Audiosoft Forums Last active: Never
Not logged in [Login - Register]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites   Post new thread Poll:
Author: Subject: Which file do I save (if I can) ? ?
Montana

posted on 7-28-2005 at 11:34 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
Which file do I save (if I can) ? ?

I have had several instances where I have needed to re-install EJ (don't ask), and every time I do I need to re-arrange the file names of tracks and albums etc etc etc.
I am now getting near to 500 (not many by others standards, but still a hell of a lot to amend) to alter.
This leads to the question above, is there a file that I can save that will remeber all my alterations so I don't have to amend the names if I have to re-install again ?

Andy
Pirk
Posting Freak

posted on 7-29-2005 at 07:14 AM Edit Post Reply With Quote
You need to save (and replace) the eJukebox database file:
C:\Program files\eJukebox\ejuke.asn

NB: This is a hidden file...

:cool: Pirk
Montana

posted on 7-29-2005 at 10:36 AM Edit Post Reply With Quote
Thanks very much Pirk.

Does this mean that if I have to re-install EJ again all I have to do is replace this file with the existing one ? E.G When I have done all the track name sorting I should save this file somewhere safe, then when I re-install I should replace this file with the one that is there when it is installed.

Andy
Pirk
Posting Freak

posted on 7-29-2005 at 12:54 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
Oh sorry Montana, I forget a file: you also need to save and replace the file "db.m3u".

So that should work if you replace these two files with the existing ones, providing you don't change the location of your music files (or you replace your music to the same location than before).
You also have the user settings in the file "ejukebox.ini", so you can save it too if you want. Personally I use to backup the whole directory of eJukebox in addition to all my music files... I would advise you to do the same!

But be carrefull: If ever you FORMAT your hard drive (or if you reinstall Windows) you will need a new serial from Audiosoft! Because the previous one will not work anymore...

Montana

posted on 7-29-2005 at 01:30 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
Thanks again Pirk.

When you say that you save the directory, do you mean the ENTIRE directory including all files and folders that are therein ?

Andy
Pirk
Posting Freak

posted on 7-29-2005 at 03:48 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
Yes, the entire eJukebox directory with all files and folders.
I agree this is a crude method, but at least I don't forget anything! E.G: The skins I've personalized a bit...

However, only the 2 files "ejuke.asn" and "db.m3u" are critical if a part of your music collection is not in the mp3 format. Because currently eJukebox only save the tags into the mp3 files. That's probably why you lose some of your artists and album names when you reinstall eJukebox...

Montana

posted on 7-29-2005 at 05:06 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
Now I know why all my data gets lost, it's because all my music that I play through EJ is in .ape format.The reason I use this format is because I use it through my home cinema at home and love the fact that .ape files are lossless.

Andy
Pirk
Posting Freak

posted on 7-29-2005 at 06:55 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
Ah OK...

Perhaps Audiosoft will add tags support for non-mp3 files soon, but as there are so much different file formats... So that was planned to add a separate text file containing the tags with each album, but I don't know if it's still topical or not ?

Fishy

posted on 7-29-2005 at 08:13 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
:cool: Probably would save audiosoft for a lot of headache while browsing the forums. Many users are requesting better support for lossless formats. I have run a mp3 only policy ever since I started to use ej fulltime. But this policy is probably not the optimal sollution. The direction of the future seems to be lossless formats like ape. The problem right now is limitations on harddrive capacity, but as we know the capacity is growing and prices are diving.

-----------
Fishy
View User's Profile Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member Fishy's ICQ status
Pirk
Posting Freak

posted on 7-29-2005 at 09:26 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
I agree concerning the lossless formats. Of course the mp3 format is not the panacea, BUT...

...The worst is these guys who transcribe all their (downloaded) music files in a different format, thinking their favorite compressed format is the best: it saves a lot of space for a better quality!
After that they share again these new files... and of course there is still a new go-go who will do the same thing again in another no less "great" format! As result, at the end: A horrible artefact soup for everyone... Burk! :mad:
So please, keep your files as you get them! and just use a good dsp sound plug-in!

Montana

posted on 7-29-2005 at 11:19 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
The main reason I opted this particular format was for lossless quality and the fact that when you transfer the original to this format is that it is a smaller file size.
This leads me on to HD space,when HD's get larger(which they will do and continually do) and cheaper, I can transfer the files I have to another HD and still not have any loss in quality.
When you have a semi decent home cinema setup you can REALLY hear the difference.For example I downloaded Eminem's "lose yourself" with a bit rate of 56kbps at 24 hz, whereas with AC/DC's "Back in Black" in ape format , I am getting a bit rate of between 700 to 1000 kbps at 44hz and this is just one example.So I thought I would do a blind test with one of my wife and I's favorite tracks.I already had Bon Jovi's "Wanted Dead Or Alive" in ape format, so I put the same track throgh itunes at the same rate as the mentioned Eminem track.Next I played both tracks to her and it took less than 15 seconds for her to pick the better quality one.
To prove to myself this wasn't a fluke I re-did this test with three other tracks , and again she picked each one with ease.All of this may seem a little over the top for some, but it's what we perfer to listen to at home.

Andy
Pirk
Posting Freak

posted on 7-30-2005 at 07:45 AM Edit Post Reply With Quote
OK you are right, of course I agree that lossless formats like ape are very good and better than mp3s!

I just want to underline that it is true ONLY IF you create them from a uncompressed format like the original CD, or of course if you download them directly in this lossless format. Although, when it's downloaded you can't be sure of what you get!
The trap is if ever, because the format is better than the others, someone decide to converte all his music collection to this lossless format from downloaded sources which are already compressed in another format! And if after that he share again the new files: He will spread music in a good format, but a no less damaged sound...

Montana

posted on 7-30-2005 at 12:03 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
The majority of my EJ collection is from the original CD's, as I recall I think I have only 18 tracks that are downloaded, 16 are in ape format and 2 in mp3.
The reason I have downloaded any tracks at all is because I don't want the entire album just one or two tracks from it.At the moment I can only find THIS website that offers lossless formats on their tracks, and unfortunately not enough tracks for my liking.I am always open to more suggestions though.

Andy
Pirk
Posting Freak

posted on 7-30-2005 at 04:18 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
Well :D, most of my music come from my friends (most french but not only ;)) using some PRIVATE exchange ways. But I can say they are more worried by the artistic quality of what they offer than the format itself! Most of the time it's still mp3s...

Fishy

posted on 7-31-2005 at 02:33 AM Edit Post Reply With Quote
How is that? :D Btw my portal is open again Pirk , with more muscles and bandwith than before :)

-----------
Fishy
View User's Profile Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member Fishy's ICQ status
Pirk
Posting Freak

posted on 7-31-2005 at 09:08 AM Edit Post Reply With Quote
You are still so kind Fishy! Mine will be open too when I will come... :D But it's still a lot of french songs and rock accordion, it's so good! :)

Post new thread Poll:

Go To Top

Audiosoft Home | Download EJukebox for Windows | Register EJukebox
©2019 Audiosoft Network. All rights reserved.
[queries: 16]
HTML5 Color Picker for CSS Opacity
Short Url Service with Stats