Audiosoft Forums Last active: Never
Not logged in [Login - Register]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites   Post new thread Poll:
 Pages:  1  2
Author: Subject: This one has been bothering me for some while..
Fishy

posted on 3-31-2005 at 10:42 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
This one has been bothering me for some while..

Occasionally the error message shown in the attachment pops up and requires me to kill ejukebox from the taskmanager. I have seen others mention this one too, so I don't think I am alone? It happens randomly, with no pattern what so ever. Do audiosoft have an idea?

http://home.no.net/fishyno/hmm.jpg
View User's Profile Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member Fishy's ICQ status
cbsoundman

posted on 4-4-2005 at 08:19 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
I get that after editing a lot of files in EJ. I, too, would like a solution...I have had to make up new curse words because I got tired of using the existing ones.
Fishy

posted on 4-5-2005 at 12:34 AM Edit Post Reply With Quote
Hm.. it also tend to happen with me when I edit a lot. But on other occasions too, doing a lot of scrolling for instance.. Saw someone suggesting it could be hw related earlier, but I got difficulties beliving that my graphics adapter is so selective that it chooses just to mess around with ej. And it's a geforce 4 with 256 mb ram, so it should be powerful enought to keep ej running without problems. I got 1gb system memory too, so there should be enought memory around to eat.

For a While I thought it was related to the arctic skin I am using, but it happens equally often with other skins too so it's not related to that. I think I saw it the first time in version 3.88...

In addition to this I randomly experience that all graphics in ej get totally scrambled and I have to quit the entire program (with no error message, experienced with different skins.. first time 3.88 for this one too). Wonder if these problems are related somehow. Do you have this problem too? It doesn't happen too often, but often enought to be annoying.. Wondering to reinstall ej to see if that solves the problem.. Having my doubts that audiosoft will solve it intentionally, since they probably don't experience this problem themselves.

Don't know if the error message on display makes any sense for them and can provide some cues of the problemsource?

-----------
Fishy
View User's Profile Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member Fishy's ICQ status
cbsoundman

posted on 4-5-2005 at 09:43 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
Fishy, I have been too lazy to really search for that error on the web...bad on me.

I would hope it is not hardware related or resource related. I have a GB of ram and dual P4 processors. I do put my music on a dedicated hard drive using USB to connect. Even when going dual screen and using the Milkdrop visualization, I don't seem to have problems with just playing music. It is when I right-click on the song to edit.

I have noticed that there will be a few times in which the right-click menu takes a while to appear.

I see you are a Pink Floyd fan...me too.
VWBUG

posted on 4-7-2005 at 10:03 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
I got that for the first time tonight while editing a lot of files. I also found the right click very slow on occasions. No idea what it could be though.
Fishy

posted on 4-7-2005 at 10:53 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
I think this might be a bug Audiosoft?

-----------
Fishy
Fishy

posted on 5-30-2005 at 05:18 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
All the troublesome behaviour mentioned in this thread seemed to disappear when I applied this little trick (ty google): http://weblogs.asp.net/kdente/archive/2004/06/04/148145.aspx

It's a way to increase programs available GDI resources, and seemed to be related to both "the ej graphics messup" and "tag editor suddenly closes" issues I've experienced. If you have any of these, I will recommend trying the procedure described in the link. Normal registry editing caution applies of course.

-----------
Fishy
Audiosoft
Super Administrator

posted on 5-30-2005 at 05:41 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
Thanks for the screenshot...I think I have that bug fixed for the next version.

RE: in addition to this I randomly experience that all graphics in ej get totally scrambled

This problem is probally related to there being more registered GUI elements loaded than Windows itself can handle. Unfortunately adding more RAM or getting a better graphics card will not make a difference because its a problem with the windows kernel itself not being able to address that many display elements. Closing the album list when not in use should stop it from occuring. The next version of Windows codename Longhorn will have a new graphics engine called avalon which should fix this problem once and for all.

:cool: Audiosoft
View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Fishy

posted on 5-30-2005 at 06:01 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
The graphics messup seemed to disappear when I edited the registry and changed the gdi values as described in the link in my last post. Very nice that you've fixed the control-visual issue. I have not experienced that one after I did that registry editing either, although it happened quite seldom before anyway..

-----------
Fishy
Audiosoft
Super Administrator

posted on 5-30-2005 at 07:20 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
Thanks so much for that link Fishy! It's great that there is a registry hack and we don't have to wait for Windows Longhorn to set a higher GDI limit! I am thinking about making eJukebox automatically raise the registry value. How do you feel about that? I can have eJukebox raise the value from 3MB to 8MB for everyone. Now all i need to know is if that registry hack will also work in Win98.

Anyways, you made my day! I no longer have to worry about having too many windows open on my development machine causing new windows to fail to open. For the first time ever I can actually put all 2GB of my RAM to work! :D

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Fishy

posted on 5-30-2005 at 07:38 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
Great stuff!

hehe.. I would certainly not mind since I've already adjusted that limit myself. Don't know, maybe some users wouldn't like that the program adjusts things in the registry behind their backs. On the other hand, most users would probably never notice and if this little trick contributes to better performance for ej and the system overall... A digital jukebox that offers both a nice interface for your mp3 collection and better overall windows performance sounds fine to me :D

-----------
Fishy
Fishy

posted on 5-30-2005 at 08:40 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
APPLIES TO
• Microsoft Windows 2000 Server
• Microsoft Windows 2000 Advanced Server
• Microsoft Windows 2000 Professional Edition
• Microsoft Windows 2000 Datacenter Server
• Microsoft Windows NT Workstation 3.5
• Microsoft Windows NT Workstation 3.51
• Microsoft Windows NT Workstation 4.0 Developer Edition
• Microsoft Windows NT Server 3.5
• Microsoft Windows NT Server 3.51
• Microsoft Windows NT Server 4.0 Standard Edition
• Microsoft Windows NT Advanced Server 3.1

And.. Probably Windows XP too :)

Reference:

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;q126962

-----------
Fishy
Audiosoft
Super Administrator

posted on 5-30-2005 at 09:19 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
OK, I will assume that it does not on Win98/95 unless someone using 98 can confirm otherwise.

So for now, I have made it so the next version of eJukebox changes the value under WinXP and 2000 to 8192 (8MB) on startup if the value is less than 8MB.

After reading some more on this I have learned that you can not increase the value beyond 48MB or windows will not start and will need to be reinstalled...so just a warning to anyone that is going to do the registry hack on their own...changing it to 8192 should be enough.

Pirk
Posting Freak

posted on 5-30-2005 at 09:27 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
I've also changed the value in the registry... If you say that is good! ;) even if I've never noticed the same bug than you Fishy??
Fishy

posted on 5-30-2005 at 09:38 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
Hmm might be the result of some bad habits of mine. A lot of memory consuming programs running at the same time and a bunch of graphical things, without real functionality, on the desktop :D Got what I've deserve I guess.. :)

-----------
Fishy
Audiosoft
Super Administrator

posted on 5-30-2005 at 09:43 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
NOOOOOO! Now my XP computer will not boot after changing the value to 8192! If anyone changed the value and hasn't restarted your pc - change the value back to 3072 before doing so...this might not be safe on XP after all...need to do some more testing. Are you on Win2000 Fishy? Have you rebooted?

Pirk
Posting Freak

posted on 5-30-2005 at 09:46 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
Ah OK... :D I'm sure you also have a good Antivirus and a good Antispyware, if you are a regular customer of "censored" images! And videos too?? :o

;)
Pirk
Posting Freak

posted on 5-30-2005 at 09:50 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
Oh!? jokers!! :o

Thanks for the advise Audiosoft, so I put back the old value...
Fishy

posted on 5-30-2005 at 09:50 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
:((. That's terrible. I changed that value weeks ago and I've rebooted many, many times with this setting on Windows XP SP2:

%SystemRoot%\system32\csrss.exe ObjectDirectory=\Windows SharedSection=1024,9072,512 Windows=On SubSystemType=Windows ServerDll=basesrv,1 ServerDll=winsrv:UserServerDllInitialization,3 ServerDll=winsrv:ConServerDllInitialization,2 ProfileControl=Off MaxRequestThreads=16

in the 'Windows' value of HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\\System\\CurrentControlSet\\Control\\Session Manager\\SubSystems.

-----------
Fishy
Audiosoft
Super Administrator

posted on 5-30-2005 at 10:00 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
OK...I am back up on my XP machine by using F8 at start up and "Last Known Good Configuration" - at least i did not have to reinstall....I am gonna look into this some more and try changing it again.

Fishy

posted on 5-30-2005 at 10:04 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
Puh, thought for a moment that I had killed your system with this one..

-----------
Fishy
Pirk
Posting Freak

posted on 5-30-2005 at 10:11 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
You would not to give a excuse to Audiosoft to delay eJukebox a bit more, Fishy!! :D
;)

I'm relieved for you Audiosoft... (and for me too!)

... and for you too Fishy... ;)
Fishy

posted on 5-30-2005 at 10:19 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
Hmm That would have been some destiny packed with a huge dose of irony.. I am relieved and kindof glad that I was on the other side of the Atlantic Ocean when Audiosoft rebooted :)

-----------
Fishy
Audiosoft
Super Administrator

posted on 5-30-2005 at 10:24 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
Tried it again a couple of times and 8192 and 9072 give me a blank screen for a long time after the windows boot animation then it flashes a blue screen of death for a fraction of a sec and restarts. 5072 worked but the screen seemed to stay blank a long time before i got to the desktop and got a error for one of the video card drivers when i hit the desktop...but i am still up and running using 5072...weird.

Pirk
Posting Freak

posted on 5-30-2005 at 10:28 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
Windows is pitiless!

I think I would have been very angry if my computer fail to restart... even if I have backups of my music, this time!! :)
Fishy

posted on 5-30-2005 at 10:34 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
Weird that it doesn't work properly. I use V 7.1.8.9 of the nvidia drivers. You use Sp2 too? This is unfortunately the only computer I've tested this on. Can it be related to video card memory somehow? I think there is 128 mb on the card I use.

I just forced a friend of mine to be a rabbit on this. He changed the value to 8192, rebooted and it worked. So we're still friends :) XP SP2, NVIDIA GeForce FX 5200, 768MB DDR-SDRAM.

-----------
Fishy
Audiosoft
Super Administrator

posted on 5-30-2005 at 11:31 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
Happy to report that my machine is now up and running with the 9072 registry setting after running ad-aware and disabling the "Restart on System Failure" option on the F8 windows boot menu. I have also successfully rebooted into windows multiple times using the 9072 setting.

Fishy

posted on 5-30-2005 at 11:39 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
:D

-----------
Fishy
Demnos

posted on 5-31-2005 at 11:55 AM Edit Post Reply With Quote
Am I the only one that is not too happy that this registry "fix" exists? Without this fix, there would maybe have been some hope that one day ejukebox doesn't try to load all cover images into one humongous HTML file in album view. I am now up to 16.000 tracks in my database and frankly, eJukebox has stopped being fun to use, it is just too slow.

I never understood why Audiosoft didn't simply add some code so that eJukebox would only display one screen full of data at a time and then put up a NEXT and BACK button to scroll. Instead we got a strange workaround where the humongous album list would only be created at first loading and then is overlaid by other screens. But if you do close the list by mistake...then it is back to waiting for 3 or more minutes(!) for it to reload.

If Windows complains about not having enough GDI resources and too many elements on screen, maybe it is right and Audiosoft should have considered changing to a simple and fast album view with one-screen-at-a-time display so that people with thousands of albums can still enjoy the system. But now there is this simple registry hack and I am afraid things will stay terribly slow as they are...

For me the performance/speed issue with eJukebox on large collections has become so serious that I will probably have to switch to one of the alternative jukebox solutions, even if that means missing out on tons of useful features...
Fishy

posted on 5-31-2005 at 12:58 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
Quote:
Originally posted by Demnos
Am I the only one that is not too happy that this registry "fix" exists? Without this fix, there would maybe have been some hope that one day ejukebox doesn't try to load all cover images into one humongous HTML file in album view. I am now up to 16.000 tracks in my database and frankly, eJukebox has stopped being fun to use, it is just too slow.

I never understood why Audiosoft didn't simply add some code so that eJukebox would only display one screen full of data at a time and then put up a NEXT and BACK button to scroll.

Hello Demnos!

Don't think I would like a sollution where I'd have to push a forward and back button each time I would like to get an overview of my collection. From my point of view the homogenious albumlist is one of the most important elements in ejukebox, and I have tried applications that use the back - forward system. Probably nice on a touchscreen, but I like to be able to scroll through my entire collection at once and/or jump directly in the list to the desired artist. Having a Back and Forward button would mean that I would use a lot more time to get an general overview of my collection, in situations where I am not sure about what I want to listen to.
Sure I could use the the artistlist for this. But the albumlist is more interesting with albumart and the artist-album sorting system.

However I agree with you that this compromises speed. I have 30k songs in about 3400 albums and there is an tremendous speed discrepance from the days I had around 500 albums. Optional albumlist cache would sure make albumlist loading a little faster. Maybe one could add an *option* where the albumlist is divided alphabetical into A-I, I-Q and so on? Or maybe even smaller divisions, if desired. Or maybe there is something that could be done behind the scenes, like using something else than a simple html display for the albumlist?

-----------
Fishy
 Pages:  1  2
Post new thread Poll:

Go To Top

Audiosoft Home | Download EJukebox for Windows | Register EJukebox
©2019 Audiosoft Network. All rights reserved.
[queries: 16]
HTML5 Color Picker for CSS Opacity
Short Url Service with Stats