Not logged in [Login - Register]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites   Post new thread Poll:
Author: Subject: Playlists & Bookmarks
Viper__182

posted on 2-16-2004 at 01:29 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
Playlists & Bookmarks

Hi to everyone!

Due to my work and my healt status, I've not been so often here in the forum...Sorry to everyone!

Now the "problem": After a big big work I put the info in my mp3 tags, so now I have a very clean and complete mp3 database. I chosen A LOT of songs and inserted in several Bookmarks (as ROMANTIC, FUNNY, Etc. Etc...), and so I became very very happy.

:D

But EVERY time that I move all the mp3 in another folder, or another hard-disk, and so I must re-create my database, I have to re-insert the songs in the Bookmarks, So I became very sad...

:(

Most of all, cause I'm using this scheme to "storage" songs: I created "n" folders called CD-01, CD02, etc., and I "backupped" to "n" CD-Rw, so I have my complete set of songs in every moment..but NOT my Bookmarks.

I already know that Bookmarks are Playlists, and they are "openable" with a text-editor, and for every song there is the full-path...

My question is this:

Is it possible to link songs inserted in bookmarks NOT as now to their full-path inside volume (as usually requested from WinAmp) but only to the title (or to other info inside the Mp3 tags, that never change after the first time you correct type them inside the mp3-song)?

And I think that it would be great that a Special function be created to convert, when needed, these "Special Bookmark" to "Normal Playlists"...

Thanks to eveyone that had the patience to read all this, and a special hi! to Pirk, my french friend.

:cool:
Pirk
Posting Freak

posted on 2-16-2004 at 09:19 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
Hi Viper!

I'm happy of your comeback in the Audiosoft forums, and i hope you are now in a top form again! ;)
Bravo for your big work on your mp3 tags!

Concerning the bookmarks you would like they not be linked to the full path... I've never experienced this problem because i never move my mp3s! And in fact i don't use the bookmarks a lot...

BUT a solution i would see for you, would be you put your own classifications (ROMANTIC, FUNNY, Etc. Etc...) in the GENRE tags:
The ID3 Tags V2 allow you to put one or several words back to back for the genre, i.e: "Romantic" or "Rock Romantic" or even "Rock Romantic Funny". There is no limite... it's user free! And of course, as all is in the tags, it's not linked to the file path...

The only problem with this method in eJukebox is actually the eJukebox genre list can only display 20 genres maximum!
But i've requested to Audiosoft to create a second or even a third column when there are more than 20 genres. And they have answered to me they can do this!
I hope it's still planned... :)

Otherwize Viper, have you worked on your own new design for eJukebox?
You can post a screenshoot here... :D

Audiosoft,

Can you tell us if you still plan to add additional columns for the genre list soon?

Thanks.
Viper__182

posted on 2-16-2004 at 10:07 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
Hi Pirk!

I'm very glad about this chance to give my modest voice to this forum again!

Well, about your idea, thanks for the try...But unluckly this way to do is a bit too complicated for all my female friends that every time that visit me search for new songs I add in recent past and select all the songs they like, and they add all these in they Bookmark ("For Example: "Paola", "Elena", "Serena", Kessica", etc.)

:D
;D

But...Being seriously, of course it's not only this the problem!
;)

My mind fly to every time I move my mp3s...

You must know that I had thousand and thousand of mp3s (all tags completed...SING!) that a lightning erased (burning my PC) last year..
I RE-started to collect my favourite mp3s, but...every time I moved my mp3s to another position, I must re-selected all my playlists and, most of all, eJukebox Bookmarks .

I perfecly know that most of people keeps all the mp3 in the hard-disk in one or more folder that often keep the same name and position, so path...

...but try to imagine this (sad sad) situation:
You have 3.000 FANTASTIC songs...rare...acoustics...All on your hard disks...and one bad day...Something happen and you loose ALL!

I really think most of you became very very sad, and angry...

..BUT, if you had a backu-up set, you won't loose nothing!
....except your so loved bookmarks!
And I wanna remember too all the people that, like me, try to create perfect databases, with ID3 Tags full and perfect, with Album name, Year release, etc...
WONDERFUL!
But... in order to do this, Mp3 must be frequently moved, changed, re-created, etc. etc...

So..Please, Audiosoft Team, can you answer me if it's possible for me wait from you a little help in this problem of mine?
I only ask Audiosoft link songs in the bookmarks referring only to title-Album in MP3 ID3 TAGS...This, for example, would solve my problem...

And, I repeat, a simple Conversion-Funtion to simple playlist woud be great!

To Pirk: thinking to my healt problem, I had to time/chances to try to give my little help to the graphical side of Audiosoft...But now...I really think I'll try, as soon as possible!

;)

Bye!!!

Fishy

posted on 2-16-2004 at 10:27 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
In general I agree with you in one thing: too many things are reset on rebuild at the present time. I would like some more user control over what will get reset on rebuild and what's not.

I wouldn't mind if It took some more time to rebuild the database if I could keep *all* stats in the homeview for instance. A possibility to define "keep all stats, bookmarks etc on rebuild" would be great. But probably also a lot of work to implement?

-----------
Fishy
View User's Profile Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member Fishy's ICQ status
Pirk
Posting Freak

posted on 2-16-2004 at 11:38 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
Viper,

I understand your problem... all these "females" who always make new bookmarks... terrible! be good!! :D

Concerning to me, i try to always name my albums in the same way: C:/mp3/Artist - Year - Album. So it's easy to find them after any event! And i've a backup on another hard-drive dedicated to this. I've stopped to use cd-roms because the tags are never up-to-date, and also because i have most than 10.000 mp3 fully tagged with all the album images! Too much cds... :)

Otherwise, your idea for the bookmarks is... attractive! lol, but i'm not sure that could be implemented easily. We will see the answer of Audiosoft, well i hope... ;)
Demnos

posted on 2-17-2004 at 11:51 AM Edit Post Reply With Quote
Pirk, funny, I used to keep a backup on HD, but just now I switched to DVD-R, mainly for price reasons. Backup on a HD only makes sense if you have a removable disc, so we are talking ca. 150 Euros for a decenz external drive.

10.000 songs - exactly the amount I have. That's 80 GB - fits nicely on 18 DVD-Rs and at 4x speed, you can do a full backup in 4 1/2 hours (but really it is much less, because you only need to count 18 times 1 minute where you go and swap discs). Cost: About 18 x 1,50 = 27 (vs 150 for the HD).

Regarding the request from Viper, I am wondering if you couldn't do all this with one of the better Tagging Programs? The only thing that is needed is a feature "create .M3U Playlist" and a way to sort and select a subgroup of files by any of its tags, so that the "create Playlist" would only use that subgroup.

I know Tag & Rename doesn't do this, but there are so many good programs out there...
Viper__182

posted on 2-17-2004 at 01:12 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
Cowboys & Bookmarks

Hi to everyone. I'm very glad to see that other people would like to have something to solve this "problem".

Regarding to Pirk's Idea putting MP3 TAGS the term as FUNNY, ROMANTIC; etc., I don't find this solution so easy as the Good Demnos tell, 'cause try to compare:

1) the time and the easy-hand to select DIRECTLY on eJukebox songs and insert in the relative bookmarks.
Vs
2) Every time I think a song is good for 3-4-5 bookmarks, I have to insert in every MP3 TAGS all the words, or use an external program (Demnos is right, me too I think they exist) to help me to do this for group of MP3s.

Of course I wanna give a "thank you" to Demnos and Pirk, but I must confess that I really don't think I'll choose this way to do...Most of all, considering that it's NOT only me in my flat that create and manage bookmarks, but my friends too (not only females, unluckly!) they have their Bookmarks...

I really don't wanna create any problem, or ignore the value of a FANTASTIC program as eJukebox, I wanted only ask if it would be so difficult to add a different way to manage bookmarks from eJukebox, no-more using Full Disk Path but taking as "led" for example Title-song and Album-song in the MP3 Tags.

Maybe this would not be possible, maybe yes. The only true important thing is, for me, that I have the chance, thanks to this Forum, to propose my problemsand my requests to eJukebox Staff and other eJukebox Users...a Very Fantastic chance.

Waiting for a reply, most of all from AudioSoft Team (for quite obvious reasons), now I come back to my swimming-pool, to drink a Red Martini and "talk" with my Very Cute Female Friends...(mmh...What a Bikinis!!)

;)

Demnos

posted on 2-17-2004 at 03:03 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
Viper,

oh, I see I didn't express myself clearly. Of course I want you and your many girlfriends to use only eJukebox, and nothing else. Using the Tag program can be an alternative to "exporting" and "importing" from the "special" bookmark to "real" bookmark, a feature you suggested in your post.

Let's do a real-life example:

Tina comes and puts her songs into her "Tina" bookmark in eJukebox. Next day, Paula picks songs into her "Paula" bookmark list. Some will be the same as Tina, some not. And then Nancy picks hers, again, some overlap with either Tina or Paula, or with both, others not.

So far everything is like you use it today.

Now you had enough of all these girls taking up your precious time and you kick them out, so you can reorganize your MP3 collection.

Now my idea: First you "EXPORT": You load "TINA.M3U", select all files in it and tell your Tag program to write "Tina" in an unused field for ALL files. Then you do the same with the other ladies' files. The problem here is: If you use the same ID3 field, then "Paula" may overwrite "Tina". So the Tag program must either be able to "append", so that you will see "Tina, Paula" for songs that both like, or you must use a different field for each girl. The latter would be the best solution, so you must find a program that supports "User Fields" where you can add as many fields as you like and call them what you want.

So it is a bit of manual work, but you only do it once for every bookmark list and it is done with 2 or 3 keystrokes.

Now you can move the files around as much as you like. You can even bring them to a different PC, give them to a friend etc: The information is now safely stored inside the MP3 file.

Finally, you IMPORT: Tell the Tag program to show only files where the field contains the word TINA. Select them all and "Write .M3U Playlist". Again, you do this for every girl. You end up with one bookmark list for each girl with correct full pathnames.

Then you get on the phone and call Tina to come running quickly...

Like I said, I have no idea if there is a program that will do it, but with some 20 or 30 programs on the market, I wouldn't be suprised. Tag& Rename "almost" does it...

In the end, I think this is a much better solution then what you have requested, because it allows you to also correct spelling mistakes and edit artist and song name. What you requested would protect you from moving files to a different directory, but not from any other changes you make. So it would not really solve your problem, maybe only reduce it a bit!

I don't know about you, but I find myself making more changes to Artist names than anything else, usually because I want them to be "last name, first name", but CDDB and Allmusic.com always put the first name first. Sometimes I forget to fix that, especially on compilations and soundtracks. If I used "your" method, I would still lose my bookmarks...
Viper__182

posted on 2-17-2004 at 07:15 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
Bookmarks & ID3 TAGS programs

Hi Demnos!

You're wrong, the concept was clear...But you start from a different point of view than mine:

I have "only" a small number of songs in my DB, (1623), but EVERY SONG has ALL the ID3 fileds FULL and CORRECT...an ENOURMOUS work that I'm very proud about, so it almost never happen to me to correct "on the road" ID3 tags...("outside" my DB I ha more or less 6.000 Mp3, that, bit to bit, I'll complete with correct info and insert in eJukebox DB)

...One more thing, please: The story of all the friends that has different Bookmarks is true but NOT the most important reason for my request to eJukebox Staff: EVERY time I move a SINGLE MP3, I LOST it from my Bookmarks. and again, if I lost ALL mi files, and I have to re-insert, I really can't think to re-create my bookmarks with ALL the songs..

Ok, for sure I'd can re-make all manually, maybe with the systems you propose me, but I think that not only me would appreciate the chance to do all this in a very simple way directly in eJukebox...
(here I'm serious)
(:)

..All this more than for me, for All of My Girls...
(here a bit less)
(;)

NOTE: I'd like very much know the eJukebox Staff opinion about my request..maybe they think it's a not so comfortable or useful new function...

PS: Of Course I know that my problem is "more feel" from people like Pirk or Demnos too, that, as me, has many many girls to make happy...But I think that a lot of other male customers can be helped with this new function to widen female contacts..
;)

Byeeeeeeeee
Demnos

posted on 2-17-2004 at 08:20 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
Ok, I see your point and will shut up so that Audisoft may speak! Besides, I have some female friends to attend to now :P
Viper__182

posted on 2-17-2004 at 08:22 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
I was sure you were in my same situation...

;)

So...Audiosoft?
Pirk
Posting Freak

posted on 2-17-2004 at 09:04 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
Demnos,
Yes, DVD-R is a trendy solution... if i haved a dvd-writer i would probably use it for my mp3 backups. But i don't have any!
I've put my second hard-drive in a drawer :D So i can easily remove it to keep safe all my songs, or even swap it with a third!
This solution is cheap on my old computer, as i already have the 3 hard-drives! And i don't want to buy a dvd-writer for that old computer...
Pirk
Posting Freak

posted on 2-18-2004 at 08:18 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
Viper,

I think you have drawn here a lot of females talking us of your girl friends: :D:D:D
There is a new user registered called "Magdalonie". She has a lot of friends on her web site! (Janie, Nyla, Loren, Simone, Parisia, Abbey, Evelyn...) Have a look to her profile... I think you will not be disappointed ;)

Audiosoft,

Be carreful! :o There is again an attack of a [Censored] SITE in your forums! :o
Post new thread Poll:

Go To Top

Audiosoft Home | Download EJukebox for Windows | Register EJukebox
©2019 Audiosoft Network. All rights reserved.
[queries: 16]
HTML5 Color Picker for CSS Opacity
Short Url Service with Stats