Audiosoft Forums Last active: Never
Not logged in [Login - Register]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites   Post new thread Poll:
Author: Subject: Kiosk Mode Not Secure!
noision

shocked.gif posted on 5-24-2004 at 05:49 AM Edit Post Reply With Quote
Kiosk Mode Not Secure!

In Kiosk Mode, the "TOOLS" menu is still available.

Anyone can then go to load playlist and access any file in the computer and delete it! This goes for Windows folder and of course songs and programs.

This is serious!!

Is there any solution?

Thanks in advance!
Fishy

posted on 5-24-2004 at 06:07 AM Edit Post Reply With Quote
Very true. I don't use the kiosk mode myself since I run ejukebox it in a private setting mostly.

But I can imagine that this issue is quite critical when using ej in a public setting like pubs (imagine what drunk people might do) and schools etc. Hopefully this will be fixed very soon as it's an urgent security issue.

You might in the meanwhile edit colors.ini and set the color for the "tools" button to '0'. Colors.ini is located in the images directory in ej.

This will make this button disappear into the background and be less visable for users.

-----------
Fishy
View User's Profile Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member Fishy's ICQ status
Audiosoft
Super Administrator

posted on 5-24-2004 at 06:57 AM Edit Post Reply With Quote
Thanks for bringing this to our attention. We have removed the "Load File" menu item from the TOOLS -> "View Playlist" menu when in Kiosk mode for eJukebox v3.83. The v3.83 upgrade will be released sometime this week.

:cool: Audiosoft
View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
noision

posted on 5-24-2004 at 05:45 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
Thanks for this. And thanks for the tip to turn the button black as that is the best one since in Kiosk mode I would like people not to be able to load playlists either. Perhaps even more control for every single choice in the tools would be great.

I made a workaround as well: I made all the important folders (indeed, every single folder on all the drives) HIDDEN in their property boxes. Thus the user can see the drives but sees no and can therefore mess with no folders or contects. You have have also remove files from the desktop so thay can't muck with those either. But it works. Looking for the update!

Also, I can't seem to get the album art to go as background on the track list
noision

posted on 5-24-2004 at 05:48 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
Just to clarify my last post, when you set your folders to hidden, in explorer you need to go to tools|folder options| view and set it to hide hidden folders.

If you need to see these folders for yourself when doing things, you need to go in and have it show hidden folders. Then before going back to secure kiosk mode you then undo this so the folders are hidden again.
Fishy

posted on 5-24-2004 at 10:27 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
Noision: Sounds like good sollutions..

May I dare to ask in what setting you use ejukebox? Are you involved in some digital jukebox building or simular?
View User's Profile Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member Fishy's ICQ status
junk

posted on 5-25-2004 at 09:51 AM Edit Post Reply With Quote
I was planning to use the Kiosk mode at the youth club, but i found that the need for the kids to switch the songs was ever-present, since they often select another song than the one intended. As far as i remember; in Kiosk mode, you cannot skip songs. Or am i mistaking here?

By the way, one major problem used to be that the fullscreen modes always looked out of porportion. This is perhaps fixed now, 'cause i'd rather have eJ running on its own screen, with no resizing options. Basically, i want Kiosk mode with skipping.
View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member junk's ICQ status This User Has MSN Messenger junk's Yahoo
Fishy

posted on 5-25-2004 at 10:05 AM Edit Post Reply With Quote
Junk: I can recommend running ej in fullscreen at 1024x768. You have edv available and looks propotional. At least it looks and feels good at my 19" and 21 " telly.

-----------
Fishy
junk

posted on 5-25-2004 at 03:03 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
Ah, great! I'd better check it out... i've been using 3 monitors for a long time, and that's probably why it hasn't worked at home.

Edit:
Ah! I just tried it out! Works great at the youth club, thanks! :)
View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member junk's ICQ status This User Has MSN Messenger junk's Yahoo
Fishy

posted on 5-26-2004 at 04:21 AM Edit Post Reply With Quote
Np! By the way just played a little with the kioskmode, and I think you'd like to do the same :)

It seems like if it's configured properly, you can use both the playbutton (in songlist) and the "next song button" at playcontrols to switch and skip songs. Also one can change the order of the songs in the playlist. I don't know if that satisfies all your needs at the youth club ;) (no dirty interpretations thank you)

-----------
Fishy
junk

posted on 5-26-2004 at 08:21 AM Edit Post Reply With Quote
Hehe, this should be very satisfactory, thank you. :) It's been too long since i last played with the kiosk mode, time to check it out again.
pathomas

posted on 6-1-2004 at 03:42 AM Edit Post Reply With Quote
Playlist not a problem

With respect to the original problem with the playlist that can be fixed by the administrator of the computer by running eJukebox as a very under privileged user.
But personaly I think there should be an option to disable the tools menu in kiosk mode.
View User's Profile View All Posts By User U2U Member pathomas's Aim pathomas's Yahoo
Post new thread Poll:

Go To Top

Audiosoft Home | Download EJukebox for Windows | Register EJukebox
©2019 Audiosoft Network. All rights reserved.
[queries: 16]
HTML5 Color Picker for CSS Opacity
Short Url Service with Stats