Not logged in [Login - Register]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites   Post new thread Poll:
Author: Subject: Some CDs are not found on the free CDDB
Pirk
Posting Freak

posted on 6-22-2003 at 12:20 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
Some CDs are not found on the free CDDB

I notice some CDs are not found by the eJ CD Ripper on the free CDDB while they are found by others CD rippers like "Easy CD-DA Extractor" which look up at freedb.freedb.org.
What is the reason?

Thanks.

:cool: Pirk
Audiosoft
Super Administrator

posted on 6-22-2003 at 09:12 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
Back in v3.18 we switched the CDDB host to us.freedb.org from freedb.freedb.org because freedb.freedb.org was down at the time. Now that it is working again we will change it back to freedb.freedb.org for the next version.

:cool: Audiosoft
View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
jhlurie

posted on 6-22-2003 at 11:23 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
How about a method that checks one database, and then falls back to the other if the first source is down?
Audiosoft
Super Administrator

posted on 6-22-2003 at 11:51 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
Actually, when freedb.freedb.org is accessed it is supposed to automatically forward to the closest working server (mirror of the same database) to you. But for some reason this stopped working for a good 2 days (they were probally updating the freedb.freedb.org server hardware) so we decided to switch to the static us.freedb.org server. So when we switch it back to freedb.freedb.org it should automatically forward it to the closest working server.

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Pirk
Posting Freak

posted on 6-23-2003 at 06:53 AM Edit Post Reply With Quote
OK I understand,

However, the best would be if it was possible to switch oneself between the different hosts, just in case...
But like you say that is supposed to work automatically on freedb.freedb.org. Hopefully they don't update the hardware too often. :D

Thanks.

Pirk
Posting Freak

posted on 8-24-2003 at 10:48 AM Edit Post Reply With Quote
Audiosoft,

Have you decided to switch back to the freedb.freedb.org server in eJ v3.3?

Thanks.

Audiosoft
Super Administrator

posted on 8-24-2003 at 08:27 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
Yes, we will be switching back to freedb.freedb.org in v3.3. Thanks for reminding us.

However, I think all that will do is make the lookup a little faster for people that don't reside in the USA. I think the freedb.org music database itself is the exact same no matter what server is used. So I doubt it will be able to find any CDs that it couldn't find before.

Pirk
Posting Freak

posted on 8-24-2003 at 09:06 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
Ah? Really? :(
My problem is some CDs are not found by eJ CD Ripper -maybe only the french CDs, but I am not sure at all. I have just tried that once again with a recent french CD, and I have the message: "CD not found on the freedb.org database"- while they are found by Easy CDDA Extractor! And you are right, even if I switch it to us.freedb.org!
Until now I thought that was because eJ currently use us.freedb.org. But so, since that is not the case, where is the difference of the eJukebox CD Ripper in comparison to Easy CDDA Extractor???
Strange mystery, no? If you could clarify that... and fixe it!:D

Thank you very much.

Pirk
Posting Freak

posted on 8-25-2003 at 05:03 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
I have performed some tests to compare eJ CD Ripper lookups at us.freedb.org and Easy cdda Extractor at freedb.freedb.org.

The verdict:
Almost all my french CDs are also found on the us.freedb.org server. The difference is at the US server I always get English casefixing for my french albums. Too bad! While using the freedb.freedb.org server I always get the CORRECT casefixing according to whether
the CD is in English or in French!

So the freedb servers are not totally equivalent. For me it's interesting to use the freedb.freedb.org server. It seems it is more respectful of local languages.

It would be judicious if eJ could exploit the "intelligence" of freedb.freedb.org server...
That would be so easy to respect that with the eJ CD Ripper, since it is only necessary eJ DO NOTHING after the cddb lookups if it use the freedb.freedb.org server...

What you think?

Thanks.

Audiosoft
Super Administrator

posted on 8-25-2003 at 10:23 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
Allright...looks like their is no real way to detect non english words...so we have disabled casefixing for songs made by the Ripper in v3.3. The ripper will also use freedb.freedb.org in v3.3.

Pirk
Posting Freak

posted on 8-26-2003 at 12:23 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
Phew! Super!

Thank you very much for your continuous support and also for your comprehension concerning foreign languages...

You know, I think it is always possible to run with the hare and hunt with the hounds!

You are the best and eJukebox is great!

Thanks. :D

Pirk
Posting Freak

posted on 9-6-2003 at 07:13 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
Still some problems with the Ripper CDDB lookup in v3.3

I don't know why, but most of recent CDs are not found by the ripper CDDB lookup.

I notice, like you says, that has nothing to do with any CDDB server, even if freedb.freedb.org is better for foreign languages.
Thanks for that! And also for having disabled casefixing for ripped CDs. :)

I fear that the copy protection of recent CDs can cause lookup to fail, but I am not sure of this.

On the other hand I have noticed that each time a CD have an EXTRA TRACK which is not a song (images or video bonus...) then the ripper lookup fail, although it seems able to extract the tracks.
So I think that could be the key to the mystery!

But as nowadays almost all CDs have these bonus, many are not recognized during the ripper lookup... while they are well recognized using Easy CDDA Extractor.

If you could look into this...

Thanks.

Pirk
Posting Freak

posted on 9-10-2003 at 06:25 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
Quote:
Message original : Pirk
I have noticed that each time a CD have an EXTRA TRACK which is not a song (images or video bonus...) then the CDDB lookup FAIL.

Audiosoft,
Do you plan to look into this issue?

Thanks

Pirk
Posting Freak

posted on 9-11-2003 at 12:34 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
Hey! I am alone to have the CDDB lookup which fail for all the CDs with additional images or videos???

Or else, I am alone to try to use commonly the great eJukebox CD ripper... I hope no!

Thanks.

Demnos

posted on 9-11-2003 at 03:23 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
I don't think you are the only one using the eJukebox ripper, but most people who are "anal" about their CD extractions (like myself) use EAC and will continue to do so. There is no other ripper that even comes remotely closes to EAC in quality and functionality.

On the other hand: Don't forget that this nice new copy protection "feature" the record companies are giving us is much more common in Europe than in the US, so maybe that is the reason why not too many people in the forum are having those type of problems. Over here, almost every new release has this ridiculous "copy protection" (which of course, doesn't protect against copying at all), in the US it seems that the majority of releases are still "normal"
Pirk
Posting Freak

posted on 9-11-2003 at 07:49 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
OK, I don't cast doubt that EAC be a must!
I only still hope the eJukebox Ripper really fulfil its function, no more no less. I.e. a tool allowing to eJukebox to become THE independent audio solution.

Actually, I don't think anymore that the issue concern the protection of CDs. The eJukebox Ripper IS able to extract these CDs without any problem, even the most recent ones!

The thing concern the CDDB lookups for CDs containing something else than the audio tracks and the copy protection:
I have noticed that each time the lookup procedure fail -message "CD not found on freedb.org"- then the CDs concerned contain some video or band pictures. A lot of actual CDs: Europeans, but Americans as well...

I just want to report this bug to Audiosoft.

Thanks.

Pirk
Posting Freak

posted on 9-27-2003 at 09:36 AM Edit Post Reply With Quote
Audiosoft,

Any chance you look into the failing CDDB lookup for non-standard audio CDs?

Thanks.

Post new thread Poll:

Go To Top

Audiosoft Home | Download EJukebox for Windows | Register EJukebox
©2019 Audiosoft Network. All rights reserved.
[queries: 16]
HTML5 Color Picker for CSS Opacity
Short Url Service with Stats