Audiosoft Forums Last active: Never
Not logged in [Login - Register]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites   Post new thread Poll:
Author: Subject: Editing ID3 Tags in .APE Files with APE v2 Tags attached?
stsirois

puzzled.gif posted on 12-17-2004 at 07:13 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
Editing ID3 Tags in .APE Files with APE v2 Tags attached?

I'm in the process of re-ripping my entire CD collection to a lossless format. I chose Monkey's Audio over APE since it provided a smaller compressed file size of FLAC, & more importantly, was compatible with eJukebox. Also, with the Monkey's Audio GUI, I can easily convert to FLAC in the future if I wish to do so, without have to re-rip my CDs.

I'm using EAC in Secure mode to do my ripping, while using its built-in freedb naming tool to grab basic tag data. When I first started with this process, I chose to use Monkey Audio's command line .exe to compress the files. I thought that during this ripping & encoding process that APE tags would be written, but after I opened the newly ripped & encoded APEs in Tag&Rename, I don't see any APE tags at all. What's weird is that I don't even see the ID3v1.1 tags I told EAC to write at the same, but obviously they are there since eJukebox can only use ID3 tags when reading in the tag information, which it displays correctly. Winamp can also see & display these ID3 tags which is not surprising since eJukebox is a Winamp plugin.

After doing some searching, I discovered that there was an alternative method to tagging .APE files with APEv2 tags using an app called "wapet". After I pointed EAC to use this app instead of Monkey Audio's command line app, I started seeing the APE tags in Tag&Rename. Now, it doesn't really matter whether or not EAC tags the files the files correctly since I end up using Tag&Rename to get the tags just perfect (coverart, proper casing, etc.). The problem stems from my inability to synchronize the APEv2 tags with the ID3 tags that EAC created, or to just create new ID3 tags from the APEv2 tags so that eJukebox will be able to properly read in the tag information. Without ID3 tags, eJukebox will then rely on the filename structure to try to guess at the song's information. This doesn't work in my case since I use <Track#> - <Song Title>.ape.

How can I edit ID3 tags in .APE Files after APE v2 tags have been created? Or, an even easier process would be to find a program that could copy APEv2 tag data to ID3 tags. So far, I've tried Tag&Rename 3.1.7 & the latest version of The Godfather, but neither of them were able to "see" the ID3 tags that EAC created. And, it doesn't appear to have a function to copy APEv2 tags to ID3 tags. Is there a solution out there for me?

The lack of full support (import, tags, & ratings) for a lossless codec, along with the compilation problem, is really making me question my continued use of eJukebox. I really like eJukebox, but the wife is really getting irritated about all of the annoyances that she's running into when using it. Please, someone help me so that I can continue using eJukebox while still maintaining my manhood!! :(

Thanks,
Steve
stsirois

posted on 12-23-2004 at 04:53 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
Anyone have any ideas?

Thanks,
Steve
stsirois

posted on 12-28-2004 at 07:38 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
Seems quiet around here. Another bump for this thread as there must be other APE + eJukebox users. Also, any thought from the folks from eJukebox would be much appreciated.

Thanks,
Steve
SilverSquadron

posted on 1-9-2005 at 09:55 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
You are NOT alone . . .

Yep, You are right, The problem you describe cannot be solved YET.
I use APE v2 tags, and no more the id3 tags, (that can also
be used via eac.)
Currently I use Media Moneky for its full support for APE, but I Hate the program.
My demo version of Audiosoft is long gone, But I'm still waiting (hoping) for APE tag support, (including rating the ape files).

So far, I quess we need to be pattient.

Greeting Silver.:P
Krobar

posted on 1-12-2005 at 07:42 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
EJ works ok with ID3V1 tagged ape files. You can use a program like MP3 tag to easily add ID3 tags to all your files (It can copy the Ape tags and add the same info in ID3). Im converting my whole collection and this format works fine, infact its the only lossless format that seems to work properly with EJ.
stsirois

posted on 1-13-2005 at 05:10 AM Edit Post Reply With Quote
Hi Krobar,

Thanks for the reply. I've looked at MP3Tag, but even now, I don't see any options for copying APE tag data to ID3v1 tags. How exactly do you do it? I'm looking at version 2.27 of MP3Tag.

Thanks,
Steve
Krobar

posted on 1-15-2005 at 06:07 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
In the options set it to only write ID3V1 tags and only delete Ape Tags for APE Files. Change something (eg. Select All files and set a comment). Then delete for all (If you want to get rid of the Ape tags).
stsirois

posted on 1-16-2005 at 06:49 AM Edit Post Reply With Quote
Great! Thanks for the reply, Krobar! I'll give it a shot.

Thanks,
Steve
Post new thread Poll:

Go To Top

Audiosoft Home | Download EJukebox for Windows | Register EJukebox
©2019 Audiosoft Network. All rights reserved.
[queries: 16]
HTML5 Color Picker for CSS Opacity
Short Url Service with Stats