Audiosoft Forums Last active: Never
Not logged in [Login - Register]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites   Post new thread Poll:
Author: Subject: Jukebox Etymology
sidartha

posted on 8-4-2004 at 07:36 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
Jukebox Etymology

etymology - n 1: a history of a word 2: the study of the sources and development of words

I have been interested in etymology for a few years now and just happened to come across this today and thought I'd share it with other eJukebox users:

JUKE

PRONUNCIATION: jk, jk

VARIANT FORMS: also jook

NOUN: Southeastern U.S. A roadside or rural establishment offering liquor, dancing, and often gambling and prostitution. Also called juke house, juke joint.

INTRANSITIVE VERB: Inflected forms: juked also jooked, juk·ing, jook·ing, jukes, jooks

1. To play dance music, especially in a juke. 2. To dance, especially in a juke or to the music of a jukebox.

ETYMOLOGY: Probably from Gullah juke, joog, disorderly, wicked, of West African origin; akin to Wolof dzug, to live wickedly, and Bambara dzugu, wicked.

REGIONAL NOTE: Gullah, the English-based Creole language spoken by people of African ancestry off the coast of Georgia and South Carolina, retains a number of words from the West African languages brought over by slaves. One such word is juke, “bad, wicked, disorderly,” the probable source of the English word juke. Used originally in Florida and then chiefly in the Southeastern states, juke (also appearing in the compound juke joint) was an African-American word meaning a roadside drinking establishment that offers cheap drinks, food, and music for dancing and often doubles as a brothel. “To juke” is to dance, particularly at a juke joint or to the music of a jukebox whose name, no longer regional and having lost the connotation of sleaziness, contains the same word.
junk

posted on 8-5-2004 at 06:02 AM Edit Post Reply With Quote
Thanks for the facts! Interesting! I also share this interest for the origin of word, yet i didn't have a word for it before (a bit ironic, perhaps).
View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member junk's ICQ status This User Has MSN Messenger junk's Yahoo
Post new thread Poll:

Go To Top

Audiosoft Home | Download EJukebox for Windows | Register EJukebox
©2019 Audiosoft Network. All rights reserved.
[queries: 16]
HTML5 Color Picker for CSS Opacity
Short Url Service with Stats