Audiosoft Forums Last active: Never
Not logged in [Login - Register]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites   Post new thread Poll:
Author: Subject: Option to display playlist info in main song list view
stsirois

posted on 10-13-2003 at 02:45 AM Edit Post Reply With Quote
Option to display playlist info in main song list view

With a lot of play time lately with eJ, I've noticed that the usefulness of the playlist section (right beneath the Now Playing section) is sorely lacking. I'm using eJ to display on my 27" TV & because of that, the songs, along with the eJ options, are very difficult to read, even with the largest font activated. I would rather see this information displayed in the main view of eJ for much better visibility.

With eJ becoming more & more complex with the advent of newer & cooler features, it seems like the options screen is getting more & more crowded. Seems like it would make perfect sense to show this informantion in the main view.

Even with a normal PC monitor, I would imagine the playlist view would become less useful as playlists get larger. Instead of just glancing at the playlist to get an idea of what's coming up in the next couple of handfuls of songs, one has to keep paging through the list to get that info. The main view should be able to show at least 4 or 5 times the amount of songs in the regular playlist, I would imagine. Whadda y'all think about this?

Thanks,
Steve
stsirois

posted on 10-26-2003 at 04:13 AM Edit Post Reply With Quote
Is anyone else interested in this new feature? I think it's a valid request for us HTPC users.

Thanks,
Steve
Pirk
Posting Freak

posted on 10-26-2003 at 10:01 AM Edit Post Reply With Quote
Steve, if you really want to see the playlist in the songlist, i have a palliative solution for you:
Menu > Save Playlist
Tools > View Playlist > Load File

You need to do this each time you add songs to the playlist... but it's the only solution for us HTPC users, waiting for a .dis file be dedicated to the playlist! ;)
Fishy

posted on 10-27-2003 at 12:51 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
"Even with a normal PC monitor, I would imagine the playlist view would become less useful as playlists get larger. Instead of just glancing at the playlist to get an idea of what's coming up in the next couple of handfuls of songs, one has to keep paging through the list to get that info. "

I agree with you on this issue. And it should, as an option, be possible to have the playlist in the main view. It would allow better overview of the songs coming up and better control over the playlist in general. I have encountered several examples, where the playlistview becomes too small and cluttered, and I would like to get a bigger perspective of what actually "comes next" :) If it was possible as a user defined option to view the playlist in a larger scala somhow :).

-----------
Fishy
View User's Profile Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member Fishy's ICQ status
stsirois

posted on 10-27-2003 at 09:22 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
Quote:
Originally posted by Pirk
Steve, if you really want to see the playlist in the songlist, i have a palliative solution for you:
Menu > Save Playlist
Tools > View Playlist > Load File

You need to do this each time you add songs to the playlist... but it's the only solution for us HTPC users, waiting for a .dis file be dedicated to the playlist! ;)

Thanks for the suggestion, Pirk, but that really doesn't work too effeciently when working with dynamic playlists that I create on the fly when browsing for songs to play. You idea should work, though, for static playlists like the one I'm planning on creating for my Halloween party.

Fishy, I'm glad you agree with me on my observations. I think so much more could be done with playlists that could please both HTPC & PC monitor users.:D

Thanks,
Steve
Pirk
Posting Freak

posted on 10-27-2003 at 10:53 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
Well, you are right... it's a good idea. I'm for!
Maybe Audiosoft could add a button on the top of the playlist to see all the details in the songlist. And i already know the name to display on the top of the songlist: Playlist :D;)
junk

posted on 10-28-2003 at 10:41 AM Edit Post Reply With Quote
This playlist could actually look cool as well... i started imagening a small image of the album, next to each song in the playlist. Since this playlist should be in a BIG font (that's part of the point, right?), there ought to be enough space... mmm, eye candy material. ;)

This would also mean that you could recognize in the flash of a millisecond if there's a song you have to remove, if you know your coverart. This, combined with another previously suggested function, namely the letting the random function generate and display not only 1 song in advance, but a LOT... then we would have a real cool randomized playlist generator that would be easy to maintain and great to look at. :)

It would also improve the usage of the custom playmode, as you could easily see the results of your variables (as opposed to having to run back and change the parameters when you hear that choosing "artist = amon" would also give you Amon Düül II as well as Amon Tobin)..
View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member junk's ICQ status This User Has MSN Messenger junk's Yahoo
Pirk
Posting Freak

posted on 10-28-2003 at 09:49 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
Yes junk, you are right. The songlist could display a lot of interesting things since there is a lot of space! ;)
I like your idea to display a lot of songs in advance when you are in autoplay mode, and eventually remove any undesirable song... That would be a real improvement! :)
Fishy

posted on 10-29-2003 at 02:07 AM Edit Post Reply With Quote
All the things mentioned in this post are great ideas. And it's a good thing that we bring some focus to the playlist, right? I think it needs some work. Most users take their first depature in the mp3 world together with winamp, where the playlist sortof is the central of the game, right? Maybe there should be possible to manipulate the playlist a little bit more? Options to place it at other locations in the gui than the deafult? This would give the user more perspective, and would allow functions like those Junk suggested to be developed. The playlist is an essential part of an jukebox? More ideas on this folks?

-----------
Fishy
View User's Profile Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member Fishy's ICQ status
junk

posted on 10-30-2003 at 09:26 AM Edit Post Reply With Quote
It’s a good point, that many users have a “playlist” way of thinking, or at least two or three songs ahead. That’s one of the things I notice at the youth club, they are quite active in removing and adding things to the playlist.
View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member junk's ICQ status This User Has MSN Messenger junk's Yahoo
Audiosoft
Super Administrator

posted on 7-4-2004 at 04:39 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
v3.88 adds a "Current Playlist" item to the Tools button's View Playlist menu, so that you can easily view the current playlist as a songlist.

:cool: Audiosoft
View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Fishy

posted on 7-4-2004 at 05:01 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
Nice :).. Could it be an idea to add a "playlist" button together with the "home" "artist" etc buttons as well.. For a little quicker access to the current playlist in the songlist?

-----------
Fishy
Pirk
Posting Freak

posted on 7-4-2004 at 05:59 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
All right, one more "requested feature" added... Perfect! :)
Audiosoft
Super Administrator

posted on 7-4-2004 at 06:43 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
We have also updated it, in v3.88, so that when you use "View Playlist" it always shows the songs listed in playlist order.

That way you can see the album images next to the songs...and no longer have to click the title column to display it in the order it is in the playlist.

Also if you leave the "Current Playlist" open in the Songlist - it will automatically update the songlist when the playlist changes.

:cool: Audiosoft
View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Pirk
Posting Freak

posted on 7-4-2004 at 07:26 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
It couldn't be better! :D
Well, unless it also be possible to remove undesired songs directly from the songlist, like suggested by junk? Maybe by a right click option, or/and using the "Del" key.

And that would be great if you could also do the same thing when in AUTOPLAY mode, i.e. display several songs in advance... like previously suggested by Junk!
Post new thread Poll:

Go To Top

Audiosoft Home | Download EJukebox for Windows | Register EJukebox
©2019 Audiosoft Network. All rights reserved.
[queries: 16]
HTML5 Color Picker for CSS Opacity
Short Url Service with Stats