Not logged in [Login - Register]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites   Post new thread Poll:
 Pages:  1  2  3
Author: Subject: eJukebox v5.00 is now ready for development
rlailey

posted on 5-9-2005 at 09:43 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
eJukebox v5.00 is now ready for development

Recently I sent out a U2U message to many of the active members on this forum to gauge the enthusiasm towards making an eJ that is Open Source. A few of you replied and we now have enough of a development community between us to start an eJ5 project. Other non-developers have also responded stating that they are willing to help in any way to help keep eJ alive.

For this project to work requires a committed community. The Open Source piece of work is to be modular – broken down into small pieces so we can all work on little bits to bring the whole application together.

I shall be working on the interfaces between the various ‘bits’, the installation packaging MSI and the interface to Winamp.

I suggest the initial beta to be almost an exact copy of eJ before we start influencing our own desires before public viewing.

Development language will be any Microsoft 2003 .NET language (VB, C++, C#, VJ, ASP, etc.) for the one single reason that with .NET you can combine different modules written in different languages into a single project (eJ5 application). All object methods and properties are to be exposed for us all to link into. Configuration is to be held in xml files as .NET natively has no registry.

The ‘bits’ that require ownership by people to do are as follows:
Interface to Winamp and object model exposed for all controls, status, etc. (me)
Default skin design (to include also Kiosk mode)
Skin SDK (including 16:9 support?)
ID3 tag management + cover art lookup (bags not me!)
Pocket PC interface
Track ratings management
Search routine
Track database schema design
Tools menu constructor to hook to exposed object models of other ‘bits’
Popularity mode algorithms
Next-up list

Please help me with this list…..
Fishy

posted on 5-9-2005 at 10:13 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
Nice initiative. But, are you planning to start this project from scratch? Not to ruin the pleasure, but a lot of functions in ej works incredibly fine already and a lot of time would be spent on reinventing the wheel (and maybe add a few bugs in the process). The best would be if one could take the current ej codebase as a point of departure, but then audiosoft would have to release the sourcecode. Don't know if that will happen, since there are not many lifesigns from audiosoft these days :(

-----------
Fishy
View User's Profile Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member Fishy's ICQ status
Pirk
Posting Freak

posted on 5-9-2005 at 10:18 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
Are you a programer rlailey?
And do you weigh the extent of the -hard- work need?

I think you can pluck up courage...
rlailey

posted on 5-9-2005 at 10:19 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
Yeah I know the uphill battle, but the design of eJ is sound so I just have to copy it (and I hope to have help).

I plan to have a really crap version of eJ5 released this month on May 26th. It's better to pick faults with something you can see than create perfection from the start.

Please don't have a go at me as the initial version will be functional, but rubbish
Pirk
Posting Freak

posted on 5-9-2005 at 10:26 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
Quote:
Message original : rlailey
... eJ5 released this month on May 26th ...

lol, with that if Audiosoft doesn't revive!! :D

;)
rlailey

posted on 5-9-2005 at 10:34 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
I'm really hoping for help with this - especially graphically. I'm a programmer of distinction but when it comes down to the user interface and what people want, I'm natually unbranded.
Pirk
Posting Freak

posted on 5-9-2005 at 10:41 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
well, I wish you succeed rlailey!

NB: Junk and Fishy are very good for graphics... :D
rlailey

posted on 5-9-2005 at 10:48 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
Thanks for the tip on graphics. My initial release will not contain much graphics - I'll do my best but I'd rather spend my time on defining the object model to the skin interface to which someone else can do.

I've gone through the whole architecture of the project and I have one lacking skill - cover art. I really really really need help with this in understanding how to extract the image from an ID3 tag.

Everything else is routine
Pirk
Posting Freak

posted on 5-9-2005 at 10:55 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
It's not imposed to extract covers from tags, you can use a cover.jpg file for each album instead...

You seem to be very confident! :o
Fishy

posted on 5-9-2005 at 10:58 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
http://gjukebox.sourceforge.net/

Don't know if there still is any acitivity on those forums. But, since that seems to be an open source project, you might meet some skillful guys over there that have an idea or two?

Good luck with this project. If the software turns out to function well, I am sure the skins will start rolling in ;)

-----------
Fishy
View User's Profile Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member Fishy's ICQ status
rlailey

posted on 5-9-2005 at 11:02 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
It's just my perfectionism. I like the idea of the cover art stored with the MP3 file, that's why I'd rather extract the art from the MP3 than cover.jpg.

I understand that to get a community on board a tangible product is required to be visible (developed) before it can be imporved in an Open Source way (hence May 26th release date).

My choice for Open Source is because an Open Souce product can never die.

Hope you're on-board
rlailey

posted on 5-9-2005 at 11:05 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
...and by the way, this is an improvement to eJ v3.97, not a new venture
Pirk
Posting Freak

posted on 5-9-2005 at 11:09 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
But you don't have the sources files, it's not a problem??

I love your precision concerning the release date: "May 26th"! :D
rlailey

posted on 5-9-2005 at 11:17 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
I can tell you're not a develper Pirk! If you've ever tried to take on anybody elses code you'll realise it's easier to start from the beginning as it won't be documented in an Open Source way!!!

It's far easier (and quicker) to replicate the functionality or at least I've found so. I use eJ a lot so I'm comfident I won't mess up there. My parents are both artists, but my ability in this area may urge you to throw-up with the initial eJ5 design.

Don't have a go at me with the initial release, I only eat constructive critisism.
rlailey

thumbup.gif posted on 5-9-2005 at 11:32 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
Microsoft Visual Studio .NET 2003 is launched on my PC. eJ v5.00 development has now started...
Pirk
Posting Freak

posted on 5-9-2005 at 11:32 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
Ok rlailey, you are right I'm not a programer! It's just I think about the way we will have to cover again... But as you say, that will be a copy so certainly you will gain some precious time.

So good work! I'm already impatient to be on the day 26th of May... ;)

Good night...
rlailey

posted on 5-9-2005 at 11:42 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
Thanks for the support Pirk. Although I'm committed to create an eJ v3.97 perfectionist clone without bugs myself for my own self-interest, I'd appreciate some support from otehr peopel and would thrive on suggestions for improvements. This is Open Source, so please help me...
rlailey

posted on 5-9-2005 at 11:50 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
Richard Lailey richard@lailey.com
Pirk
Posting Freak

posted on 5-9-2005 at 11:50 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
Thank you rlailey.

I think your first release will put you on the test... but you will win your fan.

Let's go!
rlailey

posted on 5-9-2005 at 11:54 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
no, my first release will meet the project date - my second release will put me to the test
rlailey

posted on 5-10-2005 at 12:11 AM Edit Post Reply With Quote
The initial release will be a read-only mode - that is a source directory of MP3's can be specified, but no updates can be made to the MP3 tags.

No CoverArt functionality will be included. >32768 MP3 file limit will be removed.

No Pocket PC support will be provided with the first release, although this is going to be a much develped feature.

eJ3.97 is going to be cloned as closely as possible

16:9 widescreen support will be incorporated.

Many features will be missing from the initial v5.00 release, but please be patient.
Willum

posted on 5-10-2005 at 04:08 AM Edit Post Reply With Quote
Richard... Good luck !
I Hope you can put this together.
CiXel

posted on 5-10-2005 at 03:20 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
Album cover downloads

I personally use use this for my album cover tagging:
http://louhi.kempele.fi/~skyostil/projects/albumart/dist/

I think I saw the source code up there.

Also
one fo the things it references is:
http://www.josephson.org/projects/pyamazon/

which is an Amazon web api wrapper which could be used to lookups.

and:
http://icepick.info/projects/pyid3/

PyID3 tagging resource
rlailey

posted on 5-10-2005 at 06:06 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
Thanks for that CiXel, I'll look into that later on today...
rllercstr7

posted on 5-10-2005 at 08:52 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
Thank you so much for what you are doing! I know everyone really appriciates it. I am not a programmer, but feel free to contact me for any other help you may need. :D
VWBUG

posted on 5-10-2005 at 08:53 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
Cover tagging

Don't know much about programming etc, but I use MP3Tag to tag covers, lyrics and to sort files that I obtain. It might be useful to take a look. to see if it can give you any ideas how it is done.

http://www.maniactools.com/soft/mp3tag/index.shtml

Cheers
rlailey

posted on 5-10-2005 at 10:15 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
Just installed MP3Tag - thanks VWBUG
jhlurie

posted on 5-11-2005 at 09:23 AM Edit Post Reply With Quote
Quote:
Originally posted by rlailey
...and by the way, this is an improvement to eJ v3.97, not a new venture

You need to be clear that this is NOT based on eJ at all if you continue though. By most law, unless Audiosoft released the rights, that would be illegal.

You are making an open source eJukebox clone, not an authorized open source successor.

It's not what I originally meant when I suggested open source (I was urging Audiosoft to voluntarily release the product to open source--of course that would require that they actually still read these boards), but it's still a valid approach. It does mean however, that morally you probably shouldn't call it eJukebox v5.00, just as it would be immoral to use actual eJ code instead of simply simulating the equivalent. The "look and feel" of most software is not as strictly protected--which is why clones are a legitimate venture most times.

Call it something like iJukebox and you probably have a project.

Sooner or later Audiosoft will show up and notice the activity on this board (admittedly it looks like it could be months). Either they will support it, fight it, or ignore it. I think the best chance for everyone is if you make it clear from the beginning that you are trying to fill a void, but not taking on their product without authorization. Since you aren't asking anyone to pay for this open source clone, you can't even really be accused of stealing customers.
cbsoundman

posted on 5-11-2005 at 04:28 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
You certainly have my support, too.

I am not a programmer but I am a systems engineer and a live audio engineer and sometimes I DJ--whatever that may help you with. I would certainly be more than happy to assist in any way I can. I have virtual PC that I can use to build virutal machines for beta testing if you like.

Has Audiosoft been in contact with you or have you tried to contact them about this (well, we all have been trying to contact them without any sucess)? I would hate for them to cause any backlash from this project to you but I certainly would love to see someone take up the slack and I like the features you want to incorporate.
rlailey

posted on 5-11-2005 at 07:00 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
I'm not that worried about creating an eJ5 (eJukebox v3.97 lookalike) as I'm creating it from scratch in a different programming language using different methods.

I've tried to contact Audiosoft to no avail. I've called this eJ5 as I realise eJ4 may one day appear in which case it may save me a bit of work!

The look and feel of eJ5 will be (as much as I can) identical to v3.97, although underneath I'm going to offload much of the work to that already provided within Winamp.

The playlist within Winamp will replicate what is viewed through eJ's Up Next list (or whatever you want to call it). This will enable the Prev track to function better.

The random play mode will remotely control this feature of Winamp and the Winamp media library will be shared with eJ's. This is all controlled through an excellent Object Library interface called ActiveWinamp which is accessible via .NET applications.

The currrent Star rating feature of eJ is a different rating to that of Winamp. I plan to use the Winamp rating feature and so will have to work out an upgrade path as I have 10,000 tracks rated in eJ and don't want to re-rate them in Winamp!

The greater than 32768 tracks issue of eJ v3.97 will not be an issue with eJ5 as I'll be using the Library of Winamp, so if there still is an issue - it's with Winamp, not eJ5.

The main eJ Forms application will be browser controls (like eJ) although I may have to make some bits forms-based for GUI speed reasons.

The eJ2Web interface will be a non-framed ASP.NET application for maximum browser support which means users wishing to use this will need XP with IIS installed (or W2K/2003/Longhorn).

My system I'm currently testing on is a VMWare Windows XP SP2 image, but I'll need volunteers to test on other OS's.

.NET applications naitively do not contain registry - it's all file based much like Java, so to delete the application completely without trace, just delete the files - cool for beta testers
 Pages:  1  2  3
Post new thread Poll:

Go To Top

Audiosoft Home | Download EJukebox for Windows | Register EJukebox
©2019 Audiosoft Network. All rights reserved.
[queries: 16]
HTML5 Color Picker for CSS Opacity
Short Url Service with Stats