Audiosoft Forums Last active: Never
Not logged in [Login - Register]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites   Post new thread Poll:
Author: Subject: wishfull dreaming .....
jojo

posted on 10-31-2005 at 11:06 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
wishfull dreaming .....

Hey Audiosoft,
have you ever thought of proting to Linux ??? It would seem that many folks that would dedicate a system to a jukebox would perhaps want to utilize older equipment on, something say Windows XP might not run well, but Linux revives.... have you ever thought of compiling for liinux ? It should be fairly simple if it's written in C or C++ I know, you probally wouldn't want to put it out open source, and you don't have to... there are plenty of Linux programs that are commercial software, with closed source. It's just a thought for you to ponder, or perhaps bring some linux guru online with that part of the project.

I mention this, because there is nothing even remotely close to EJ for linux, sure tehre are several players but nothing with quite the feel of EJ, nor the ease of use etc. If you consider it, you could always make it play to xmms, which should work pretty much the same as Winamp.
View User's Profile Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member This User Has MSN Messenger jojo's Yahoo
jhlurie

posted on 11-1-2005 at 03:30 AM Edit Post Reply With Quote
A good idea, but in truth the best versions of Linux are as almost resource intensive now as the Microsoft stuff. Sure, the kernel isn't, but a lot of other stuff gets piled on top with a typical configuration these days.

Going Linux DOES mean, almost definitely, going open source too. The very few straight commercial apps for Linux are only successful because they are very much on the high end. The low and middle ends don't really exist for commercial software.

A compromise might be to someday convert eJ to Java. If you take a look at products like Limewire and Azureus I think it goes a long way towards proving that very high functioning Java apps are possible, and they are pretty dang portable.
jhlurie

posted on 11-1-2005 at 12:17 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
Linux DOES have some pretty good players, by the way, even if they are a little less "Jukeboxey" than eJ. I've just discovered amaroK, for example, which is pretty darn slick, and in the past I've used rhythmbox. Both have some very serious limitations, but they aren't hopeless. And they are free, of course. :D
jojo

posted on 11-1-2005 at 06:12 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
Quote:
Originally posted by jhlurie
Linux DOES have some pretty good players, by the way, even if they are a little less "Jukeboxey" than eJ. I've just discovered amaroK, for example, which is pretty darn slick, and in the past I've used rhythmbox. Both have some very serious limitations, but they aren't hopeless. And they are free, of course. :D

Actually, I have been using Amarok on my Linux box as well. I love the ratings system, based on play and play time.

Yes, there are some good players, but that's just it, not so 'jukeboxy' which is what I really like about EJ.
View User's Profile Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member This User Has MSN Messenger jojo's Yahoo
Post new thread Poll:

Go To Top

Audiosoft Home | Download EJukebox for Windows | Register EJukebox
©2019 Audiosoft Network. All rights reserved.
[queries: 16]
HTML5 Color Picker for CSS Opacity
Short Url Service with Stats