Audiosoft Forums Last active: Never
Not logged in [Login - Register]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites   Post new thread Poll:
Author: Subject: Fun with graphic files: tips for using them in skins
jhlurie

posted on 6-13-2004 at 07:10 AM Edit Post Reply With Quote
Fun with graphic files: tips for using them in skins

It seemed to me that we could help each other with conversation on one of the toughest part of skinning--graphics selection, resizing/scaling and assignment.

First off... it's seemed to me with the fooling around I've done so far that the only really "safe" graphic is a tileable one, since the interfaces either resize or are tough fits for more out-of-the-box graphics. However for the times when we don't want to tile, I think it would be nice for us to assemble a "size guide" for each interface area so we can scale our graphics accordingly.

I've had some luck with animated graphics. In fact, in a burst of experimentation I replaced every single graphic file with an animated GIF in one sitting and watched the flashing until I practically developed epilepsy. The key to successfully using them is probably somewhere in the middle. The songlist is a challenging place, for example, to use a large animated GIF, unless it's very few frames, with a minimum of motion (a flashing lights effect works well for example, like stars twinking). The playlist area is great for an animated file, but it's got to be one which still looks good when little pieces of it are chopped off when you add items to the queue. The Now Playing area has the restriction that your "action" on an animated file better be happening around the edges, since the album cover is in the middle.

I haven't tried designing a new header yet, because it seems to me that exact dimensions are important.

Anyone else have any graphics tips or strategies for using them in skins?
jhlurie

posted on 6-13-2004 at 07:21 AM Edit Post Reply With Quote
You can actually get creatively goofy with animated files too. For example, I know someday I'll probably build a whole skin around the attached graphic, mostly because it would be so darn silly. :D

jhlurie has attached this image:
ihatziganix400.gif - 653.39kb
Pirk
Posting Freak

posted on 6-13-2004 at 08:45 AM Edit Post Reply With Quote
Well... good luck to include this graphic in a skin! :D

The exact dimensions of each graphic can always be found easily if you start with the eJukebox default graphics and fill them with your own creations.

I think the best strategy would be we learn to use properly the Photoshop tools... ALL IS THERE! A few good tutorials like this one: http://www.xentrik.net/graphics/ would be welcome for (some of :)) us amateur designers. This very good learning site is a tip from Audiosoft! when i started to play with the songlist DIS files...

Concerning to me, i have an handicap (one more! :D): i also need to learn English at the same time!! So, if you have some tips for that too! ;)
Audiosoft
Super Administrator

posted on 6-13-2004 at 09:34 AM Edit Post Reply With Quote
The following add-on plugins can do some nice filtering effects in Photoshop without much effort (and were used to create parts of the default eJukebox skin): Eye Candy and Xenofex

There are downloadable demos of the latest versions of both (which which allow you to utilize some of the features for free) at:
http://www.alienskin.com/

:cool: Audiosoft
View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Pirk
Posting Freak

posted on 6-13-2004 at 10:11 AM Edit Post Reply With Quote
Ah ahh... maybe that will help us to produce better skins!

Thanks for the tips! :)
jhlurie

posted on 6-14-2004 at 04:55 AM Edit Post Reply With Quote
Quote:
Originally posted by Pirk
Well... good luck to include this graphic in a skin! :D

The exact dimensions of each graphic can always be found easily if you start with the eJukebox default graphics and fill them with your own creations.

Yes, I'm just suggesting that at some point they should be documented to save people time, rather than having to go back and look inside the default skin directory to repeatedly get pixel dimensions (especially since the file names don't always correspond to the exact purpose of the graphic, and then you need to devote even more time to finding the right DIS file and cross-checking).

Quote:
The following add-on plugins can do some nice filtering effects in Photoshop without much effort (and were used to create parts of the default eJukebox skin): Eye Candy and Xenofex

Rats. That's what I get for being a JASC Paintshop Pro user instead. :D
Post new thread Poll:

Go To Top

Audiosoft Home | Download EJukebox for Windows | Register EJukebox
©2019 Audiosoft Network. All rights reserved.
[queries: 16]
HTML5 Color Picker for CSS Opacity
Short Url Service with Stats