Audiosoft Forums Last active: Never
Not logged in [Login - Register]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites   Post new thread Poll:
Author: Subject: Strange Fonts Problem
Demnos

posted on 12-4-2005 at 03:44 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
Strange Fonts Problem

This is a bug I have noticed a long time ago but never reported as I don't have a keyboard and hence no hardcopy key, but now I took a photo.

Everytime I have freshly upgraded eJukebox to a new version, the kiosk arrows (up/down) are fine:

http://www.paul-baskerville.de/otherstuff/good.jpg

I can exit eJukebox and restart, and everything is still OK. BUT AS SOON AS I REBOOT THE SYSTEM, the arrows are replaced by strange boxes.

http://www.paul-baskerville.de/otherstuff/bad.jpg

The same is true for the LEFT/RIGHT arrows on "Top Artists". The only way to get the correct arrows back is to reinstall the same or another upgrade of eJukebox.

Any ideas? Using Windows 2000, US Version.
Fishy

posted on 12-4-2005 at 04:07 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
Weird, I have never seen this before myself. I am using Xp though, so it might be a Win2k related problem? Does it happen no matter which skin you are using?

By the way, funny to see Erlend Øye from Bergen in your list. I didn't know that his music was known outside the borders of Norway. You might want to check out Kings of Convenience as well. It's not as electronic oriented as Erlend solo, but it has a nice naive sound. Mostly acoustic gitars and vocals.

-----------
Fishy
View User's Profile Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member Fishy's ICQ status
Audiosoft
Super Administrator

posted on 12-4-2005 at 09:26 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
Looks like you may need to manually install the windings3 font.

:cool: Audiosoft
View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Demnos

posted on 12-5-2005 at 06:54 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
Quote:
Originally posted by Audiosoft
Looks like you may need to manually install the windings3 font.

That was it!!!! I had this font already, but as soon as I overwrote, the correct font images came back. Probably the original was corrupted. Thanks!!!!

@Fishy: Hope you didn't forget our U2U discussion on Norwegian music from last year (Bel Canto, Biosphere et al). So you know I always have a decent collection of music from Norway on my hard disk...

And Kings of Convenience...they are quite well known, I just listened to their current single in the afternoon programme of one of the major Berlin radio stations today. Like them very much! I guess they are already "Mainstream"...anything that isn't played only at obscure hours (2:00am - 4:00am) I consider to be "mainstream", sort of... :-)
Fishy

posted on 12-5-2005 at 11:48 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
Ah that's correct :)

Hmm.. seems like more norwegian music reach Germany than vica verca. At least when we take population sizes into account. Of course Rammstein, Kraftwerk, HIM and others are huge in Norway too, but still..

Might it be the language barrier? A lot of artist in Germany seem to use german lyrics. Most of german artist known to me either got english lyrics or no lyrics at all. I suspect that this goes for e.g. Holland, Belgium, France, Spain and Italy as well. The only artists I've heard of from France the latest years are Air and Daft Punk. And they are known everywhere :)
I know that there is a culture for dubbing english spoken films in these countries as well, might there be a connection here?

Or maybe this small, weird nation I happen to live in simply doesn't like music from the European continent. There is an overweight of scandinavian, british and american music in norwegian music stores. Same goes for movies as well :\ There are a lot of good stuff from Scandinavia, Britain and the US, but I am 100% sure that there are a lot of cool things going on at the european continent as well. And we never get to hear/see any of it. It's a shame.

Sorry for this long, off topic post. I just find this a little puzzeling :)

-----------
Fishy
View User's Profile Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member Fishy's ICQ status
Demnos

posted on 12-6-2005 at 10:49 AM Edit Post Reply With Quote
Quote:
Originally posted by Fishy
Ah that's correct :)

Of course Rammstein, Kraftwerk, HIM and others are huge in Norway too, but still..

That is really funny because HIM are not even from Germany, but from Finland ;-). But is is very interesting that they are mistaken for a German band, I guess their pompous goth rock behaviour seems to be somehow typical for German bands?

The other thing that is funny for me is to see that you talk about US, UK and *Scandinavian* bands vs. Norwegian bands, whereas from our perspective, Norwegian bands *are* scandinavian bands and we tend to lump them together with bands from Finland, Sweden, Iceland and even Denmark although I cannot really remember any famous Danish bands right now...The Raveonettes maybe *). And indeed, Scandinavian bands do have something in common. They are very melodic and regardless of their musical style, all have some kind of melancholic element in their music that has a strong appeal to German listeners, something that is for the most part absent in music from the USA (their music has other excellent qualities). I guess there are traces of long winter nights and northern lights present in Scandinavian music.

The most successful Norwegian band here (apart from A-Ha) is Kaizer's Orchestra, I would say.

I agree with you, most German bands that are really really successful *inside* Germany and sell tons of albums here do have German lyrics and are successful exactly because of that, i.e. they are musically not all that special. They are very good, but sound quite a bit like other current international bands.

Rammstein, Kraftwerk and other German bands that are/were successful internationally while using German lyrics had something very unique about them, a style that no other artist offered. Of course Kraftwerk also made english versions of many of their albums, but I understand that even internationally, people prefered the German versions!?!?

But you are right, apart from these special bands, all other German music that is successful internationally is either instrumental or using english lyrics (Things like Enigma, Scorpions etc come to mind)

Anybody who read this far is now rewarded with my personal recommendations:

Cool brandnew Norwegian music that is NOT mainstream (i.e. only played at 2:00am): Washington, Emmerhoff & The Melancholy Babies, Minor Minority, Hello Goodbye, Brimstone Solar Radiation Band.

*) Cool new Danish Bands that are worthwile checking out: Traening, Nephew, Lampshade
Fishy

posted on 12-7-2005 at 01:52 AM Edit Post Reply With Quote
I Would like to add Motorpsycho and Seigmen to your recommendations. Maybe Kåre and the Cavemen/Euroboys as well.

-----------
Fishy
Post new thread Poll:

Go To Top

Audiosoft Home | Download EJukebox for Windows | Register EJukebox
©2019 Audiosoft Network. All rights reserved.
[queries: 16]
HTML5 Color Picker for CSS Opacity
Short Url Service with Stats