Audiosoft Forums Last active: Never
Not logged in [Login - Register]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites   Post new thread Poll:
Author: Subject: A little less automated stuff
Haavard

posted on 3-4-2004 at 09:08 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
A little less automated stuff

I've been using ejukebox for a while now, and I really love it. However some features are really driving me nuts. Among other things, the program keeps fucking around with my collection without me asking for it. For example, all my Soudtrack of Our Lives-records are tagged as "compilations" every time I rebuild. There really needs to be some way of disabling this feature.

Also, I would like the option to choose whether or not every song I double-click should be added to the database.

Or maybe I'm just stupid and these features can be easily disabled? :)

Anyway, great software! I love it! I only wish for less automated features in the future. :)

Håvard Anthonsen
Fishy

posted on 3-4-2004 at 09:23 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
Hi there, norwegian loonie ;)

1. I agree with you on that one. The problem is that ej uses albumnames as "clues" for what kind of album it is. And the names are often misleading and it would probably be better to listen to tags only. You might be interested in reading:
http://
www.audiosoft.net/forums/viewthread.php?tid=632

I think Audiosoft is aware of this, since it has been discussed several times before.

2. Yep. At least an option to remove songs, albums and artists without having to rebuild the entire database. A "remove dead files" function could also prove handy :)

-----------
Fishy
View User's Profile Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member Fishy's ICQ status
Krobar

posted on 3-4-2004 at 11:09 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
I have asked for a "Tag Only Mode" for some time. I dont think I can be the only person in the world that has a collection that is properly tagged. The other problem is my collection is all properly ID3 tagged and about 10% of the albums dont appear in the album list.

It must be said though that recently EJ has been getting an awful lot closer to what I would consider perfect.
Fishy

posted on 3-4-2004 at 11:35 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
Heh, I think a lot of people in this forum (including myself) care enough about their mp3's and tags to qualify for a obsessive-compulsive disorder diagnosis :)

10% of your albums sounds a little too much though! Are they all in mp3 format?

-----------
Fishy
View User's Profile Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member Fishy's ICQ status
Krobar

posted on 3-5-2004 at 08:00 AM Edit Post Reply With Quote
They are all mp3 format and properly id3V2 tagged. It has issues with anything containg similar names to another album. Best of albums are badly messed up. Im pretty sure the album probs are another victim of "Clue Sniffing".
Demnos

posted on 3-5-2004 at 10:33 AM Edit Post Reply With Quote
Don't forget the annoying bug that eJukebox will not display any album that has the same name as the artist. So if you have an album "Fleetwood Mac" by "Fleetwood Mac", then forget about ever seeing it. So as a workaround, make sure you call it something else such as "Fleetwood Mac Selftitled"...

This bug has only been there for the last 18 months or so, so we can only keep Wishing And Hoping (why we should be Kaleidoscoping..., Tom Verlaine) ;)
Fishy

posted on 3-6-2004 at 01:04 AM Edit Post Reply With Quote
Demnos: it's difficult to forget something that one is reminded of every day.

However this problem is kind of weird, because it's not consistent! As an illustration I do have the artist janes addiction with the album janes addiction. Both artistname and albumname are named identically. The album is showing up correctly in the albumlist and songlist. But I got artists/albums where this becomes a problem, just can't come up with an example right now..

I experience the "name sniffing problem" at it's worst with albums, by different artists, but with the same albumname. For instance The rolling stones - unplugged and alice in chains - unplugged are grouped together in the songlist. Even though they are showing up as seperate albums in the albumlist. When I click at one of those albums ej enters the songlist and lists up both the albums. Even if my intention was to only list the rolling stones one or alice in chains one. This also happens to albums named "live" and such. Hope you get the point (I am a little tired)

Audiosoft: Is it possible to avoid this in some way? Are there any drawbacks of letting ej *only* use tags as clues for how to treat the albums? At least as an option for those of us who like to edit the tags manually?

-----------
Fishy
sidartha

posted on 3-8-2004 at 12:12 AM Edit Post Reply With Quote
That would make it 100% perfect for me!
Fishy

posted on 3-16-2005 at 04:10 AM Edit Post Reply With Quote
Hopefully fixed in 4.0. Would like to hear a response from audiosoft at this, as it is an issue often brough up.. :)

-----------
Fishy
jhlurie

posted on 3-17-2005 at 03:25 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
Quote:
Originally posted by Krobar
I have asked for a "Tag Only Mode" for some time. I dont think I can be the only person in the world that has a collection that is properly tagged. The other problem is my collection is all properly ID3 tagged and about 10% of the albums dont appear in the album list.

Actually my position has been for a long time that there's a better alternative than a Tag-Only mode, and that's a mode where the tag is ONLY altered if the album field in the tag is blank. As eJ currently works it "decides" if the album already there is wrong based on an online lookup from a source which is VERY frequently wrong.

There's nothing inherently wrong with an auto-lookup if it's purpose is ONLY to fill in a blank. It's when it overwrites information that it's insane.

Quick. Somebody more "in" than me slip this suggestion to Audiosoft. I suggested it as far back as a year and a half ago.
Post new thread Poll:

Go To Top

Audiosoft Home | Download EJukebox for Windows | Register EJukebox
©2019 Audiosoft Network. All rights reserved.
[queries: 16]
HTML5 Color Picker for CSS Opacity
Short Url Service with Stats