Audiosoft Forums Last active: Never
Not logged in [Login - Register]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites   Post new thread Poll:
 Pages:  1  2
Author: Subject: Allow BIG player BUTTONS: The "logical" next improvement!
Pirk
Posting Freak

posted on 6-14-2005 at 09:29 AM Edit Post Reply With Quote
Allow BIG player BUTTONS: The "logical" next improvement!

Since eJ v3.98 Beta the Now Playing panel have taken a new dimension, in case someone isn't aware: Big cover arts look great! :cool:
However now I think the next step would be to allow some large buttons for the player controls:
There is a lot of unused space horizontally... So it just would be necessary to lightly increase the height of the buttons row. Plus a way to specify the exact position of each button in the nowplaying.dis file (like for the songlist history buttons in color.ini).
And maybe it would also be necessary to add a "minimun panel width" and a "minimum panel hight" parameters in order that the large buttons will never become hidden when the user reduce the panel.

Audiosoft, I'm sure this improvement would nicely put the finishing touches to the Now Playing panel! :D

Thanks. :)

:cool: Pirk
CiXel

posted on 6-14-2005 at 01:35 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
I WHOLEHEARTEDLY agree.

This would be a GREAT option for those who need it. And Not only in the Now Playing panel... I'd love to have a larger triangle in the song list for Play Now. As a touchscreen user, when I flipped off of EJ for a moment due to the song limit bug, I was using a program that had bigger buttons, and it made a world of differece in useability when I didn't have to worry so much about exactly where my finger was landing. Almost made it a little more enjoyable. Upon returning to EJ with the latest beta, it was really one of the things that I missed.
Audiosoft
Super Administrator

posted on 6-14-2005 at 06:51 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
Larger play controls would be nice. The only thing is eJukebox must still support 800x600....so the playcontrols would have to be able to skrink down enough to fit the left panel wifth. I will see what I can do. Maybe a total redesign of the play control area is in order. If you have any ideas feel free to post images of what you think it should look like.

Also, v3.98 final will be out this week and will, among other things, allow you to click the area around the play now icon in the songlist to play the song ....which will make it work nicer on touchscreens if you miss the actual play icon....kinda like how the v3.98 beta allows you to click the area around the songtitle to add it to the playlist.

:cool: Audiosoft
View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
rlailey

posted on 6-14-2005 at 10:09 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
Quote:
Originally posted by Audiosoft
The only thing is eJukebox must still support 800x600...

...perhaps if we were able to skin around this problem by specifying bigger button images in a 'supersize' skin?

I've already tried this :( but it doesn't work
Pirk
Posting Freak

posted on 6-14-2005 at 10:21 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
OK Audiosoft... thanks for taking larger play controls in consideration. That will be great! :)

To keep 800x600 support: Maybe in this res you could remove the time counter and get back the free space for the new large buttons?
That could works like in the current playlist: the songs length appears automatically when you stretch the panel enough...

Demnos

posted on 6-15-2005 at 08:41 AM Edit Post Reply With Quote
Quote:
Originally posted by Pirk
To keep 800x600 support: Maybe in this res you could remove the time counter and get back the free space for the new large buttons?

Pirk, you are surely joking right? The Time Counter is essential information.

Quote:

That could works like in the current playlist: the songs length appears automatically when you stretch the panel enough...

Yeah, if you can stretch at all. In 800x600 there is nothing to stretch at the moment...
Pirk
Posting Freak

posted on 6-15-2005 at 11:48 AM Edit Post Reply With Quote
Hi Demnos! I waited your reply... :P
OK, of course I understand and I respect your opinion. ;) I know the little space you have in 800x600...

1) So, maybe we could find another place for the time counter?

2) Or maybe Audiosoft will prefer to move (not remove!) 2 or 3 nonessential buttons using a trick so that they only appear when necessary:
Maybe a ">>" button on the right side (like in IE/Windows when you shrink a window much, a nice vertical stretching menu make up for horizontal space lacking...)
It's a good idea no? :)

3) Unless we opt for the solution proposed by rlailey: a 'supersize' skin? I think his idea is good too! :D

I don't know what Audiosoft will prefer to do, but now we have 3 acceptable solutions I think! ;)

Pirk
Posting Freak

posted on 6-15-2005 at 05:46 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
4) Open a subcription in order to give to Demnos a large touchscreen! :D
Well, I still joke of course... :P

;)

stsirois

posted on 6-16-2005 at 03:53 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
Count me in as an 800x600 user. I don't quite understand (probably because I can't it) why you folks who run higher resolutions would want bigger buttons. Wouldn't you want larger fonts for text as well? Doessnt this then lead you down the road to using a resolution like 800x600? Just curious to see how the other half lives :D...

Thanks,
Steve
Pirk
Posting Freak

posted on 6-16-2005 at 07:18 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
Hi stsirois! :)
Ah OK... It seems you want to benefit from the subscription you too!? No no no... that will not work! :D

Steve, it's a shame that we don't talk the same language. As you know my english is very low... so I have some difficulties to explain me clearly, I'm sorry of that but I'll try even though:

1) You know my 15" monitor (800x600) is very old now... and it's only a CRT screen: I mean since I have a 17" LCD screen (1280x1024) sure I don't want to return to my old glassball! Of course I could eventually run eJukebox in 800x600 on my new screen, but LCD displays don't look great when you don't use their native res, so in my case it's 1280x1024 or nothing... It's the life! (The progress...)

2) When you increase the resolution, you increase the detail (finesse) of your display. So you can see much more things and elements on the page. A program like eJukebox which had been conceived for a lower resolution (800x600) needs a few restructuring, but at the end we will obtain a better version of eJ:
Big play controls and a lot of detail like a "true" playlist, a large nowplaying panel (nice cover art), a nice songlist, a comfortable albumlist.
You can't have so much things on only one page in 800x600... and I'm sure the day where like me you will try a larger screen res you could not return to your previous screen... OK I think it's a TV in your case! But the HD TV coming soon you know... ;)

Thanks.

rlailey

posted on 6-16-2005 at 09:43 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
...the same for us widescreen 16:9 users as well 1184x666 - eJ stretches well at this res but this extra width make the buttons look a touch small
CiXel

posted on 6-17-2005 at 01:28 AM Edit Post Reply With Quote
Even in 800 x 600 land I've always desired Finger sized buttons for my touchscreen, even if it's at the expense of the amount of information displayed. Maybe it could be a SWITCH or preference that one could Toggle. "Enable Large Buttons" or something to the like. It could even be a 1024+ add-on, kinda like the expanded info switch. What about the idea of a Tranport Bar that could sit on the bottom of the screen? It could act something like the artist panel does now. When it collapsed it could show all the things the current panel does now in the smallish fashion. Play, Foward, and time with the seek fuction etc... But when you hit a button on the side of the panel, it expands and you can have a large finger sized icons and perhaps a bigger time display. The icons could be resized from this "large" size down to the small requirements as has been done. This would also allow it to be used on a 800 x 600 setup as well.
This is just my inital brainstorm... Hopefully we'll be able to refine it a bit.

On a side note, the only reason I changed from 800x600 to 1024x768 was due to the fact that when I switched to a LCD touchscreen that was the native resolution.
Fishy

posted on 8-9-2005 at 03:05 AM Edit Post Reply With Quote
I also feel that larger play controls would be a reasonable and benifical addition, as I run ejukebox in 1600x1200 ;) Might sound like overkill, but it's not :D
The only problems I have are the play control buttons and the albumlist scrollbar which tend to grow too small.

How should the larger controls be implemented? Maybe a fast resolution detection on install is the way to go and install the correct play controls in accordance with that. This detection could also tell ejukebox if edv should be enabled or disabled, by default. I think many users running ejukebox for the first time, at a larger resolution (than 800x600), don't understand that the data view of ejukebox can be extended. This due to the fact that the edv function is disabled by default for these users too. That is before they accidently hit the edv button and get their "halleluja" ;)

Also, when I am at it, I can't avoid noticing all the room in the playlist which comes available due to the now playing resizing. Together with song durability one could for instance add small coverimages, popularity meters and bitrate of songs. The possibilities are huge. Sorry for the long post :P

-----------
Fishy
View User's Profile Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member Fishy's ICQ status
Pirk
Posting Freak

posted on 8-9-2005 at 09:03 AM Edit Post Reply With Quote
Good Fishy! Thank you for your support concerning large play controls. Yes, now I think it's a necessity...
Thanks also for your transcription in a more intelligible English! ;)
The last reply of Audiosoft for this request was something like: "I will see what I can do". So I hope that Audiosoft is currently working on large graphics for play controls! :cool:

I think your idea of resolution detection on install is good.

Of course I also hope for small cover images in the playlist! (Like in Junks visions... ;) ) And I agree that the addition of popularity meters and bitrate of songs would be very useful too. :)

Thanks.

Fishy

posted on 8-10-2005 at 07:04 AM Edit Post Reply With Quote
hehe, I think you should stop complaining about your own english mate. I think its perfectly good and you make the stereotype stating that french people can't speak english seem.. not very plausible. It also seems to mature like a good french wine ;)

Back at ejukebox I think audiosoft requested a draft on how these play controls should look like. I could probably draw them in my head, but since my drawing skills haven't developed much since kindergarden, I would like to hand that job over to someone more skilled in that art than myself. I have said and done a few things on this forum, but you will never see me draw :b Could you make a sketch Pirk?

-----------
Fishy
View User's Profile Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member Fishy's ICQ status
Pirk
Posting Freak

posted on 8-10-2005 at 08:49 AM Edit Post Reply With Quote
OK Fishy. Mais si tout le monde parlait français, ça serait quand même plus simple, non? (But if everybody would speak French that would be more easy, no?)
Maybe the Americans will also adopt our language... like our wine! :D

Otherwise I'm not good for design neither... :P

Fishy

posted on 8-10-2005 at 09:25 AM Edit Post Reply With Quote
It sure would be simpler, for you at least :b I for one had to use an online translator :D But it sure is a nice lanuage, sounds more sophisticated than english in many ways..

Men, kanskje alle burde ha snakket norsk istedet? ;)

-----------
Fishy
Pirk
Posting Freak

posted on 8-10-2005 at 08:40 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
Quote:
Message original : Fishy
Men, kanskje alle burde ha snakket norsk istedet? ;)

What? A message from Mars? :D

Fishy

posted on 8-11-2005 at 01:57 AM Edit Post Reply With Quote
Yepp we're coming to get you.. Hey, that's the way I talk daily :D

Du vil bli straffet for din holdning :) (you're attitude will be punished) hmm maybe from now on I should speak my native language and put english behind? Or maybe that would be a bad idea :D

-----------
Fishy
Pirk
Posting Freak

posted on 8-12-2005 at 08:41 AM Edit Post Reply With Quote
Kvifor? :)

Blaze

posted on 8-13-2005 at 10:39 AM Edit Post Reply With Quote
Stop så I to! :)
Pirk
Posting Freak

posted on 8-13-2005 at 12:21 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
Hvordan? :)

junk

posted on 8-14-2005 at 10:15 AM Edit Post Reply With Quote
Har alle blitt rablende gale? :)

Ofcourse, we need big buttons, and multiple "up next" songs with miniature album images. EJ has become very much like the program i so eagerly wished for it to be, and these abovementioned things are a few of the features i still miss from my old suggestion mock-up image.

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member junk's ICQ status This User Has MSN Messenger junk's Yahoo
Pirk
Posting Freak

posted on 8-14-2005 at 01:58 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
Quote:
Message original : junk

Of course... :D :(

Quote:
Message original : junk
Ofcourse, we need big buttons, and multiple "up next" songs with miniature album images. EJ has become very much like the program i so eagerly wished for it to be, and these abovementioned things are a few of the features i still miss from my old suggestion mock-up image.

Audiosoft,

The ball is in your camp! :)

Fishy

posted on 8-14-2005 at 11:06 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
Quote:
Originally posted by junk

Hehe, ja. Vi er alle blitt til siklende norsktalende monster ;)

-----------
Fishy
Pirk
Posting Freak

posted on 8-14-2005 at 11:25 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
A Norvegian monster? :o
Ah ok... That must be the terrifying "Monster of ices"! :D

Audiosoft
Super Administrator

posted on 4-19-2006 at 04:29 AM Edit Post Reply With Quote
I am having a hard time coming up with larger play controls.
Maybe someone can provide a screenshot of how you would like them to look so I can make it possible. Maybe just some controls from another program overlayed on eJukebox in Photoshop. I am not sure if just increasing the size of the current buttons or totally redoing the layout for them (and the progress bar/time) is in order. Regardless, I will make sure that current skins look the same as they do now in the future unless they are updated for larger controls.

:cool: Audiosoft
View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
CiXel

posted on 4-21-2006 at 03:08 AM Edit Post Reply With Quote
I can't photoshop, so let me just say this...
The two most importanly buttons to have bigger for me are the PLAY?PAUSE and the NEXT button.
If you could remove those buttons from the row they are on now, and put those two underneath and BIGGER that would be a viable option, and wouldn't impact the layout or skins to a great extent.

Also you could place an optional overlay bar on the bottom of the screen that could be toggled on and off. This could contain a play toggle button, next and maybe even a larger version of the time bar . I'll try to think about it and be more descriptive when I have a little more.
Pirk
Posting Freak

posted on 4-21-2006 at 08:23 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
Here is my screenshot for the new Play Controls:

Pirk has attached this image:
Play Controls.jpg - 233.46kb

CiXel

posted on 4-21-2006 at 08:31 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
Good idea... get rid of the option and viz button and put them somewhere else (maybe the bottom of the playlist?) You could even get rid of the volume slider, and that would help maintain button largeness when the Cover window isn't that large (I don't use it personally and keep it hidden)
 Pages:  1  2
Post new thread Poll:

Go To Top

Audiosoft Home | Download EJukebox for Windows | Register EJukebox
©2019 Audiosoft Network. All rights reserved.
[queries: 16]
HTML5 Color Picker for CSS Opacity
Short Url Service with Stats