Not logged in [Login - Register]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites   Post new thread Poll:
Author: Subject: PNG Support under IE6
Audiosoft
Super Administrator

posted on 8-22-2006 at 09:54 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
PNG Support under IE6

If you have IE6 installed (not IE7) I would really appreciate your help in determining if the artistlist will allow png image transparency.

Please download and extract the contents of the attached zip to C:\Program Files\eJukebox\images\ and then load or refresh the default skin from the Tools menu.

Note: You may want to first make a backup copy of C:\Program Files\eJukebox\images\artistlist.dis.

Let me know if there is a subtle highlight effect when you mouse over the artists in the artist list or no highlight. I only have IE7 here (which it works in) so can not test it under IE6 at this time. If the highlights work with IE6 installed that means that the artistlist does not need to use filters (which eat up tons of handle resources) but can instead use semitransparent pngs to create the same or better effects.

Attachment: ie6testpng.zip (4.07kb)
This file has been downloaded 965 times

:cool: Audiosoft
View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Pirk
Posting Freak

posted on 8-22-2006 at 10:17 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
Well, I have IE7 too, so I can't give you more informations..

The effect is very subtle indeed! But you are right, if the PNG transparency could avoid us to use filters in our skins that will be great! I'll test that in the songlist. :)

:cool: Pirk
Audiosoft
Super Administrator

posted on 8-22-2006 at 10:25 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
Quote:

The effect is very subtle indeed! But you are right, if the PNG transparency could avoid us to use filters in our skins that will be great! I'll test that in the songlist. :)

The amazing thing is the handle usage goes from 6000 to under 1000 on ejukebox.exe when the default skin is using pngs instead of filters! It also cuts the virtual memory usage by 100MB! I just hope someone comes along and can confirm if the highlight works or not with IE6 installed.

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Pirk
Posting Freak

posted on 8-22-2006 at 10:44 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
As I use to put a lot of filters in my skins projects - yes I do! -, I've noticed that's slow down too much the songlist display, so that will be interesting to try with PNG files.
I already use PNG files! But I don't know how to make them transparent?
I can see that your "arow.png" is transparent in Photoshop. How do you make that? Do you just save the .PSD as PNG??

Audiosoft
Super Administrator

posted on 8-22-2006 at 10:56 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
Quote:

I can see that your "arow.png" is transparent in Photoshop. How do you make that? Do you just save the .PSD as PNG??

Yes all you have to do is save it to a PNG. What I did first is adjust the layer opacity in photoshop to 75% so that the background color in eJukebox blends with the png image above it. It seems like the only way without filters to use background images for .artistrow .artistrow2 and get the highlight color to show up.

Pirk
Posting Freak

posted on 8-22-2006 at 11:00 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
Yeess that works! In the songlist at least.. :D
I think I will work like that now.. ;)

Pirk has attached this image:
test.png - 29.02kb

Audiosoft
Super Administrator

posted on 8-22-2006 at 11:32 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
Looks Great!
Just hope this will work with IE6 installed

Audiosoft
Super Administrator

posted on 8-23-2006 at 01:14 AM Edit Post Reply With Quote
Managed to test it and PNG's do not work in IE6. :(
I guess filters will still have to be used instead unless it is for an IE7 only skin.

I did find a work around for the artistlist where you use a gif for the row backgrounds and every other pixel is transparent. Not as good as a png but it works for the white/gray artistlist skin I am working on and replaces the filters and lowers the resource usage. Too bad I can't seem to make it look right with the default skin.

http://citrusmoon.typepad.com/citrusmoon/2005/04/make_your_own_s.html

Pirk
Posting Freak

posted on 8-23-2006 at 01:51 AM Edit Post Reply With Quote
I think in the near future everybody will have IE7! And if that is not the case, what will prevent IE6 users to upgrade their PC? Even if they use Firefox!

My next work: Try to remove all the filters in my Crimson skin, special IE7 version! And perhaps, using Photoshop, I will be more inspired than with css filters.. Sure, we should be less limited!

Post new thread Poll:

Go To Top

Audiosoft Home | Download EJukebox for Windows | Register EJukebox
©2019 Audiosoft Network. All rights reserved.
[queries: 16]
HTML5 Color Picker for CSS Opacity
Short Url Service with Stats