Audiosoft Forums Last active: Never
Not logged in [Login - Register]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites   Post new thread Poll:
 Pages:  1  2
Author: Subject: Allow BIG player BUTTONS: The "logical" next improvement!
Pirk
Posting Freak

posted on 4-21-2006 at 09:23 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
And the small version!

if you prefer... :D

Pirk has attached this image:
Play Controls small.jpg - 109.21kb

:cool: Pirk
CiXel

posted on 4-21-2006 at 09:45 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
Mmmm... Tight counterpart ;)

Seems like it'll work. I wonder how big it would have to be to be fingerable on a 10.5 1024x768 touchscreen...
Audiosoft
Super Administrator

posted on 5-17-2006 at 07:35 AM Edit Post Reply With Quote
How about skinnable buttons and slider with a layout something like this?

Whatever it ends up being it will have to fit this width. I do not want to make it show extra controls only when the width is larger. They all need to be visible at 800x600. << |> >> are essential. Feal free to post other images of what you want it to look like using this width. The buttons will be centered when the width is larger. The background will contain the button backgound/ slider which will be stretched horizontally to fill the width. If you can come up with a different layout with this same width and include skinned new or old time, volume, settings, vis, and show/hide right side buttons I will consider using it instead. It would be nice if it looked good with the default or other skin.

Audiosoft has attached this image:
EJ4buttons.jpg - 38.73kb

:cool: Audiosoft
View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
CiXel

posted on 5-17-2006 at 04:58 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
I think the skinable idea is a great idea, and what you've come up with it along the right lines.

I would remove the stop buttom entirely, merge the Play/Pause buttons into one as it is currently, and make the Play/Pause button take up the size of the 3 middle bottons with the foward on the last button, and the reverse on the first. The you woul have a BIG play pause button which is probably used most often.

The other option I thought of which I don't like as much, is get rid of the stop button, make the first single button the reverse, and then double the button sizes for play/pause and for the forward as well.

Those are my thoughts.
Pirk
Posting Freak

posted on 5-17-2006 at 09:37 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
Quote:
I would remove the stop buttom entirely, merge the Play/Pause buttons into one as it is currently, and make the Play/Pause button take up the size of the 3 middle bottons with the foward on the last button, and the reverse on the first. The you woul have a BIG play pause button which is probably used most often.

I also like the idea of a play/pause button more large than the << and >> buttons.
So that could look something like that: (from a new thing that is now running on my PC! But in fact ONLY the play buttons look better than those of eJukebox.. :))

mp11.jpg - 23.05kb

Audiosoft
Super Administrator

posted on 5-18-2006 at 07:05 AM Edit Post Reply With Quote
I like it. how about something like this?

if not we really need to figure out what to do about the rest of the controls because it does not look good stacked on top of the current time/slider and buttons.

Untitled-11.jpg - 58.59kb

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
CiXel

posted on 5-18-2006 at 02:07 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
I looks kinda weird sitting on the bottom like that. What if the time slider bar was above the transport buttons. It could be in a similar icon style (like if you mushed the foward and backward buttons together in a tube) and would fill up with blue or whatever color to show where in the song it was at. It doesn't even have to be as think. That would also make it easier for touchscreens to pull the song back and forth as opposed to the litttle triangle.
Pirk
Posting Freak

posted on 5-18-2006 at 07:00 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
Here is my last paste-up:

ej buttons.jpg - 106.51kb

Pirk
Posting Freak

posted on 5-18-2006 at 07:12 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
Unless you prefer this version?

ej buttons2.jpg - 105.29kb

Pirk
Posting Freak

posted on 5-18-2006 at 07:37 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
Or this one..

ej buttons3.jpg - 107.01kb

Audiosoft
Super Administrator

posted on 5-18-2006 at 07:59 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
Nice work Pirk!

Hmm...maybe the vol, contol panel, and exp buttons can be to the left/right of the < |> > buttons instead of above/below. There is allot of usable space to the sides of those < |> > buttons.

Pirk
Posting Freak

posted on 5-18-2006 at 08:13 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
Thanks!

Of course there is a lot of space when eJ is enlarged, that would be perfect all on one line!
But when eJ is in 800x600 I fear there is only room for 2 other buttons on the same line?

Audiosoft
Super Administrator

posted on 5-19-2006 at 04:32 AM Edit Post Reply With Quote
the only thing is the height of the play button is probally too much. how about this?

Untitled-12.jpg - 44.04kb

CiXel

posted on 5-19-2006 at 06:03 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
That's more along the lines. If we made the play button smaller maybe it could be a bit wider like an oval? Actually it could work as a whole with the round play buttong as long as the click area was larger than the actual buttons no matter what size. So there would be three big areas to click into, just the icon sizes would be smaller than the actual click area.
Pirk
Posting Freak

posted on 5-19-2006 at 07:15 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
Yeah, maybe the play button could be oval. But I think the result when eJukebox is enlarged also matter a lot: I would not the buttons look too small again because of the compatibility with 800x600! That would be really a shame..
Furthermore, we need larger buttons precisely when the resolution is more than 800x600!!

So for large widths I think the play button need to be at least as large than on this paste-up:
Plus, all the other buttons would need to be on the same line..

ej buttons5.jpg - 189.69kb

Pirk
Posting Freak

posted on 5-19-2006 at 07:48 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
So, for me, the 'best' look when eJ is enlarged would be something like this:

ej buttons6.jpg - 186.74kb

Pirk
Posting Freak

posted on 5-19-2006 at 08:41 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
If the buttons are less large, I think that won't look so good when eJ is enlarged:

ej buttons7.jpg - 185.57kb

Audiosoft
Super Administrator

posted on 5-19-2006 at 10:06 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
Pirk,

Looks nice but when it is at 800x600 there is no room for the time and smaller buttons. What if we just had the new large < |> > buttons above the current ones but with a transparent background on the sides so it is just centered over the bottom of the now playing background? That way the volume slider would not even need to be moved up and it would be white on the sides with the default skin.

Pirk
Posting Freak

posted on 5-19-2006 at 10:57 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
Audiosoft,

Well, OK maybe that's the best compromise.. Provided you increase the height of the current now playing pannel sufficiently: I think that 50 pixels are needed at least. And the total width allowed for the 3 buttons could be 165 pixels.

After all, that doesn't look so bad like that: :)

ej buttons8.jpg - 183.69kb

Pirk
Posting Freak

posted on 5-19-2006 at 11:22 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
The basic version:

ej buttons9.jpg - 77.98kb

Pirk
Posting Freak

posted on 5-19-2006 at 11:28 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
I'm longing to enjoy this new feature.. And the album pop-up too!! :)

Thank you very much in advance Audiosoft. :cool:

Pirk
Posting Freak

posted on 5-19-2006 at 11:43 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
Concerning the < |> > play controls, I think 3 skinnable GIF or PNG blocks of 55x50 pixels would be perfect.. :)

junk

posted on 6-1-2006 at 09:32 AM Edit Post Reply With Quote
Hello guys! :) Been following this thread, and perhaps it is about time i contributed. :)

Since the placement of the volume buttons now is an issue, I must yell: Put them on top of the panel, above everything else. It is a logical place to have them.

Three big buttons, beginning with a big rewind/previous button, that rewinds when pressing it down, and skips to the previous song when clicking it. An even bigger play / pause button in the middle, and lastly, a forward/skip. Incidentally, I see that this is iTunes' solution - but I salute it as a very logical and functional placement, which eJukebox shouldn't be reluctant to adopt. :)

Audiosoft's solution to the size issue.with allowing the edges of the button to become transparant and therefore exceeding their edges, seems very good, and I would go for this one.

And while we are at it, when can we get multiple "up next" song listings? I want to have an overview of what is to come the next 5 songs at least, and be able to remove songs just by right-clicking them and removing them, over even better, just dragging and dropping them somewhere that would take the song away from the list. :)

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member junk's ICQ status This User Has MSN Messenger junk's Yahoo
CiXel

posted on 6-1-2006 at 11:05 AM Edit Post Reply With Quote
I must admit, I too have recently thought about modifiing the volume bar for size issues, especially now that I have music out on the porch where the only way to control the volume is BY that volume control on the touchscreen. Needless to say the girl has been bothered by it's size on the 1024x768 screen.

I realize this is a can of worms, and may be better suited to seperate thread, but instead of the volume fader, what about a + and a - button for the volum that would move in increments (akin to the button on the album list bar maybe... hold for scroll) the volume could then be represented as a number or a graphic of whatever. Just a thought to go along with big player buttons.
Pirk
Posting Freak

posted on 6-1-2006 at 11:45 AM Edit Post Reply With Quote
Thanks for your help junk! :)
I appreciate a lot your come back.. It seems your arrangement ideas for eJ start to take shape! ;)

junk

posted on 6-11-2006 at 11:51 AM Edit Post Reply With Quote
Pirk, thanks! We sure had some times in this forum... :P And yes, eJukebox has come very close to implementing all the functions I desired. Very happy for that! :D

It is also interesting to watch the trenoud in the development of such programs. I have to admit that though haven't paid that much attention, it seems that most developers are well content with a one-line text-based interface, such found in iTunes and Winamp Media Library. I haven't tried Windows Media Central yet, but wonder how it will feel. For me, the cover-based albumlist and the "physical" (as opposed to computerized) feeling of eJukebox as always been its major strength.

Lately, I have been thinking about new ways to navigate and compose a realtime playlist that can be progressive, and I have come up with some sort of system that might work, but it is still in the early planning stages. The idea is that one could set up a progression to go from, say the genres "ambient" to "funk", where you could specify the amount of time it would take to finish the journey. All could be done very visually and easy, point 'n' click operations. But all that is another story. :)

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member junk's ICQ status This User Has MSN Messenger junk's Yahoo
 Pages:  1  2
Post new thread Poll:

Go To Top

Audiosoft Home | Download EJukebox for Windows | Register EJukebox
©2019 Audiosoft Network. All rights reserved.
[queries: 16]
HTML5 Color Picker for CSS Opacity
Short Url Service with Stats