Audiosoft Forums Last active: Never
Not logged in [Login - Register]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites   Post new thread Poll:
Author: Subject: Disable Caching?
Krobar

posted on 2-16-2004 at 10:45 AM Edit Post Reply With Quote
Disable Caching?

I run my EJukebox using a diskless system so it runs out of a ramdrive. To conserve space I was hoping someone could tell me a setting that could disable caching?

If this cant be done how much spare space does EJ need? (Its more than 20meg) Does anyone know if EJ will load the entire database into RAM if enough free physical memory is available?

Sorry to ask so many techy questions but I will help other with diskless EJ once I have perfected it myself.
junk

posted on 2-16-2004 at 11:57 AM Edit Post Reply With Quote
Diskless, meaning that you run everything from a CD-Rom drive, and no hard drive? Or am i lost here?

Well, anyway, if you do not open the album list, eJ should not demand as much memory as it would with the album list open. I don't know how much down you can cram it, as all digital jukeboxes seem to need a minimum of 20 meg RAM or more....
View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member junk's ICQ status This User Has MSN Messenger junk's Yahoo
Demnos

posted on 2-16-2004 at 12:41 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
Krobar,

I am also not sure what you mean with "caching" exactly. Do you mean the Swapfile? (Control Panel->System->Advanced->Performance Options->Virtual Memory).

The "caching" itself should be disabled in the options of the RAMDISK (does it show up in Control Panel so you can modify its options?)
Krobar

posted on 2-17-2004 at 08:18 AM Edit Post Reply With Quote
By diskless I mean no drives at all, I boot off a PXE network boot rom.

Denmos,

Yes I can disable Virtual memory and EJ seems to work OK but needs a huge amount of free disk space on the ramdrive (Its temp files balloon during use). I have to run EJ off a network drive because it will not load with 30mb free disk space and so wont fit on the ramdrive and this is very slow.

Bottom line is I can fit EJ andd its 200mb DB file on a ramdrive with 90mb ram available but EJ wont load unless you have quite alot of free space and/or virtual mem, I believe this is because it likes to create large cache files but these arent needed since in this case its running out of ram anyway. I need to disable EJs caching or run EJ off a network but ensuring that it caches the whole database in local ram.

I have 384Mb ram to configure, 85mb is needed by windows (Drive is compressed and hence 170mb takes 85mb ram). This leaves 300Mb that can be configured for Virtual memory, free space on the ramdrive or left as uncompressed ram. Trouble is I dont know what ratio works with EJ or if I need more ram. :(
Krobar

posted on 2-28-2004 at 12:24 AM Edit Post Reply With Quote
Sucess!

I can now run EJ diskless OK. Performance is pretty good on my 8000 track database using an 800mhz P3 but having more control over EJs caching would probably allow me to increase performance. Audiosoft, please please could you add this feature to the next release?

Everyone whos interested please read my post in the Your Ejukebox in action section.
Fishy

posted on 2-28-2004 at 04:12 AM Edit Post Reply With Quote
I like the idea of increased user control in the software. In my mind it's always a good idea.

But, in this case, It sounds like audiosoft have to write the ej core all over again because of this? Please bear in mind that vm isn't used for the same reasons nowadays that it was in the win9x days. Back then it was because people in general didn't have enough memory. >32mb was the norm..

Nowadays people often got 1 gb< and Xp uses Vm for other proposes. Like making caching and the software in general faster... Even if you got x amounts of ram, Xp and applications will demand some VM.. This seems to me more like an OS problem than ej's problem?

Some of these articles might provide more information about this ---> http://search.microsoft.com/search/results.aspx?st=b&na=88&View=en-us&qu=virtual+memory+xp

-----------
Fishy
View User's Profile Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member Fishy's ICQ status
Krobar

posted on 3-3-2004 at 06:41 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
EJ doesnt need VM as long as you have enough ram spare. It needs about 170mb ram when using my 190mb database. It also needs around 50mb space for temp files and such
junk

posted on 3-4-2004 at 10:01 AM Edit Post Reply With Quote
A 190 MB database??? That's the biggest i've ever come across, except when i suffered from an overgrown database. I have 20 000 mp3's now, and a database (.asn file) of about 60-70 mb. Take a look at this thread:

http://www.audiosoft.net/forums/viewthread.php?tid=304
(The interesting part begins at post #10)

And the solution to my problem:
http://www.audiosoft.net/forums/viewthread.php?tid=332
View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member junk's ICQ status This User Has MSN Messenger junk's Yahoo
Fishy

posted on 3-4-2004 at 02:40 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
Hmm.. the overgrown asn file seem to occure when ej crashes and doesn't compress the database. I have however not experienced any problems with this in 3.7. After a crash a fast restart of ej and a normal quit seems to take care of things.

But, as Junk says, that database sounds too big if you don't have 60-70000 mp3's or so. I have 17144 Mp3's and my database is 64.7 mb.

-----------
Fishy
View User's Profile Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member Fishy's ICQ status
Krobar

biggrin.gif posted on 3-4-2004 at 06:22 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
My database is now 43mb (I have 7500 mp3s) and way way faster. Diskless EJ is definitely worth it. :D

The rebuild was suprisingly fast too, 12minutes over a 100mbit network. The final part (The Case) arrives on monday, I'll post pictures then.

Big thanks guys. :cool:
Fishy

posted on 3-4-2004 at 06:53 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
Nice that it worked out for you.

Audiosoft: I don't want to nag, but it might be a good idea to make the http://www.audiosoft.net/forums/viewthread.php?tid=332 sticky?

-----------
Fishy
junk

posted on 3-5-2004 at 08:10 AM Edit Post Reply With Quote
I agree. I haven't used the rebuild ever since i discovered this. But i don't want to be doing this all the time, it is akward having to delete and copy files every time i want to get rid of some files that were automatically added to eJ's database when i just wanted to take a quick listen to a mp3 in my download dir, for instance, since eJ still doesn't skip to the next song when it encounters broken links in the database, it just stops. There! I think i've summoned up my the most annoying issues with eJ. If these are fixed;

1. Either make the rebuild function work 100% for us with id3tag images in the mp3's, or
2. Add a "clear database" which does the same as my operation
3. Make eJ skip when it encounters missing files
4. Make a "do not automatically add played files to database"

then i would be quite happy for a long time! :)
Demnos

posted on 3-5-2004 at 10:25 AM Edit Post Reply With Quote
Quote:

My database is now 43mb (I have 7500 mp3s) and way way faster. Diskless EJ is definitely worth it.

Very interesting. I wonder if it would make sense for us (non-diskless users) to also make a large RAMDISK and copy all eJukebox files to that before starting the program from that RAMDISK. I think I will give it a try to see if this would speed up eJukebox?!!?!
Krobar

posted on 3-5-2004 at 07:01 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
Denmos,

Probably would help but you would not want to use a dos ramdisk since it is 16bit and slow. My system running 16bit dos ramdisk with 16bit compression is only a tad faster than my Seagate Barracuda. There are Windows ramdisks though that give full 32bit performance and would be perfect for what you suggest (These ramdisks are unfortunately unsuitable for diskless systems). I was thinking of running windows off a compressed ramdisk and EJ off a 32bit ramdisk but will not have time to try that for a while.

This is an example of a rather awesome (But quite pricey) ramdisk:
http://www.superspeed.com/ramdiskplus.html
cbsoundman

posted on 3-8-2004 at 10:02 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
I do like the technology behind RAM disks. I think you are going to see a lot more of these since there are no moving parts, increasing its reliability as well as making access times a lot faster.
junk

posted on 3-9-2004 at 09:29 AM Edit Post Reply With Quote
Aha... we used to do this a lot in the old Amiga days. We mounted what we called RAD: drives, creating a drive from RAM, where you selected the amount of KB or MB you wanted to allocate for this. It was very sweet. Yet took up too much memory from the system resources, since i only had 512 KB of RAM at the time. But i am thinking of getting a gigabyte of RAM now anyway, so then this solution does sound interesting.
Fishy

posted on 3-9-2004 at 03:40 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
ah :D those were the days...

-----------
Fishy
cbsoundman

posted on 3-10-2004 at 06:11 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
I still have a C64 somewhere in my basement...I wonder if a museum wants it?
Fishy

posted on 3-10-2004 at 08:20 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
And I will become a rich man when I sell my A1200/030 to a technical museum in about 50 years :D It feels good to have that kind of economical ensurement *lol* ;) This is getting very off topic..

-----------
Fishy
Krobar

posted on 3-10-2004 at 10:46 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
Just to let you all know. EJ doesnt need any virtual memory providing you have enough ram spare.

I completed my jukebox today and it is running with no virtual memory and uses 256mb ram compressed to 512Mb as a ramdisk which leaves 256mb spare for standard ram duties. Performance is very good.

Ive posted a picture and a few other details in the "Show you EJ in action forum".

Ive still got a Spectrum with an external tape drive, wonder if I can make EJ run on that. :)
Post new thread Poll:

Go To Top

Audiosoft Home | Download EJukebox for Windows | Register EJukebox
©2019 Audiosoft Network. All rights reserved.
[queries: 16]
HTML5 Color Picker for CSS Opacity
Short Url Service with Stats