Audiosoft Forums Last active: Never
Not logged in [Login - Register]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites   Post new thread Poll:
Author: Subject: A few questions for the more experienced users
VWBUG

posted on 7-31-2005 at 09:27 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
A few questions for the more experienced users

Now I've got a few albums in the database it is really slow when I rebuild, or do anything for that matter. How do you guy's with over 30000 songs find it? I rebuilt the database a couple of days ago and it took hours with 20000 songs in it. Editing albums in EJ is unpractical, esspecially adding cover art.

Then around 20 album covers have dissappeared and I have to add them again.

Why is it that sometimes the cover is not shown in the now playing panel even though it is in the tag and is shown when you click to edit the tag in EJ?

I have an artist with three albums, in the album view his name appears with the three albums below it as it should, but above the artist name I also have the same artist name with no albums below it. How do I get rid of the extra name?

Thanks in advance

Made in Scotland
Fishy

posted on 7-31-2005 at 09:52 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
I have 30299 songs in my database now. It sure could be faster, but it is bearable. The only real problem I got with it, is that it takes ages to cache up the albumlist which results in ejukebox freezing up for a minute or more after the albumlist is loaded. Searching speed and speed of rebuilding, around 30 minutes for the latter, is fair enough. Concidering the huge amount of data ejukebox must handle.

Hours? Hmm What are the specs of your computer? To me it sounds like you have some corruption on your database file. Try to search the forums for "ejuke.asn" and download the "dummy file" located in a thread in here somewhere. Probably started by Junk og Pirk. Put this file in your ejukebox directory (overwrite the old one) and rebuild your database. What is the size of the your ejuke.asn file?

Those albums with missing images, are those in pure mp3 format?
Try to enter the albums, rightclick and choose "edit". Then beside the image is there a button named 'setimage4all'? If so push it :)

The Phantom artists you see sounds like a result of a corrupted database as mentioned above.

-----------
Fishy
View User's Profile Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member Fishy's ICQ status
VWBUG

posted on 8-4-2005 at 09:44 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
Hi Fishy,

PC Spec, is Athlon 1.2 GHz , 352MB RAM, XP Pro SP2. (not bad for nothing)

I have searched everywhere and cannot find any trace of ejuke.asn. I have one simply called db that shows up as a winamp file, could this be it? if so it is 1.08MB.

All my songs are in MP3 and I have set image for all of them and it shows up when I go in to edit. It just doesn't show them when the song is playing only the CD graphic..

Made in Scotland
Fishy

posted on 8-4-2005 at 10:15 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
Shalom! Hmm, ejukebox sure would benefit from a better cpu and more ram. I am still of the option that several hours are too much time to rebuild that database.

The definately mean the ejuke.asn file located in your ejukebox directory. Trust me, you have one ;). It's probably marked as 'hidden' so you have to make explorer show hidden files.
When you've find it, download the dummy asn file and replace it with the orginal. Don't care about the db file. Rebuild and see if things behave better.

Btw, how much space do you have available on your C:\ drive?

-----------
Fishy
View User's Profile Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member Fishy's ICQ status
VWBUG

posted on 8-4-2005 at 10:43 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
Yes it was hidden, thought I had checked that box. Anyway it is 582MB.

I have partitioned a 200GB drive and given C: 10GB (3.63GB Free).

Will try overwriting the file as suggested.

Too poor at the moment to upgrade Jukebox PC, It is a stand alone and was free so I will make do for now. Expecting second baby anyday now so resources elswhere. Oh and my VW Bug needs attention too.

Thanks

Made in Scotland
VWBUG

posted on 8-5-2005 at 08:08 AM Edit Post Reply With Quote
Left the database to update overnight, don't know how long it took, but to rebuild album list it took 50 minutes (1006 Albums) this morning, I now have lots of missing covers again (the same ones as always dissappear when I rebuild )and the duplicate artist is still there. The file size has halved but with no increase in performance.

I remaned the old ejuke.ans to ejuke.old rather than overwritting, would this make a difference? Too scared I lost all of my hard work, I thought that compilations may not be recognised again etc.

Made in Scotland
Pirk
Posting Freak

posted on 8-5-2005 at 08:37 AM Edit Post Reply With Quote
Hi VWBUG,

Unfortunately I think you trip on the major flaw of eJukebox... Certainly that many people desert at this stage. :(
Nevertheless eJukebox is fantastic once you have tamed the beast! :cool:

Good luck with your database. ;)

:cool: Pirk
Demnos

posted on 8-5-2005 at 10:08 AM Edit Post Reply With Quote
If you have an Athlon 1.2 GHz then that is not so bad at all. I am running on a Celeron 566 (which is still the highest-spec CPU that allows for very easy PASSIVE cooling without going to notebook / mobile components) so I can run my system completely fanless and therefore absolutely silent.

My collection is about the size of yours, I have 870 CDs in there with about 11000 songs.

While the performance is really not great and is the biggest source of frustration, it is nowhere near as bad as yours, so I think that you do have some other problem.

Rebuilding the entire database takes 1 1/2 hours on my system, but that is over a 802.11b network. If I connect my MP3 disk via USB 1.1 directly, it takes around 45 minutes. I have no USB 2.0 nor 802.11a/g.

Once eJukebox is up and running and I click on ALBUMS (or if I hit "refresh album list"), it takes about 6 minutes to display all albums (first it hangs for 30 seconds, then 4-5 minutes building the list, then 1 minute until I get control back). If I close the album list and re-open it (without refreshing), it takes about 1 minute or so.

Yes, it is all very slow but at least once the album list is fully loaded (and unless somebody closes it by accident), the system becomes manageable and is within acceptable limits.
Fishy

posted on 8-5-2005 at 03:43 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
Pirk: Is this a known bug?! I have not experienced this yet. All I do is set the tags and covers in tag & rename, and import them to ejukebox. After that they work as they should.

Demnos: 566 mhz? That's brave, but I understand that you want to avoid fan noises. I ran ejukebox on a system equalient to the one Vwbug uses now and found it way to slow after a while. Hehe, you guys got my blessing :D

-----------
Fishy
Pirk
Posting Freak

posted on 8-5-2005 at 04:31 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
Hi Fishy,

As you probably know, for the non-mp3 files, all the tags and covers you edit using the eJukebox editor will be lost if you crash your database! :(
I think that -like me- maybe VWBUG is in this case (?), and maybe this is the reason he have some stranges or missing albums and artist names in his albumlist. He can still fix them with the eJ editor, but it's only saved in the database: Not secure at all!

So, as much as your music collection is all in mp3, no problem... But otherwise it's the mess, guaranted!

VWBUG, your "problematic" albums are in mp3 or not?

Fishy

posted on 8-5-2005 at 05:11 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
"All my songs are in MP3 and I have set image for all of them and it shows up when I go in to edit. It just doesn't show them when the song is playing only the CD graphic.."

:) Hmm.. wonder why this happens for him. I sucpected a broken database (ejuke.asn), but that does not seem to be the case after all?

VWbug: You downloaded the dummy ejuke.asn from the forums and replaced it with the original right? Then did a rebuild. There is no problem having a backup of it in the same directory by the way. Hmm, strange that it didn't work.

-----------
Fishy
Pirk
Posting Freak

posted on 8-5-2005 at 06:39 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
:D Ah ah... OK Fishy! I'm sorry, I was completly wrong. :(
So that must be a different problem! Even if nevertheless what I said is a real problem too...

Well, I change my approach. I suspect that VWBUG has a problem with the images he puts in his mp3 files:
- Maybe some of his images are too large? Or not in jpeg format, partially corrupted or not standard?
- Maybe this is the tag area which is corrupted in some mp3s? But it's not easy to detect!

I would try to change the images themselves in the tags, trying another origin...

And in a last resort, I would rip again the problematic albums, if possible!

:)

VWBUG

posted on 8-5-2005 at 07:39 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
It may be the format of the pictures, an example of one of them is Contraband, Velvet Revolver, Jpg, 300 x 267, 14.6kb.

I havn't renamed any of my covers to cover.jpg

I added all of these images using EJukebox editor and setimage4all. Could try another source I suppose but I don't see it making any difference.

I was using a trial of Tagm3u which tagged the covers perfectly for EJ but it has expired and I chose MP3TAG instead as it seached for the album details. Don't want to fork out for another tagging program.

Made in Scotland
Fishy

posted on 8-5-2005 at 08:18 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
hmm I am using all kind of weird dimensions on my images as well without problems. I know some tag editors doesn't work very well with ej (for reasons I don't want to know).

I would try to run one or two of those albums through a program named tag & rename, which I know is 100% compatible with ejukebox (just press f10 from within tag & rename and it pulls everything off the net). If you then can rebuild and the images are still there we have a sollution.Rebuild by just using the two albums you ran through tag & rename so you don't have to wait for hours :)

-----------
Fishy
Pirk
Posting Freak

posted on 8-5-2005 at 08:18 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
Another thing, concerning the albums having 2, 3 or more CDs with one cover image. Ejukebox detects some specific words like "CD x" or "Disc x" in addition to the album names in tags. E.g:
Sheep songs CD1
Sheep songs CD2
Sheep songs CD3

;)

Fishy

posted on 8-5-2005 at 08:20 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
Baaaaeee :D Not to forget the classic albums "The very best of Sheep" and "The sounds from the lamb"

-----------
Fishy
Pirk
Posting Freak

posted on 8-5-2005 at 08:26 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
and for you Fishy: "My favorites fishing songs" or "The frozen songs" :D

Pirk
Posting Freak

posted on 8-5-2005 at 08:37 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
I agree with Fishy, Tag&Rename is a good program you can use with eJukebox. And not inevitably very expensive, in fact... if you see my idea! :D

I hope you'll solve your problem easily, VWBUG ;)

VWBUG

posted on 8-5-2005 at 09:04 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
I have solved the artist who's name was appearing twice. On the greatest hits album the artist name was input followed by : then greatest hits for one of the discs.

Album title was shown as

artist name: greatest hits (CD1)

Lokking at tag and rename just now, prefer MP3Tag so far (If only It Worked properly with EJ);)

Made in Scotland
Pirk
Posting Freak

posted on 8-5-2005 at 09:07 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
Quote:
Message original : VWBUG
I havn't renamed any of my covers to cover.jpg

That could be a possible solution for your problem... If you have 1 album = 1 folder, you just need to put a cover.jpg file in each folder.
Easy! :cool:

Pirk
Posting Freak

posted on 8-5-2005 at 09:15 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
Quote:
Message original : VWBUG
I have solved the artist who's name was appearing twice. On the greatest hits album the artist name was input followed by : then greatest hits for one of the discs.

Album title was shown as

artist name: greatest hits (CD1)

Good! :)

I think you would really need to check very carefully all the tags of the "suspect" albums which appear wrong in eJ changing some names eventually... And after you completed that, you can build a new database.

eJukebox is a bit capricious! :D

VWBUG

posted on 8-5-2005 at 09:39 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
I try and check each one as I add them, but I was adding 40 albums at a time and this one must have slipped through the net. (sorry Fishy, no Pun intended):D

I will rename the covers in the problematic albums to cover.jpg and see if that resolves the problem.

Made in Scotland
Post new thread Poll:

Go To Top

Audiosoft Home | Download EJukebox for Windows | Register EJukebox
©2019 Audiosoft Network. All rights reserved.
[queries: 16]
HTML5 Color Picker for CSS Opacity
Short Url Service with Stats