Audiosoft Forums Last active: Never
Not logged in [Login - Register]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites   Post new thread Poll:
Author: Subject: HELP! Ejukebox for bar using thinclient+server
hannibal lector

posted on 10-18-2005 at 04:12 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
HELP! Ejukebox for bar using thinclient+server

wow exactly what I was looking for! I have questions though. One of my parents friends own a bar, and are unhappy with their "real" jukebox...terrible selection of music offered and people hate it. I'm doing other comp work for them as well and they specifically asked me for a "giant ipod people can use"

So I dug out some research and so far have decided on a thin client for the "console" part of the jukebox (probably not touchscreen, greesy fingers and all that!) Connected to a server in the back with maybe up to a TB of space on raid.

How would I implement this product using a system like that, I'm not REALLY informed on "thin clients" logistics but could probably wing it.

Any help much much apprieciated, and Ill probably post pics once its up n running too!
Pirk
Posting Freak

posted on 10-18-2005 at 04:50 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
Welcome hannibal lector!

I'm glad you appreciate eJukebox! You are right it is unique... :D

Sorry but I'm not experienced with networks...
I think you can install eJukebox on the "console" and build the eJukebox database from a network drive on the server where you will have all your mp3s stored.
I think you can connect your Jukebox client to your music server using the Windows network assistant. That seems quite easy.
I hope this help! ;)

:cool: Pirk
hannibal lector

posted on 10-18-2005 at 05:25 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
but the problem is the console cant be used to actually play the song...the server will be right beside the sound equipment and a special soundcard will be in it better suited to output to the system.
Pirk
Posting Freak

posted on 10-18-2005 at 05:56 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
Ah ok... So maybe you could install everything on the server: eJukebox, the music files and the soundcard. Then you can have eJukebox displayed on the console using a program like "PC Anywhere" (installed on the 2 PCs). It will give you a remote access to the server and eJukebox through the network. Easy! :)

Audiosoft
Super Administrator

posted on 10-18-2005 at 07:55 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
The simpliest way would be to install eJukebox on the backroom pc connected to the stereo and then use the eJukebox2Web browser interface to pick songs on the PC in the public room.

If you want the regular eJukebox interface on the public PC you can use an app like PCAnywhere like Pirk suggested or...
you can setup the public PC to run eJukebox and grab the mp3 files from a drive letter mapped to the backroom PC's drive...then if you need the sound to output from the backroom you could setup the public pc to stream its music via a shoutcast server on the network. Then just play that stream on the backroom PC (though the audio will be delayed slightly). Or you could buy some kind of wireless media extender hardware that could broadcast the audio from the public pc output and receive it in the backroom...or just run some stereo wire to the backroom.

:cool: Audiosoft
View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
CiXel

posted on 10-18-2005 at 07:55 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
Better Yet, you can use Microsoft's RDC (Remote Desktop Connection)

It requires WinXP Pro on the server end, but the front end can be any computer right down to anything able to run Win95 (So very low requirements) Sound can be brought locally, or can be left at the server side.

ANOTHER option
would be to run KaVoom, which is a Software KVM.
Just set the server side as the primary, and let your remote control that. That way the thin client is just controlling the server. You can even have many computers control the same server. Advantages include Both screens display identical images and can both be used at the same time to control the server, which is not the case with RDC. Other thing is that it's $30 for for two computers.
It requres WinXP on both computers however, but it will work with any flavor.
Since this is just KVM the sound would stay at the server side where you want it.

http://www.kavoom.biz/k/prod_overview.html

Obviously with either of these options the faster the connection you can provide between the two computer the better the performance (ie. 10/100/1000 ) It works really well over 100 and rocks over 1000 ;)
Pirk
Posting Freak

posted on 10-18-2005 at 08:34 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
Well guys, I have a question:

Is it possible to build a PC without any hard drive, I mean installing Windows on a 2 Gb flash card or a bootable usb stick ?
That would be very interesting to have a totally silent eJukebox! :)

CiXel

posted on 10-18-2005 at 08:54 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
Speaking of Slient EJ...
Whatever happened to those EJ computers?
There was a very sexy little silver one with a touchscreen on it that was supposed to be virtually silent?
Audiosoft
Super Administrator

posted on 10-18-2005 at 08:56 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
Pirk,

Krobar posted a while back about his diskless eJukebox PC using the network instead of an internal hard drive. I am sure a flash drive and a bunch of ram would also work.

Quote:

Krobar:
The solution I got for Diskless XP was alot easier to setup....but very pricey at 200Euros. The price for additrional clients is quite a bit lower. The software boots in about 10 seconds and performance in EJ 3.88 is superb (Dont wait for anything except first album list which takes about 5secs). The only limitations of the software are you must have a fixed IP and ACPI standby and hibernate are disabled. Just thought others who wish for an utterly silent Jukebox might wanna here about this.

It runs off the network. The software LanPC3 allows this, Qualystem who produce the software will offer the software in single licenses if asked.

:cool: Audiosoft
View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Pirk
Posting Freak

posted on 10-18-2005 at 09:06 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
Thanks Audiosoft, I'll dig the question! :)

Pirk
Posting Freak

posted on 10-18-2005 at 10:48 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
Qualystem, now Neoware: http://www.neoware.com/index.html , seems to be a French technology: The software company is based in Paris! :D
But I can't find anymore their previous software "LanPC3". :(

And concerning Windows XP on a flash drive, it's not won yet! At least for me... except if I buy one of their thin clients! :cool:

http://www.neoware.com/gif/product/downloads/e100_Left.jpg

http://www.neoware.com/thin-clients/e100.html

Or this one without any additional box:

http://www.neoware.com/gif/titles/products/e370-right.jpg

http://www.neoware.com/fr/thin-clients/e370.html

hannibal lector,

Maybe this could correspond to your needs? ;)

iwolfpadfoot

posted on 10-29-2005 at 05:48 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
i think and easyer way

if i recall you can have a remote setup on winamp never done it but i know you could have ejukebox controling winamp on another computer might take some changes to ejukebox ,but should work
CiXel

posted on 10-30-2005 at 05:33 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
Yeah I've played with that, it can get a little klugey. The two current ones out are:

NetSync for Winamp beta version 2
winamp netsync 0.3b

I used NetSync 1 for my old tests, and 2 looks like it could be an improvement. Maybe I'll give it a go and let you know how it works.
Post new thread Poll:

Go To Top

Audiosoft Home | Download EJukebox for Windows | Register EJukebox
©2019 Audiosoft Network. All rights reserved.
[queries: 16]
HTML5 Color Picker for CSS Opacity
Short Url Service with Stats