Board Logo

Song popularity with a twist
catatung - 3-12-2011 at 05:33 AM

I had a thought for a feature that I thought would be nice. I find myself usually scanning through random songs until I hear one I like. As I recall your software only counts a song towards it's popularity rating if the song is requested. How about adding to the popularity rating if a song is played, in it's entirety from random play? For example if someone is pressing next, next, next and then lets a song finish to the end, that would count towards it's popularity. Of course, subsequent songs should not be, because of the possibility nobody is at the jukebox and it is being let to play whatever it wants. But if someone presses [next] again and lets a song play to the end, that song should get a credit towards it's popularity.

Perhaps just to differentiate a value between the two scenarios, it could count for 1/2 the rating a song gets for a song that is explicitly picked from an album.

Not a huge necessity but thought it's something that might help your database keep a more accurate record of what songs are most played and most enjoyed.

Audiosoft - 3-12-2011 at 07:32 AM

thanks that's a good idea
currently there are 2 ways to make the random up next song count. once you find the NEXT random song you want click the song title to play it. or drag the song title down to the first spot in the playlist.

i will see what i can do to make it automatically count after clicking NEXT when that song is played entirely.

Pirk - 3-12-2011 at 08:48 AM

Glad you finally consider this idea Audiosoft! i already proposed a such feature several years ago... Thanks.

Look HERE

catatung - 3-12-2011 at 03:10 PM

Ah Pirk, I see we think alike! I'm a few years late though :) jhlurie had a good point too, and I wanted to quote it here since this thread has the attention at the current moment -

Quote:

Perhaps "played until the end" is a bit harsh a test. Perhaps, for the impatient among us, "played beyond the half-way point"? Or maybe 3/4?

Its not often that I skip out of a song I really like, but sometimes if I'm sitting in front of a wireless keyboard with VCR-type forward buttons I may skip the VERY end of a song if its just fading-out music, without lyrics, or sometimes an extended silence if the MP3 wasn't edited tightly at the end.

I can definitely attest to that, skipping the end of a song if it's just fading out.

Pirk - 3-12-2011 at 03:29 PM

You are right catatung, jhlurie's suggestion was very pertinent. hoping Audiosoft can release something for us soon!