Audiosoft Forums Last active: Never
Not logged in [Login - Register]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites   Post new thread Poll:
Author: Subject: use the MP3 tag 'discnr' to separate dics with the same album name
d003232

posted on 11-19-2010 at 11:04 AM Edit Post Reply With Quote
use the MP3 tag 'discnr' to separate dics with the same album name

In EJ I separete albums with more then one disk by giving them a unique name like "Peter Pan (CD 1)", "Peter Pan (CD 2)", "Peter Pan (CD 3)".

They will shown as an album 'Peter Pan' and will be separated into discs within the songlist.

After working with some other playes I learned that there is a MP3 tag field 'DISCNUMBER' and I like the idea to use that field to separate different discs of one album.

Now my songs of the album "Peter Pan" has that field 'DISCNUMBER' filled with: "1/3" or "2/3" or "1/3". All songs now can have the same album name "Peter Pan". No need to add and to detect a "CD 1" string.

I think thats more intuitive then the string detection method. So I request the following features:

• Two fields in the edit song area to enter the disc# and the number of discs. Stored together in the mp3 tag field 'DISCNUMBER'
  • Sort songs in the song list of the album by the value of the DISCNUMBER field

EDIT: fieldname seems to be DISCNUMBER, not discnr
Pirk
Posting Freak

posted on 11-19-2010 at 01:09 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
I would not be against a such feature. because currently with CD1 CD2.., or vol.1 vol.2 included in the album names, some albums are not sorted by Artist -> Album -> CD# in the album list. Using the disc# tag could solve this problem.

:cool: Pirk
CiXel

posted on 11-19-2010 at 01:31 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
The traditional field flag here is called 'Disc' and is formatted 1/2 like you have. Some non-standard tagger must have inserted discnr. If you need to batch edit these, that can easily be done by MP3tag in batch mode to rename the flag 'discnr' to 'Disc'.

It's an interesting idea, but what happens to collections that already have [album] (disc #) in the Album field? This just seems like it would be messy.

If you do a search for Peter Pan now, don't all 3 'albums' come up presently?

If if this gets implemented, I would be wary of suspending your practice of adding the disc number to the Album name, otherwise you will have an issue with any other player that plays / reads tags of your tracks.
d003232

posted on 11-19-2010 at 01:51 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
Quote:
Originally posted by CiXel
The traditional field flag here is called 'Disc' and is formatted 1/2 like you have. Some non-standard tagger must have inserted discnr.
I take a look with Mp3tag. The fieldname seems to bee DISCNUMBER. Even I'm not 100% sure. I don't really understand the mapping feature from Mp3tag between the internal names and the field names in the files.

I did rename my album names with Mp3tag. There I could use a regular expression to select and delete all unneedes suffixes like CD1 Vol.1 ...

I checked it with MediaMonkey and iTunes. There the DISCNUMBER field works very well.
CiXel

posted on 11-19-2010 at 02:06 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
As I understand it the difference between the DISC fields and DISCNUMBER field usage is that DISC has a X of Y syntax ie. 1/3 Which DISCNUMBER just contains the number ie. 1
That's how the metadata in the files I spot checked looked.
Audiosoft
Super Administrator

posted on 11-19-2010 at 11:23 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
Right now you can append a cd number to the album name or use the same album name with track#'s on disc 2 files like 201 202 203 etc.

what we could do is make it detect discnumber and then append Disc 2 or CD 2 to the album name if a number its not already in the album name...
or instead maybe it would be better to increase the track numbers to 201 202 203 etc?

a potential problem with both of those would be that it would end up writing the new appended album name or track# to the tag if you use the song editor.

:cool: Audiosoft
View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
d003232

posted on 11-20-2010 at 06:53 AM Edit Post Reply With Quote
Quote:
Originally posted by Audiosoft
a potential problem with both of those would be that it would end up writing the new appended album name or track# to the tag if you use the song editor.

I would not do any what perhaps could modify the mp3 tag without the willingness of the user.

As I noted now, the only nessesarry chang to use the DISCNUMBER would be to sort by the discnumber within the albums songlist. Now you have a sort like track# 1 1 1 2 2 2 3 3 3 ...

ok, and to be able to edit it in the song editor would also be helpful. But not so important. I suppose the most users with greater collections will edit the songs with Mp3tag or some other external tool.
Post new thread Poll:

Go To Top

Audiosoft Home | Download EJukebox for Windows | Register EJukebox
©2019 Audiosoft Network. All rights reserved.
[queries: 16]
HTML5 Color Picker for CSS Opacity
Short Url Service with Stats