Not logged in [Login - Register]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites   Post new thread Poll:
 Pages:  1  2
Author: Subject: ejukebox 4.1 partial load of mp3 folder to DB
crlove

posted on 10-21-2006 at 05:27 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
ejukebox 4.1 partial load of mp3 folder to DB

Trying to give ejukebox another try since it's days of 3.xx. First machine I loaded it on a 1gb processor with a 1 gb of mem DB load ran for 5 hours loaded 18933 mp3s of 59496 mp3s then froze. Rebooted PC ejukebox will run ok but with only a partial library of my mp3s. Question is why it didn't load the whole mp3 library. Is there anyway to find where it stopped maybe a bad tag. My 3 days are slipping away quickly I guess it goes on dates not time because I loaded it around 10:00pm last night and today I have 2 days left at 10:00am.
I'm trying it on a Dual core 3.1 GHz machine with 2 gb of memory. This time I loaded it early in the morning to get the full day.
We'll see what happens on the db this time. 2 hours 21500 mp3s loaded so far no lockup.
Pirk
Posting Freak

posted on 10-21-2006 at 07:00 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
59496 mp3s? :cool: I hope you succeed.. :)

eJukebox works good for me until around 38000 files, I've never tried beyond that.. But normally there should be no reason it doesn't work!
Sure that you will need the 3 days to polish your database.. But anyway I think a purchase seems essential if you want to profit a so large collection. ;)

:cool: Pirk
crlove

posted on 10-21-2006 at 07:50 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
3 days is short but hopefully I'll get my testing in

I'm not sure why Audiosoft didn’t make it 30 days again on the new version 4.x or at least 15 days. If as Audiosoft mentioned on other forums the time invested and the future commitment is why the price for Pro/lifetime is $69.95. A full evaluation time of 30 days with each major version release would seem reasonable before buying. Last time I tried eJukebox with my large collection (30+ years of LPs and CDs converted to mp3) it took several days for performance issues to show up. Unfortunately they too were DB issues and freezing. Have these problems truly been fixed?
I have DSD Jukebox as an mp3 jukebox till all the bugs are worked out with eJukebox 4.x. DSD Jukebox isn't as graphical but has touch screen settings, works with winamp/shoutcast and has a web interface for choosing music to play over the internet. Best of all it's free (donate if you like which I did) no time limits on testing.
I would love to switch to eJukebox and pay for the full package with upgrades I don't feel I'm going to have enough time to adequately test. 4 hours of DB loading 34000 mp3s and counting on a dual core 3.1 GHz with 2 GB mem local mp3 files.

Once again I don't mind paying the fee if I get a product that is as dependable no lockups with quick lookups.
Pirk
Posting Freak

posted on 10-21-2006 at 08:19 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
I agree, 3 days is too short for a evaluation.. A new 30 days trial would be welcome for those like you who want to try again eJukebox after the last improvements.

Personnally, if I was in your situation, I would evaluate eJ on another HD or another PC to have the 30 days again! Currently since 2 months I'm evaluating Vista on a second HD: Included Live OneCare (A antivirus-firewall-cleaning and backup tool!), IE7, MP11, plus Office 2007! Full versions and free upgrades.. And the trial period run until June 2007! - Maybe Audiosoft should be inspired by the Microsoft example, 30 days is not so long! - But for the moment I keep XP and all my other programs and documents on the first drive. Vista has already crashed my test drive once!!

crlove, Why don't you do that for eJukebox? If you have a old HD under the hand.. even a small one! :D

Audiosoft, I think you could convince some undecided customers who don't like to format.. You have nothing to lose, 30 days is nothing!

Audiosoft
Super Administrator

posted on 10-21-2006 at 09:15 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
clove...if it locks up when setting up the music database it should show the last file name that was being worked on. If you can't see the last file on the database setup window when it freezes you can figure out what the last file was by looking at the last file listed in C:\Program Files\eJukebox\db.m3u (btw never manually update/change db.m3u). Make sure the last file listed is not corrupted. If it is...delete it from the drive and proceed by 'adding new music' instead of starting from scratch and rebuilding the whole database. Good luck. The reason it isn't another 30 day trial is because everyone gets the 3 days...even if they used v4.0 for the 30 days. There was no way for me to make it know if you expired under 3.x vs 4.0...so giving a 30 day extension would end up giving all new users 60 days.

:cool: Audiosoft
View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Pirk
Posting Freak

posted on 10-21-2006 at 10:11 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
Audiosoft,

Just a idea... Maybe eJukebox could write a log file during the install and also during the database building? So that would be more easy for users to locate and report any crash.

crlove

posted on 10-21-2006 at 10:56 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
I took audiosofts advice and looked at the db.m3u on the frozen system (1Ghz processor and 1GB mem)
remote mp3 files. The last file was

"N:\All_Music\Music K-Z\S\Strawbs\The Very Best Of, Strawbs; Halcyon Days (CD2)\Strawbs - The Very Best Of, Strawbs; Halcyon Days (CD2) - 16 - Hanging In The Gallery.mp3"

It is an extremely long path could this be the issue? If so should ejukebox have error handling to solve this or is winamp creating the list for you? Either way seems there should be error handling to resolve this issue. I guess I'll to try Pirks suggestion and get a drive to reformat every month for ejukebox. That seems like the wrong thing to do because that seems more like cheating Audiosoft than a long trial would be. With a good drive image program and about 30 minutes you could have an unlimited trial.

7 ½ hours of DB loading 48500 mp3s and counting on a dual core 3.1 GHz with 2 GB mem local mp3 files. Same mp3s that failed on the other system no failure yet.

By the way the system that froze has froze again when 'adding new music' feature was tried.
Audiosoft
Super Administrator

posted on 10-21-2006 at 11:17 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
the only time I know of where the database update will freeze when trying to add a song is when it encounters corrupted files or torrent based downloads that have not finished or started downloading. The id3 tag read takes forever to figure out there is no tag so it appears frozen for a very long time before it kicks in again. I am looking into creating a timeout so the tag reader gives up on these files instead of taking forever to go to the next file.

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Pirk
Posting Freak

posted on 10-22-2006 at 12:12 AM Edit Post Reply With Quote
Quote:
Message original : crlove
I guess I'll to try Pirks suggestion and get a drive to reformat every month for ejukebox. That seems like the wrong thing to do because that seems more like cheating Audiosoft than a long trial would be. With a good drive image program and about 30 minutes you could have an unlimited trial.

That was not my idea to do that on the long run! Even with a drive image program.. I don't think that is realistic, every month!? Good luck! :D
I suggest you to do like me: Buy a life time licence, even if the product is not perfect, then you will have all the necessary time to experiment the program and report bugs! eJukebox deserves itself..

crlove

posted on 10-22-2006 at 01:11 AM Edit Post Reply With Quote
speed up the database creation

Audiosoft "I am looking into creating a timeout so the tag reader gives up on these files instead of taking forever to go to the next file. "

I like that idea it will speed up the database creation. Although I pride myself on my files ID3 tags completeness I have some that are missing tags or maybe corrupt. You could log failed tags and no tags to a txt log for cleaning up DB issues.

9 ½ hours of DB loading 54545 mp3s and counting on a dual core 3.1 GHz with 2 GB mem local mp3 files. Same mp3s that failed on the other system no failure yet.
Audiosoft
Super Administrator

posted on 10-22-2006 at 01:26 AM Edit Post Reply With Quote
clove,

i am curious...how large is your C:\Program Files\eJukebox\ejuke.asn file right now?

crlove

posted on 10-22-2006 at 04:12 AM Edit Post Reply With Quote
ejuke.asn

ejuke.asn 579972 kb with 58901 mp3s
Fishy

posted on 10-22-2006 at 05:01 AM Edit Post Reply With Quote
Crlove: Have you tried to actually delete the asn file? Alternatively move it to another location than the ejukebox directory.

If I am not wrong, ejukebox should automatically generate a new fresh one if it is missing in the directory. I don't think your asn file is unproportionally big, when taking the amount of mp3s into account. But, it is worth a try.

This procedure helped me a few times when having trouble rebuilding the database. However, that was with an old version of ejukebox. I've experienced in some rare cases that ejukebox have failed to generate a clean asn file when rebuilding, and instead used the old asn.file as point of departure. This have resulted in an extramly big asn file in some cases.

As I mentioned, I don't know if this is the case here, but it is worth a shot.

-----------
Fishy
View User's Profile Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member Fishy's ICQ status
Pirk
Posting Freak

posted on 10-22-2006 at 09:55 AM Edit Post Reply With Quote
If I was him I would start more modestly.. then add more files once eJukebox works fine. I proceed like that in fact!

Audiosoft,
One or two things that could help for your corporate image:
- On first run, eJukebox could start with a demo database: Many covers, but only a few seconds for each files. I'm not really a big fan of that, but that would show all the power of the program at once.
- Once the first 1000 files are loaded, eJukebox could continue to scan the HD in the background.. So it would start working more promptly, avoiding this kind of issue:
Quote:
9 � hours of DB loading 54545 mp3s

It could even continue to scan the next time(s), if you close eJ before the end.. OK, I suppose that is not so easy to program! ;)

Audiosoft
Super Administrator

posted on 10-22-2006 at 10:15 AM Edit Post Reply With Quote
crlove,
is 58901 mp3s is where it stopped or if it is still adding files?

crlove

posted on 10-22-2006 at 03:34 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
final numbers

Final numbers 12 3/4 hours to load DB with 59496 mp3s. The ejuke.asn was 612904kb. This test was performed on a dual core 3.1 GHz with 2 GB mem local mp3 files.
Pirk
Posting Freak

posted on 10-22-2006 at 03:45 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
Congratulations for your perseverance crlove!

And how many songs do you have in your eJukebox Homeview stats?

crlove

posted on 10-22-2006 at 05:08 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
Quote:
Originally posted by Pirk
Congratulations for your perseverance crlove!

And how many songs do you have in your eJukebox Homeview stats?

"59447 songs in your eJukebox" is what is shown which would mean I suppose that 49 were not able to be added to the jukebox DB.
Pirk
Posting Freak

posted on 10-22-2006 at 06:48 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
Ok, thanks. Only 49 songs missing out of 59496? Well, it's almost perfect! Your collection seems very clean. Respects.

It seems I have 1262 songs missing out of 37415! Very strange... :o

Audiosoft
Super Administrator

posted on 10-22-2006 at 10:23 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
Pirk,

I do not believe your eJukebox is actually missing any songs. Check my reply to your missing songs post for the explanation.

Pirk
Posting Freak

posted on 10-23-2006 at 11:42 AM Edit Post Reply With Quote
Reply checked.. I was wrong! Thanks.

crlove

thumbup.gif posted on 10-25-2006 at 06:58 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
Final results

I was able to run eJUKEBOX for 2 1/2 days on the dual core 3.1 GHz XP system. The only issues I observed where that eJUKEBOX console access was stopped during song information updates in the now playing window. The scrolling albums function during times of inactivity always restarts at the beginning next time it starts. A random or first letter of last artists picked would give a better variety. I know my first 200 albums by heart after 3 days. The DB build could be a little faster and it would be nice if it had monitor folder function to watch for new music files.

I was never able to load the same mp3s on the 1 GHz machine the DB kept hanging around 189xx. It may have been related to one particular MP3 and it wasn't till I was on my third load of the db after I removed the bad MP3 then it looked as if the load might continue past 189xx but time ran out before it finished.

My 3 days were done...........

Audiosoft did say that I could purchase eJUKEBOX for the slower system and if it didn't work he would transfer it to the faster machine for free.

I think that eJUKEBOX is a slick interface to your MP3 collection. I've looked around for a few years and have not seen anything with touch, keyboard/mouse and web access that has as nice of a looking interface as the eJUKEBOX. The Web interface is simple but very functional.
Pirk
Posting Freak

posted on 10-25-2006 at 07:28 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
crlove,

All your remarks are very pertinents! I totally agree:
- Indeed, the auto-srolling albums function would need a better variety! ;) Maybe it could just restart from where it stopped?
- A monitor folder(s) function would be interresting..
- eJukebox is simply unique..

crlove

posted on 10-25-2006 at 07:37 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
purchased pro

During this week Audiosoft discounted the products by $10.00. EjUKEBOXs uniqueness and the discount sold me I'm a pro user now.
Pirk
Posting Freak

posted on 10-25-2006 at 07:49 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
Bravo crlove! You are Welcome in the eJukebox International community!

I count on your regular contribution to the Audiosoft forums, so that eJukebox continue to be improved thanks to your fresh ideas.. Audiosoft is very receptive! :)

PS: I haved not seen the sales! Come on! only 2 days left.. :o

Fishy

posted on 10-25-2006 at 08:24 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
Crlove: I am in full support of more variety in the autoscroll. When having a large collection, it is kindof irritating that it starts from the very beginning every time. The most logical would be to continue from where it left off at the last scroll?

A folder monitor is a tremendous idea! It would almost make rebuilding obsolete. With such a function, one would only have to rebuild in rare cases (e.g. moving a lot of mp3s over to another drive etc.). No need for manual adding either, a true victory for lazyness. It may be very difficult to program though?

Another suggestion: Is it possible to make the "updating" window during rebuild not stay on top. I would like to throw it to the background. Like it is now it is blocking the view :)

-----------
Fishy
View User's Profile Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member Fishy's ICQ status
Audiosoft
Super Administrator

posted on 10-26-2006 at 01:14 AM Edit Post Reply With Quote
I should be able to get the autoscroll to start from where it was instead of the top. That is a good idea. I will get to work on that.

I will also change it so once the database update window starts searching/adding songs it is no longer stays locked on top of other windows.

As far as automatically monitoring for new files in a folder...that is possible. The only problem is with downloaded music. Say you start to download a song and eJukebox tries to add it before it is finishes downloading. The tag reader would not be able to get the correct info and would possibly cause eJukebox to freeze when trying to import the incomplete files.

crlove

posted on 10-26-2006 at 02:30 AM Edit Post Reply With Quote
Download issue

I never put downloaded or ripped music directly into my library I usually put it in a temporary area for further work. BPM, cover art, lyrics, folderize it and then put it into the Music library folder were it would be found by eJUKEBOX.

Althogh having eJUKEBOX freeze up on bad tags randomly may not be worth the option.
Fishy

posted on 10-26-2006 at 08:58 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
The autoscroll improvement will be very welcome
As well as the small one to the update window :)
Thank you!

Is it possible to make the update manager display more information by the way, without using significantly more resources? Things like directorynames and bitrates pop to mind.

Hmm.. Maybe ejukebox could check whether the tags are valid or not, and if they are invalid then ignore.

I don't know what that will be when translated to C++ :)

-----------
Fishy
crlove

posted on 10-26-2006 at 10:39 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
1GHz PC running

As mentioned earlier in this thread I had issues loading the DB on a 1GHz system with the MP3s located on a remote system. It was suggested that I look at the DB.m3u to find out what the last file was and remove it. I did and after a bit of db load time (22 hours) I have 59479 loaded in the DB. Still a different number than the faster 3.1 GHz had with local MP3s 59496. The 1 GHz system with W2000 is working nicely with the ELO 15" Touch screen and sound card wired to my Stereo. I like to keep my main system 3.1 GHz available for Video, Photo & Music editing and of course reading the Audiosoft forum. Now I need to get the wireless for my IPAQ working to use the web interface from the comfort of my chair.
I looked forward to many hours of eNJOYMENT from eJUKEBOX. Thanks to everyone for your help during my initial setup.

I'll post any further suggestions in the Requested Features forum.
 Pages:  1  2
Post new thread Poll:

Go To Top

Audiosoft Home | Download EJukebox for Windows | Register EJukebox
©2019 Audiosoft Network. All rights reserved.
[queries: 16]
HTML5 Color Picker for CSS Opacity
Short Url Service with Stats