Go To Bottom

Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites   Post new thread Poll:
 Pages:  1  2  3  ..  5
Author: Subject: The Arctic Skin
junk

thumbup.gif posted on 6-3-2004 at 08:04 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
The Arctic Skin

The Arctic skin by Fishy and me can be downloaded below:
(Save the zip file to eJukebox' skins folder - usually C:\Program Files\eJukebox\Skins\Arctic.zip)

http://audiosoft.net/Arctic.zip

19.07.2005:
During the lasts couple of months, Fishy has done a lot of adjusting to the skin to fit eJ's new features, including:

*Now playing images now scales better on a resized now playing panel
* Changed colors on images in artistlist and songlist
* Better looking playlist with use of gradients.

Last update:
27.06.2004 - Added albumlist colors and background files

junk has attached this image:
arcticpost.jpg - 87.71kb
View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member junk's ICQ status This User Has MSN Messenger junk's Yahoo
Fishy

posted on 6-3-2004 at 10:48 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
For those who didn't know. The green 'marsian' at the left side on that crazy coverimage is Junk. Glad I am not represented :D
*teasing*

-----------
Fishy
View User's Profile Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member Fishy's ICQ status
Audiosoft
Super Administrator

posted on 6-3-2004 at 11:14 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
Really nice work guys!! :D

Couple of things you may want to fix....
In homeview.ini you should probally change:
[Main]
BorderColor=#242DB6
to
[Main]
BorderColor=#001123

Also why not update the timeelapsed.jpg image (like the attached file) so it is not the same as timeempty.jpg and change the Border color in colors.ini like this:

[PlayTime ProgressBar]
Background=3024155
Border=3024155
nonElapsedBG=6178346

Audiosoft has attached this image:
timeelapsed.jpg - 10.67kb

:cool: Audiosoft
View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Fishy

posted on 6-4-2004 at 12:00 AM Edit Post Reply With Quote
Nice suggestions! Already tried them out and they look great. Can't belive I have overseen that it's possible to change that background in the homeview all the time.. For some reason I had decided that it was not possible :D

Thanks for pointing these out for us!

-----------
Fishy
View User's Profile Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member Fishy's ICQ status
junk

posted on 6-4-2004 at 05:32 AM Edit Post Reply With Quote
Thanks for the info, i've updated the archive so it contains these changes.

And Fishy, you had to tell, didn't you? ;P You know i got some albums by you with some mighty fine pictures of yourself as coverart... so for the next screenshot, we'll get everything out in the open. ;)
View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member junk's ICQ status This User Has MSN Messenger junk's Yahoo
Pirk
Posting Freak

posted on 6-4-2004 at 05:01 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
Congratulations! Junk and Fishy for your excellent work... Your skin look really great!

Junk, as i've read on your site that you like to redesign all the original interfaces of your computers... Have you ever tried to design a complete new theme for Windows XP? You could also apply to Windows your good "Nordic touch" than you have the secret!
If you have already made something like that on a PC i would be very interested... :)

Thanks again for your skin!
junk

posted on 6-4-2004 at 06:31 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
Aha, you must be referring to the old site at http://www.skarv.net/desk/

Actually, in 1998, me and Fishy nearly completed in a giant project for a complete graphical setup for Windows, Linux, Amiga OS - much in the style of the Arctic skin - but we gave up more or less because neither of us could handle the html coding enough to get the site the way we wanted. But we had some beautiful desktops back then. :)
Pirk
Posting Freak

posted on 6-4-2004 at 07:04 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
Ah ok... so you have already tried that with Fishy!! :) It's a shame that you give up because of the html coding... and yes, your desktops was beautiful on your Amiga!

I would like to found a "night" theme for XP with very dark menus and backgrounds, but those i've already tried only concern the desktop and its icons, not the entire windows and frames, or they are in the windows 98 style...
Fishy

posted on 6-4-2004 at 08:10 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
Pirk: Tried any shell replacements? I think they can do a few interesting things, if one configures them properly. Things like windowblinds tend to be very system heavy and bloated compared to shell replacements. Litestep is a good example of a nice shell replacement. Actually feels a bit faster than the explorer.exe shell. And there are some very clever skindevelopers in the litestep community.

Since you are talking about desktops and such I though I might bring us further off topic. This is my old Linux desktop. Not as "homemade" and stylish as Junks, but I was pretty proud of it back then :D. I actually used this thing for half a year or so. Wonder how much damage I took from it ;)

link

I used a windowmanger named enlightenment, really cool. Possible to change just about everything in the gui through configurationfiles simular to .dis files.

-----------
Fishy
Pirk
Posting Freak

posted on 6-4-2004 at 09:23 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
I've already played with windowsblind on windows 98, and linux installations too, with several harddrive partitions and a multiboot loader, and some big crashs too! But since i use win xp i've never tried something else! I've stopped my risky shell experimentations...

I don't know Litestep, i'll have a look!

Nice, your linux desktop... ;)
Fishy

posted on 6-4-2004 at 09:40 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
heh, just remember that one learns more when encountering painful problems :D

-----------
Fishy
jhlurie

posted on 6-11-2004 at 03:33 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
Great skin, guys. I've been wanting a "dark" skin for a while--too much brightness is bad for you. :-)

One really minor weakness. The collapse/expand point on the side doesn't noticeably change color when you rest your cursor on it. It only does so when you actually click on it. The default skin changes color at that point (when your cursor is simply resting on it)--making it much easier to see.

Oddly enough the collapse/expand point on the bottom DOES change color on your skin. Only the one on the side doesn't work.
Fishy

posted on 6-11-2004 at 04:00 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
Assuming that you meant the collapseborder at the right in the now playing panel: Yes there was something Fishy about that one :D

Totally my fault. Not using that function a lot therefore I (egocentrically) "forgot" to change its respective colors in the colors.ini file. I've done it now though and will upload it to Junk who will include it in the skin. (The skin is hosted at his site)

Thanks a lot! Please feel free to notify us if you see other artifacts.. I am quite sure there are more of those ;)

-----------
Fishy
junk

posted on 6-11-2004 at 04:52 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
Thanks for the feedback; just recieved the appropriate files from Fishy, and the skin is now updated with these changes:

* Vertical contractborder highlights on mouseover.
* Larger threshold and a smaller area dedicated for scrolling..
jhlurie

posted on 6-11-2004 at 05:08 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
Where's that collapseborder color set? I've re-downloaded the skin, but the behavior doesn't seem to have changed.
Fishy

posted on 6-11-2004 at 05:18 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
In colors.ini

:Interactive

[NowPlayingRight]
Background=2035712
HiBackground=6770483
Style=4

In my ej the bar lights up in light blue on mouse over. Sure that your arctic directory has become properly updated? Try to delete the /images/artic and import the skin from the tools menu. The shot shows the bar on mouse over:

http://home.online.no/~tr-nord/shotej.jpg

I start to suspect that we are talking about different collapse points here. Do you mean the image in the bottom right corner in the now playing panel? Or that long vertical bar beside the nowplaying and playlist? I changed the latter.

If you mean the black bottom right image in the now playing Junk has to take affair. He is responsible for the graphical properities of the skin.

-----------
Fishy
jhlurie

posted on 6-11-2004 at 05:44 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
I definintely mean the long vertical bar beside the nowplaying and playlist.

I don't know. It's strange. I've just checked my colors.ini, inside that zip, and the values match your new ones. The file's timestamp is updated too--I'm not using some old copy. It just plain doesn't work. It's bizarre.

I had my tansparency set to about 50%, but turning it off didn't fix the problem either. And yet, like before, the bar DOES light up when you actually click on it. But during a mouseover? Nothing. It stays black as pitch (well actually dark blue).

Nobody else here has posted about the skin, so I can't comment if its just my lone bizarre problem.
Fishy

posted on 6-11-2004 at 06:12 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
hmm I have experienced in some weird cases that I had to delete everything inside the /images/arctic/ folder and extract the files manually from the zip-file into images/arctic/ to get the skin to update correctly. Don't know if you've tried that.

However it's rather odd since your file actually matches the one in the zip. Really don't know what's going on here...

-----------
Fishy
jhlurie

posted on 6-11-2004 at 06:36 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
Wait, I misunderstood you earlier. I was looking inside the copy of the zip sitting inside the Skins folder, not the unextracted "copy" made in "images" when you first load the skin.

Yes, deleting THAT version and reloading the skin works. Alll better now.
Fishy

posted on 6-12-2004 at 05:02 AM Edit Post Reply With Quote
Jhlurie: Great! Glad it worked in the end :)

Junk: How are your gif animation skills? Realize that the animated cd in now playing (cd1.gif and cd2.gif) could need some altering to correspond with the dark colors of the skin... Maybe also follow that tip from audiosoft in another post to change the header and top image more radically.. It's also possible to have separate background images under the title, album and songname in now playing.

Maybe, if you have some time on your hands, you could play a little with those?
Pirk
Posting Freak

posted on 6-12-2004 at 01:48 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
Quote:
Maybe, if you have some time on your hands, you could play a little with those?

Read! ;) :D
Fishy

posted on 6-12-2004 at 02:12 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
Pirk: Read yourself :b I am still eagerly awaiting the htpc version of this skin.. :D

-----------
Fishy
Pirk
Posting Freak

posted on 6-12-2004 at 02:28 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
Currently i'm "working" one another completely new songlist skin... (I don't know yet if it will be good for htpcs, or not!)
Otherwise your present Arctic skin proved to be already quite good for a TV!
If a have some time... :( Sorry if i'm not always very persistent.
junk

posted on 6-13-2004 at 12:38 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
Hm, when it comes to making animgifs, i come to short, i am afraid. But the background for the text in Now playing is possible ofcourse, but what do you have in mind? Because i guess it might be even better to implement these effects directly in the now playing background, since the text positions are becoming more and more fixed (due to scrolling).
jhlurie

posted on 6-14-2004 at 05:01 AM Edit Post Reply With Quote
Quote:
Originally posted by junk
Hm, when it comes to making animgifs, i come to short, i am afraid. But the background for the text in Now playing is possible ofcourse, but what do you have in mind? Because i guess it might be even better to implement these effects directly in the now playing background, since the text positions are becoming more and more fixed (due to scrolling).

Get a program like "GIF Construction Set" to help out, or "Animation Shop" from JASC.

The Playlist area seems like a good location for an Animated GIF--it works well there as a background, although it's got to be an image that can gradually have it's top cut off as you add songs and still look good.
junk

posted on 6-14-2004 at 06:46 AM Edit Post Reply With Quote
Well, i'd hate eJukebox to become annoying in any way... so i am sceptical towards any movement, animation or otherwise, that does not attract your attention without a purpose. At the moment, i am not very happy with the scrolling the "now playing" panel, because it is distracting - but it is the only way to have big enough fonts at the moment. But i am looking forward to when Audiosoft makes a version where you can have a wider "now playing" panel. On that joyous day, we can all enjoy big fonts without having to scroll or break the lines, a large album image (300x300 would suffice), bigger buttons for the panel etc... But this is a big step and would demand a redesign from Audiosoft, so i guess it might take some time, if we get it at all.
Fishy

posted on 6-14-2004 at 02:09 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
Agree with this one. Horizontal resizing would take care of many problems. The lack of space in the playlist, possible to have larger coverimages in now playing, larger fonts etc etc... This could be a thing for 4.0 maybe? It sure would open up for a lot of possibilites...

-----------
Fishy
Pirk
Posting Freak

posted on 6-14-2004 at 04:45 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
I also would appreciate a lot to see images in 300x300 in the now playing panel!
That would make the difference in comparison to the songlist and the albumlist images... Now that album images are displayed everywhere at the same time, the now playing album needs to be better distinguished!

I also hope this development will be included from v4.0, even if i know that require a major restructuring of the layout! But as with the version 4 we will start a new version number, i also think that would be a GOOD BASIS for the futur developments of eJukebox... :)
jhlurie

posted on 6-14-2004 at 05:39 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
Quote:
Originally posted by junk
Well, i'd hate eJukebox to become annoying in any way... so i am sceptical towards any movement, animation or otherwise, that does not attract your attention without a purpose.

Yes, but you have to recall that many people use eJ in "party mode" (be it on a large monitor or TV screen) and a flashy interface is good for those occasions.

That's the good thing about skins--you can change them for different circumstances.
junk

posted on 6-14-2004 at 10:50 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
Hehe, yes, this is true as well... when in "party mode", it is nice with some action on the screen. I guess that if we get a great idea or a suggestion, we could even make two versions of the skin - one more "active", for party modes, and one more laidback, for desktop usage.
 Pages:  1  2  3  ..  5
Post new thread Poll:

Go To Top

Audiosoft Home | Download EJukebox for Windows | Register EJukebox
©2019 Audiosoft Network. All rights reserved.
[queries: 16]
HTML5 Color Picker for CSS Opacity
Short Url Service with Stats