Audiosoft Forums Last active: Never
Not logged in [Login - Register]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites   Post new thread Poll:
 Pages:  1  2  3
Author: Subject: eJukebox v5.00 is now ready for development
Fishy

posted on 5-11-2005 at 08:01 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
Sounds very, very promising if you're able to implement all those ideas. I am sold If one will be able to use 300x300 images in now playing and albumlist as well :) I am unfortunately not a programmer, but I sure will provide help through ideas, testing and feedback. And maybe a little skinning as well :) Keep it up!

-----------
Fishy
View User's Profile Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member Fishy's ICQ status
Pirk
Posting Freak

posted on 5-11-2005 at 08:19 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
I like your plan to use the Winamp features: the Winamp playlist work well in random play mode...
But do you plan to create a specific database like in eJ?

Requested features for future versions:
- The now playing image would need to be freely resizable...
- The actual songlist is already very good, with its images!
- The Album list: already very good too... maybe you could enlarge a bit the images?
- The actual Artist list is good too.
- The Playlist would be great with one small image for each different album en queue.
rlailey

posted on 5-11-2005 at 08:26 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
Thanks very much for those encouraging words Fishy.

My primary objective is to get an eJ v3.97 without bugs which unfortunately has led me to do the job myself.

However, I need support like yours and everybody else to expose the bugs so I can fix them as well as steering the development with fresh ideas to enhance this new version.

This is Open Source
rlailey

posted on 5-11-2005 at 08:35 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
Quote:
Originally posted by Pirk
I like your plan to use the Winamp features: the Winamp playlist work well in random play mode...
But do you plan to create a specific database like in eJ?

Requested features for future versions:
- The now playing image would need to be freely resizable...
- The actual songlist is already very good, with its images!
- The Album list: already very good too... maybe you could enlarge a bit the images?
- The actual Artist list is good too.
- The Playlist would be great with one small image for each different album en queue.

Currently, I'm trying to see how far I will get without having a separate database like eJv3.97 - I may have to for some issue I've not yet thought of - like performance.

The Song, Album and Playlist features of eJv3.97 will still be the same - just synched-up to their corresponding lists in Winamp.

Please could you elaborate on the now playing image being freely resizable? Is this for adjusting the size by moving the window borders or is this for full-screen mode under high or wide resoulutions?
Fishy

posted on 5-11-2005 at 08:39 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
hmm from my point of view it doesn't have to be freely resizeable. An alternative could be to make the now playing area large enought to hold a scaled 300x300 image. 300x300 is large enought to see details and read text from a coverimage.

And maybe one could have a little button which allowed one to see the backside of the cover as well.. Hmm I am getting carried away ;)

-----------
Fishy
View User's Profile Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member Fishy's ICQ status
Pirk
Posting Freak

posted on 5-11-2005 at 08:46 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
Ok, if you reach to avoid the database... :D

Now playing image resizable:
I mean the panel would have borders resizable (horizontally and vertically) manually by the user moving the borders, and the image would be enlarged proportionaly to the new panel size.
rlailey

posted on 5-11-2005 at 08:46 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
Yeah I've been reading-up a lot about the APIC ID3 tags that store the Cover Art (and back cover art, pictures of the artists, band, etc.) - all on http://www.id3.org/develop.html

I don't think I'm at that stage yet!
Pirk
Posting Freak

posted on 5-11-2005 at 08:52 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
Fishy: that would be good if the image be resizable in order to use -comfortably- different screen resolutions... And nothing prevent you to Pin it to 300x300 if you want! :)
Fishy

posted on 5-11-2005 at 08:56 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
probably you're right. The default size of the now playing and playlist area is to small by default anyway. No room for extra information in the playlist and absolutly no room for large images in the now playing. But I guess Rlailey got a lot to do before this is one the agenda. Ej is quite packed with funcionality here and there, and this is mainly a (important) cosmetic feature ;)

-----------
Fishy
rlailey

posted on 5-11-2005 at 08:56 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
300x300 it is then
Pirk
Posting Freak

posted on 5-11-2005 at 09:02 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
Image freely resizable: that was planned to be like that in the next version of the official eJ! :cool:
rlailey

posted on 5-11-2005 at 09:02 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
If I make this a browser control, the image would naturally scale down, but not up. I could make the default 300x300 no problem, but I think we'll have to discuss this again when I'm at that point in the code.
Pirk
Posting Freak

posted on 5-11-2005 at 09:09 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
Ok rlailey, I understand the images can't be biggers than the original in browser mode. This is why I've started to stock my images in 300x300 at least or more if i find bigger ones!
Pirk
Posting Freak

posted on 5-11-2005 at 09:31 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
Quote:
Message original : Fishy
And maybe one could have a little button which allowed one to see the backside of the cover as well.. Hmm I am getting carried away ;)

Why not, good idea! ;)
stsirois

posted on 5-12-2005 at 02:43 AM Edit Post Reply With Quote
What res are you guys planning on running in order to have 300x300 Now Playing images? How much space is that going to leave for the Album & Song List view? I know Pirk mentioned previously that he liked to have all the views currently available in eJ present on the same screen. How is that going to be possible with such a big Now Playing area?

I'm all for the larger Now Playing area as I always thought it was too small in eJ. The playlist beneath the Now Playing album cover was too small to read on a TV screen from a distance. However, I understand that other areas of the screen will need to be compromised in order to gain more space in the Now Playing area.

Thanks,
Steve
Spazz

posted on 5-12-2005 at 03:23 AM Edit Post Reply With Quote
If we're going to be serious about this, might I reccomend setting up a forum dedicated to this, at least for the sake of being organized? ;)

I can find a free hosted forum if you guys want.

http://area51.gerpok.com/song/spazz.png
Pirk
Posting Freak

posted on 5-12-2005 at 12:00 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
Steve, the native res of my 17" LCD screen is 1280x1024 (or 1024x1280 when I rotate it to 90°). So I have enough space to display a 300x300 image in the now playing panel, a comfortable playlist underneath (including a small image per album) and the "EDV" songlist/albumlist (including genres and years columns or the artistlist expanded) on the right side.
Using a such configuration eJukebox would just fill all my screen width... :)

Nowadays most of the PC screens use such res...
Also I remind you guys that was planned, by Audiosoft themselves, to be -exactly- like I describe for the next version of the official eJukebox! :cool:

I just hope that rlailey can also reach a so awesome result in eJ v5! :D

NB: It is possible to have a 300x300 image in the Now playing panel even if you are only in 1024x768... In this case the songlist is displayed in its normal width (without the genre and year columns).

Thanks.
Fishy

posted on 5-12-2005 at 06:12 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
Quote:
Originally posted by Pirk
Nowadays most of the PC screens use such res...

Agreed. Using 1600x1200 myself. Don't think I can handle a smaller resolution :D

-----------
Fishy
rlailey

posted on 5-12-2005 at 07:17 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
OK I've worked out how I can stretch and shrink the playing now cover art at will with window resizing, but I've hit on another problem of changing the opacity (transparency) value on mouse-over as most controls don't seem to have a transparancy setting. To get this to work my code is going to be a bit wierd...
Pirk
Posting Freak

posted on 5-12-2005 at 07:39 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
Quote:
Message original : rlailey
OK I've worked out how I can stretch and shrink the playing now cover art at will with window resizing, but I've hit on another problem of changing the opacity (transparency) value on mouse-over as most controls don't seem to have a transparancy setting. To get this to work my code is going to be a bit wierd...

Ah ah... that sound great rlailey, you are a ace! :cool:
And I'm sure you will solve this problem too... ;)

Thank you very much for your work!
jhlurie

posted on 5-14-2005 at 05:45 AM Edit Post Reply With Quote
It's sounds very nice and I have high hopes from how you describe all of this, although I'm still a bit confused why you are risking calling it "eJulebox 5.00" instead of just picking a new name. Sure it seems obvious that Audiosoft is out of the picture, but why risk it?

Again, I recommend something simple like iJukebox. Close enough to be obvious it's a clone, different enough so that nobody can claim that you are trying to simply take over something which hasn't been offered.
deadmouse

posted on 5-14-2005 at 01:22 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
wow, i just read through all the posts in this thread. thats quite the project you are commiting yourself to, i admire that. if i knew code, i would help, but i am pretty clueless when it comes to that. i lack art skills as well... but if i think of something i can help with, i will let ya know!
CiXel

posted on 5-17-2005 at 12:12 AM Edit Post Reply With Quote
resolution

I'm actually running 1024 x 768 on my lcd touch screen (native), and 800 x 600 on my CRT. I think when I move, I'm going to make them both 1024x768.

Just laying that out there, as I operate all my music via touchscreen.
guddler

posted on 5-17-2005 at 01:21 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
Hmmm.....

I've just logged on here for the first time in six months or so to see if there was any sign of EJ4 yet. Typical that i pay for something just as it dissapears without a trace :)

Anyway, then i noticed this thread and was seriously cheared up at the prospect of an open source implementation, even if not an official one. (I really hope that Audiosoft don't take badly to any copyright infringement if you head towards a copy of ej3.97!!!)

Sadly, my heart then sank again!

I use linux on all four of my PCs here except for one. The one that has EJ on it. So i figured great! An open source solution normally includes ports for other OSes, i'll finally be able to switch.

I know opensource doesn't mean non-windows. I appreciate that. But then you're writing it in .NET 2003? You want to hear from people willing to test out on other OS's, but they will need to be running XP and IIS to run it.

/me rather confused at this stage!!!!

Or should i not be reading the whole thread from start to finish?

I'm a programmer and a windows one primarily at that so don't get me wrong i'm no windows basher but in my job i need to ensure that any code i write can be ported to AIX if needed so these days i don't go anywhere near .NET if i can at all help it.

Is there a site where i can see the workings of your thoughts? Ie, why ASP.NET, why .NET in general? Which language in particular (did you say this?, surely it's not all ASP, the UI and all?)

One other thing? Any chance of dropping the WinAMP dependency and replace it with some plugin api. Again, to aid in porting to other OS's?

Looking forward to May 26th. If i can be of any assistance please let me know. I can do C/C++, some java, i did do a bit of C# but thought it was far too buggy so rapidly dropped it again and then there was about 10 years of VB.

Good luck though, i just hope it turns into something great and more portable than it sounds it may be heading for as of the first version :)

Martin.
guddler

eureka.gif posted on 5-17-2005 at 01:29 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
PS: Rather than ej5 (surely a rather dodgy thing to call a copy since this has no grounding to the original source code at all), how about FreeJ 5 ??
guddler

posted on 5-17-2005 at 02:16 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
PPS: (I've just thought of something else!!)

The main thing that i would DEARLY love to see, by Audiosoft or ANYONE is an option i can tick that basically says "leave the directory structure the <beep> alone when handling compilations" :o :o

Any chance of this being thought about at some point?

In fact from what i remember of the whole process of when i set it up, compilations was the biggest PIA ever. eJ basically tries to be far too clever. Say for instance that i have "Dark Side of the 80's - disc 1" and "Dark Side of the 80's - disc 2" (which i do). About the only thing it managed to get right was that disc 1 and disc 2 went together :)

Now say that disc one contained "This corrosion" by the "Sisters Of Mercy". I'm not sure entirely the process it went through but all of a sudden it sits in a directory on my disk called "Sisters_of_Mercy_\This_Corr_Dark_Side_of_the_80s_Disc_1_" that has just the one track in it.

What on earth!!!

All i really wanted was a folder called various (i'd settle for "compilations" or something) which inside that had all the compilation albums. Maybe on the import dialogue or wherever there was a tick box you could select to tell ej to "dumb down" it's processing for this disk?

Sorry to rant, i didn't mean to, but i just looked in the music directory on my server and boy, it's in a mess. I really don't want to have to redump 300 CDs so i have a lot of tidying up to do at some point.

Just an area worth thinking about if you're embarking on a new coding effort. I personally would far sooner see a lot of back end things worked on like this than things like album art image resizing and stuff like that. Sure album art is nice, but it works okay in the current version AFAIK so could wait until later maybe?

Just a thought.

Martin.
CiXel

posted on 5-17-2005 at 05:39 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
Winamp

While I hear your Linux point, It's relatively easy to make a standard player for mp3s, however it's much more difficult to build one with the plugin functionality of Winamp and the community behind it to support them. I personally use a crossfader plugin as well and a multiband compressor/limtier for my backend. I went through quite a few options to land on what I'm using now, and having an internal player would surely limit those options.
guddler

posted on 5-17-2005 at 07:15 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
Don't get me wrong, I'm not for a second suggesting a built-in player that would be ludicrous. All I'm asking is to look and see if there's a way of not locking it to winamp. I use winamp plugins on my current setup too. Namely a shoutcast streaming server plugin so certainly right now i wouldn't want to loose the winamp output either, but looking forward i'd welcome the addition of an extra api layer between the jukebox and the player which would mean that any player with a plugin that can implement that api could be used.

Let's not forget i could quite easily be talking about something that already exists, i've no idea how ej is currently implemented, however if a version is implemented with this extra layer (call it / implement it as an interface, api or whatever you wish to) then noone would be forced to use any particular player.

You (or i) want XYZ player, produce a plugin for said player that can implement the ej interface.

To keep existing users happy, develop the winamp plugin as an example...

Again, just an idea :)

Martin.
PS: Ignore the FreeJ suggestion, i looked and it's taken!
jhlurie

posted on 5-18-2005 at 03:12 AM Edit Post Reply With Quote
I believe there are several fairly standarized MP3 decoders that are open source. You just need to slap an interface over them.
rlailey

posted on 5-26-2005 at 09:12 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
Missed my scheduled Beta release today - sorry.

Cover Art is doing my head in.
 Pages:  1  2  3
Post new thread Poll:

Go To Top

Audiosoft Home | Download EJukebox for Windows | Register EJukebox
©2019 Audiosoft Network. All rights reserved.
[queries: 16]
HTML5 Color Picker for CSS Opacity
Short Url Service with Stats