Audiosoft Forums Last active: Never
Not logged in [Login - Register]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites   Post new thread Poll:
Author: Subject: I've got a serious problem with tags!
Fishy

posted on 11-1-2003 at 02:12 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
I've got a serious problem with tags!

There seem to me that ejukebox contains some serious bugs when identifying id tags. Is this the case? It keeps renaming albums I've renamed in the rename album function in the edit song option, back to what it was before renaming. This usally happens after some rebuilds.

I've got several albums that got perfectly good id tags, but won't show up in the playlist. I've tripple checked the tags, and they don't contain any special characters etc. Examples are Janes addiction - strays, janes addiction - janes addiction and tori amos - from venus and back. The thing they got in common are that they are all wma based. All have been edited through tagrename. Is it my tags that are wrong somewhere? Or is it ejukebox that can't make sense of them?

In the latter case I hope that this will be fixed!

-----------
Fishy
View User's Profile Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member Fishy's ICQ status
IBMuser

posted on 11-2-2003 at 02:03 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
- and ( can cause problems

If album title includes '-' or '(' it usually is not displayed correctly. Who knows why? In my opinion this is an obvious bug. Before it is fixed (hopefully soon) try to rename your albums.
Audiosoft
Super Administrator

posted on 11-2-2003 at 08:54 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
Fishy,

eJukebox can only read/write data to ID3 tags of MP3 files. WMA tags are not supported... so when you edit these with eJukebox the new data is only saved to the eJ database. So changes to non-MP3 files will be lost on Rebuilding because the data was not stored in the tags like with MP3 files and thus can not be re-read in.

:cool: Audiosoft
View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Fishy

sad.gif posted on 11-2-2003 at 11:40 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
Any chance of implementing support for wma and ogg tags as well?? Think there are a lot of users out there with quite a few of these fileformats on their harddrive, who would welcome support for this in ejukebox.....

-----------
Fishy
View User's Profile Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member Fishy's ICQ status
junk

posted on 11-3-2003 at 08:46 AM Edit Post Reply With Quote
It might also be easier to implement full support for the Musepack (MPC) format than you might think. It says in a description of the format;

"Musepack is based on the MPEG-1 Layer 2 standard (mp2), but includes many improvements. It is praised by the audiophiles and currently considered as the highest quality lossy compression audio format. Currently offered for free. "

Here's a link to a previous discussion of the MPC and other formats:
http://www.audiosoft.net/forums/viewthread.php?tid=364
View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member junk's ICQ status This User Has MSN Messenger junk's Yahoo
Fishy

posted on 11-3-2003 at 05:26 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
Hmm I think this format support issue is quite important. Ejukebox is supposed to organise my music collection, and I don't like the though of converting all my wma, ogg and mpc collection.... hmm

-----------
Fishy
junk

posted on 11-4-2003 at 08:53 AM Edit Post Reply With Quote
I agree, even though i don't use WMA myself, i have a couple of OGG albums, which won't show up in the album list. I even had to go through the annoying file renaming process as well, renaming the songs "Artist - track nr - song title". Is there a way to get eJ to recognize the album name as well?

But more importantly, are there any plans for enabling tag recognition for WMA and OGG? I know that especially WMA is a format that's coming to stay, and it would scare of new users (especially all those who use Windows Media Player to rip all their CD's) away from eJukebox, if they realise that such a common format is not properly supported... :o
View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member junk's ICQ status This User Has MSN Messenger junk's Yahoo
Fishy

posted on 11-4-2003 at 05:32 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
jepp... wma and ogg are getting more and more common these days. Hmm.. don't know if it's an easy task to get support for them though. If I know an unamed software company right, I would guess they have a very closed and restricted nature on their wma format? Correct me if I am wrong.

But when it comes to ogg and mpc, it should be an easier task to get read and write support for them in ejukebox? Eagerly awaiting some response on this ;)

-----------
Fishy
junk

posted on 11-6-2003 at 01:23 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
Tag reading of MPC's are allready supported, but not tag writing.

I hope we'll get read support for the other formats soon as well, and then write support can come along in time... i could live with that situation for a long time, allthough, in the end, we would all enjoy the ability to edit the songs in eJukebox as well.
Fishy

posted on 11-6-2003 at 07:11 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
Agreed! Read support for all major formats should be the primary objective. There is a bundle of software sollutions that support write anyhow, so I get your point junk!

Hmm.. does winamp support read of wma and ogg?

-----------
Fishy
Fishy

posted on 11-7-2003 at 06:56 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
It also seems like the mpc read got some abnormalities. Today I had to rename a album with mpc's by Kruder und durfmeister because for some reason ejukebox thought the artist name should be: "Nightmares on wax". I checked the actual tags, which have been edited by an external program (tag&Rename) and as I suspected the tag was correct "Kruder und durfmeister" but, somehow like magic, ejukebox made that become "nightmares on wax".

Is there any plans on doing something about these, in my eyes, heavy bugs in the tag read system audiosoft?

I know you got a lot to implement already, but from my perspective it's of extreme importance that the tagsystem works flawlessly with the different formats that's becoming more and more usual. I hate repeating my self. But this really messes up my music collection.....

-----------
Fishy
Post new thread Poll:

Go To Top

Audiosoft Home | Download EJukebox for Windows | Register EJukebox
©2019 Audiosoft Network. All rights reserved.
[queries: 16]
HTML5 Color Picker for CSS Opacity
Short Url Service with Stats