Go To Bottom

Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites   Post new thread Poll:
Author: Subject: Linux
dick

posted on 7-3-2004 at 11:41 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
Linux

A few threads ago Fishy stated:
Code:
When I think of it has someone tried to run ej from Wine in linux? Would be, just to pleasure my curiousity, nice to know how that would turn out

Also I found one forum post of a chap who had it running in Wine but it crashed when he tried to do anything.

Now to my questions.

!) Has anybody tried since these posts or succeded in this port from Winblows to Linux?

2) Are there any plans on porting over to Linux?

IN retrospect, since Ejuke relys on Winamp for its media player, I can only assume my dreams are a shot in the dark, BUT it leads to question:

3) Will Ejuke always rely on Winamp?

I bet the answer is no on all aspects, but I do dream. I already have a linux server for the majority of my "stable" needs, it would be nice to do this little jukebox trick up right as well and keep Winblows out of the server room alltogether.
jhlurie

posted on 7-4-2004 at 12:09 AM Edit Post Reply With Quote
Probably very little of this is practical unless Audiosoft rewrites in Java. ;) That's what? A three or four year project? (although I'll admit... what I once thought would be impossible can work, at least in a limited form. The Java-only LimeWire client has a built in media player which actually works...)

The most realistic part would be unpinning from Winamp... but then again the question there would be "why bother"? It's unlikely that Audiosoft could write a better MP3 player.
dick

posted on 7-4-2004 at 12:31 AM Edit Post Reply With Quote
They could allow for a less resource intensive solution. Possibly multiple player selections. I've used quite a few open source ones that do quite well. If they even debate that option, make sure the player can run on Linux however, so the positives would be two fold. i.e we can port to Linux easier, and or we can simply have a selection of alternate players.

*edit*
It would appear I spoke before I did some quality research. I snipped this from some website somewhere.

Winamp 3.0 Beta and Winamp 3.0, Alpha 1 for Linux Released

By Robert Menta- 10/10/01

Yesterday Nullsoft officially moved Winamp from alpha to beta with the release of Winamp 3.0 Beta 1. Nullsoft has also released Winamp 3.0, Alpha 1 for Linux. Built on a new coding platform named "Wasabi", Winamp 3 offers a module setup allowing any component of Winamp to be removed or replaced. This allows third party developers more freedom to customize the program.

The link was on another site.

http://software.deviantart.com/download/225/

I'm not a big fan of Alpha software on my stable machine, so I wont be installing this jsut yet.
Fishy

posted on 7-4-2004 at 02:26 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
I managed to run winamp through wine a few years ago, but it was terrible buggy..
The problem is that Ms keep changing the api all the time and wine just has to struggle to follow.. Haven't used linux for some time now, so I don't know the current status of it..

-----------
Fishy
View User's Profile Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member Fishy's ICQ status
dick

posted on 7-5-2004 at 10:52 AM Edit Post Reply With Quote
Roomate ditched a old 400 mhz mobo/cpu combo. Looks like I have a windows server jsut for this program and Winamp lined up now.

Oh well, whats one more humming box in the room.
jhlurie

posted on 7-5-2004 at 05:47 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
Quote:
Originally posted by ****
They could allow for a less resource intensive solution. Possibly multiple player selections. I've used quite a few open source ones that do quite well. If they even debate that option, make sure the player can run on Linux however, so the positives would be two fold. i.e we can port to Linux easier, and or we can simply have a selection of alternate players.

*edit*
It would appear I spoke before I did some quality research. I snipped this from some website somewhere.

Winamp 3.0 Beta and Winamp 3.0, Alpha 1 for Linux Released

By Robert Menta- 10/10/01

Yesterday Nullsoft officially moved Winamp from alpha to beta with the release of Winamp 3.0 Beta 1. Nullsoft has also released Winamp 3.0, Alpha 1 for Linux. Built on a new coding platform named "Wasabi", Winamp 3 offers a module setup allowing any component of Winamp to be removed or replaced. This allows third party developers more freedom to customize the program.

The link was on another site.

http://software.deviantart.com/download/225/

I'm not a big fan of Alpha software on my stable machine, so I wont be installing this jsut yet.

Given that almost 3 years later no released Linux version has occured, I'd say that it's probably been abandoned. Certainly it wasn't likely open source, so it probably hasn't been taken up by anyone else either.
dick

posted on 7-7-2004 at 01:51 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
I am a b00b, I never even noticed the date. :D
Post new thread Poll:

Go To Top

Audiosoft Home | Download EJukebox for Windows | Register EJukebox
©2019 Audiosoft Network. All rights reserved.
[queries: 16]
HTML5 Color Picker for CSS Opacity
Short Url Service with Stats