Audiosoft Forums Last active: Never
Not logged in [Login - Register]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites   Post new thread Poll:
Author: Subject: FLAC Tag Support
stsirois

puzzled.gif posted on 11-20-2004 at 11:16 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
FLAC Tag Support

I thought I finally settled on a lossless codec to re-rip my entire CD collection with, but after testing with eJukebox, I find myself in a quandry. I decided to go with the FLAC codec with the primary draw being the ability to tag the FLACs with Replaygain settings, both Radio & Album settings.

Well, when I went to import a few test FLACs into eJ (manually into Winamp - yuck!), all the FLACs appeared in eJ in the same fashion I named the files - "(Track#) SongTitle". This of course is not desirable, since eJ is not able to pick up the artist, album, or genre even though they are embedded in the FLAC tags.

I'm using EAC to rip & initially write the FLAC tags. There is an option to create ID3 tags in the FLACs, though I've heard that these may cause issues with FLAC tags. I think I'll do some more tests tonight with ID3 tags & FLACs to see if they will show up in eJ. Anyone have any experience with this? My head is spinning after uncovering all the different variations of tags out there, many of which don't seem to play nicely with each other.

Thanks,
Steve
Fishy

posted on 11-21-2004 at 04:05 AM Edit Post Reply With Quote
Hi Steve. Multitag support seems to be on every tongue these days :) Ape and flac seems to be the format for the jilted generation and we hope that EJ will support read/write in that area :) Think I read in another thread that they got some interesting ideas for this support however, namely creating hidden files which will hold the necassary information for these files.. I think It's just a question of cheep enough harddrives before these lossless formats replace mp3's totally.

-----------
Fishy
View User's Profile Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member Fishy's ICQ status
stsirois

posted on 12-17-2004 at 07:18 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
I ended up choosing Monkey's Audio (APE) over FLAC because a bit better support (or so I thought) that eJukebox provided for this format over FLAC. Other advantages were a smaller compressed file size for APEs over FLAC & a built-in utility in the Monkey GUI that allows for easy conversion to FLAC.

The problem I'm now running into is that I cannot edit the ID3 tags that EAC writes in along with APEv2 tags. I've described my issue in a new thread here:

http://www.audiosoft.net/forums/viewthread.php?tid=1119#pid5649

Thanks,
Steve
Post new thread Poll:

Go To Top

Audiosoft Home | Download EJukebox for Windows | Register EJukebox
©2019 Audiosoft Network. All rights reserved.
[queries: 16]
HTML5 Color Picker for CSS Opacity
Short Url Service with Stats