Audiosoft Forums Last active: Never
Not logged in [Login - Register]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites   Post new thread Poll:
 Pages:  1  2
Author: Subject: This one has been bothering me for some while..
Audiosoft
Super Administrator

posted on 5-31-2005 at 06:01 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
re: Without this fix, there would maybe have been some hope that one day ejukebox doesn't try to load all cover images into one humongous HTML file in album view

The only thing the fix does is ensure that everyone can use the current album list on 2000 and XP when you have a bunch of other windows open. I am still concidering creating an alternate album list that only shows a few albums at a time....but then everytime you hit a letter on the artist bar it would have to load the album list for that letter and it would have to load everytime you hit next.

RE: But if you do close the list by mistake...then it is back to waiting for 3 or more minutes(!) for it to reload.

If you close the album list after it has fully loaded the cached version should come up pretty much right away after clicking the albums button again. I realize it can take a long time to load the list the first time but once it is loaded isn't the performance good?

Demnos, eJukebox uses allot less RAM under Win2k and XP. Just wondering if you are still using Win98?

Regardless, I have made allot of speed improvments since the last offical release of eJukebox. Plus v4 will use the new cover lookup system and compressed JPGs for ID3 images instead of the bloated BMP format. That should help improve performance. In addition, v4 will allow you to replace the scroll bars on the album, song and artist lists with big up and down scroll buttons.

Oh and there is a nice new improvement for touchscreens (for everyone really) coming in the next release: You can now always click the area around title in songlist to add a song to the playlist instead of having to click right on the title text.

:cool: Audiosoft
View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Demnos

posted on 5-31-2005 at 08:21 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
Quote:
Originally posted by Audiosoft
If you close the album list after it has fully loaded the cached version should come up pretty much right away after clicking the albums button again. I realize it can take a long time to load the list the first time but once it is loaded isn't the performance good?

Demnos, eJukebox uses allot less RAM under Win2k and XP. Just wondering if you are still using Win98?

No I am using W2K on a Celeron 566. I am going to time it again, but it "feels" like the cached version comes up about 10 times faster, which means it takes maybe 20 seconds instead of 4 minutes for the first time. But I think these 20 seconds are still way too long, response times should never be more than 1-2 seconds for any type of user interaction.

I think it would be worthwile to try the scroll up/down buttons even with the drawback you mentioned of having to load all albums of the artist's first letter every time. At any rate the current solution is really unpractical for touchscreens, and if I remember correctly, it was one of the original ideas behind eJukebox that it would work well with touchscreens...at one point you even wanted to market a HW/SW solution around eJukebox and a touch system.

Thanks very much for keeping this request in the back of your mind and somewhere on the list of things to look into, and sorry for ranting so negatively in my previous post!
Pirk
Posting Freak

posted on 5-31-2005 at 09:02 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
I have 36940 songs and eJukebox is still fun to use for me (even if I don't enjoy a touchscreen):
The Albumlist takes 87s to cache the first time, and only 2s to reload my 2782 albums!

Otherwise I've tried to provoke the "GDI ressources" bug. Well it's not easy! I've open 30 IE windows, Photoshop with 12 larges images, eJukebox with the albumlist open, and I still not have the message error "chameleon...". It just happens that I can't open new programs or windows, but no chameleon error! The value in my registry is the original value: 3072, and I have 1024MB of RAM, Windows XP Pro.

So I think I don't need the registry fix. What will it give me to me better than I already have???
Could you make that be optional Audiosoft? Maybe using a warning message that show up only the first time the new eJukbox version runs?
Audiosoft
Super Administrator

posted on 5-31-2005 at 09:10 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
Pirk,

Even though I have the reg fix code done in eJukebox I think I am going to disable it and just let people do it on there own...only because of the off chance that the computer will not restart afterwards. I don't want anyone who's system can't take the registry change to have to do "restore last good configuration" at the boot menu after everytime they run eJukebox. I'll probally just top this thread or start a new one that tells people how to do it on there own if they run into resources problems. I for one really love the reg fix because I always have a ton of windows open and used to often have the problem where Photoshop and other programs would not be able to create there windows when you try to open them.

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Pirk
Posting Freak

posted on 5-31-2005 at 09:25 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
I think this is a good solution, for everyone. Each one will do according to his habits: little or much programs...

Do you think I could open more program windows than actually (30 IE windows and 12 Photoshop images with 1Go of RAM) if I applied the registry fix?
Audiosoft
Super Administrator

posted on 5-31-2005 at 09:48 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
RE: Do you think I could open more program windows than actually (30 IE windows and 12 Photoshop images with 1Go of RAM) if I applied the registry fix?

YES

Pirk
Posting Freak

posted on 5-31-2005 at 09:56 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
:) I will certainly end up to fix my registry too! the day I can't open enough images...

Thanks.
rlailey

posted on 5-31-2005 at 10:08 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
There's nothing scary about this fix - it's just a registry value allocating resources from an enormous pool of available RAM.

The chances of the PC crashing or losing power at that very moment when this value is added so it corrupts is a hit every installation routine has to pay.

Apart from that there is no recorded degradation to this fix. I've known about this setting for ages and as a developer it is an essential one.
Pirk
Posting Freak

posted on 5-31-2005 at 11:09 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
Well, finally I've applied the fix... No problem after a reboot! and YES, now I can open as many windows as I want... :cool: No more limit?? :o Impressive!

Thank you Fishy! :)
Fishy

posted on 6-1-2005 at 12:11 AM Edit Post Reply With Quote
Please don't thank me for this.Thank those people in the thread I linked to, or even google :) As Rlailey says it's quite well known. I posted it on this forum because it fixed some problems I had with ejukebox :)

And it's nice if it has improved performance for those who applied it. If you don't got any problems with your system, please don't change anything! I had quite a few problems with ejukebox myself, and this registry fix, hack, whatever name you apply, helped me out of those problems. I felt that I should share it with my friends at this forum in case some of you had simular or related problems. But if 3072 works fine, leave that setting alone. I can't see why this issue should be more complicated than that? ;)

Hey Audiosoft, any chance that we can grab our filthy, greedy hands on a new version soon? It sure sounds tempting :)

-----------
Fishy
View User's Profile Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member Fishy's ICQ status
Audiosoft
Super Administrator

posted on 6-1-2005 at 12:35 AM Edit Post Reply With Quote
Just compiled a new version to run some tests on another machine...I should have v3.98 up by Friday at the latest.

Fishy

posted on 6-1-2005 at 12:39 AM Edit Post Reply With Quote
Sweet.. At least our compliments and complaints will be up to date then :)

-----------
Fishy
View User's Profile Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member Fishy's ICQ status
Pirk
Posting Freak

posted on 6-1-2005 at 04:29 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
Ok Fishy. So a big thank you for... all the rest! :)

Yeah Audiosoft, I think we are at least quite ready to test this new version of eJukebox! :D
I hope the fix for the autoplay modes will works, as I really need it! A lot more than the registry fix as far as I'm concerned...

Probably still a dream but... maybe eJ 3.98 will already include a little "beta" version of the nowplaying vertical sizing kept for a special occasion? :)
I'm mad about this feature... in order to satisfy all the width of my "1280x1024" LCD panel! :cool:

Thanks.
rlailey

posted on 6-1-2005 at 09:26 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
Quote:
Originally posted by Audiosoft
Just compiled a new version to run some tests on another machine...I should have v3.98 up by Friday at the latest.

Welcome back Audiosoft - we've all missed you !!!
 Pages:  1  2
Post new thread Poll:

Go To Top

Audiosoft Home | Download EJukebox for Windows | Register EJukebox
©2019 Audiosoft Network. All rights reserved.
[queries: 16]
HTML5 Color Picker for CSS Opacity
Short Url Service with Stats