Audiosoft Forums Last active: Never
Not logged in [Login - Register]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites   Post new thread Poll:
Author: Subject: New PC for Ejuke: What OS to install?
pmilnes

posted on 12-5-2004 at 01:35 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
New PC for Ejuke: What OS to install?

Hello,

I am buying a new (used) PC to run eJukebox on. I am CURRENTLY running it on a PII, Windows 98, 256MB RAM, 4gb hard drive (pulls songs through the network)

I just purchased a touch screen monitor, and am going to buy a new (used) PC to dedicate to this program. With the current machine, the program runs VERY slowly - I have to disable all animation, and it takes several seconds to respond to requets like artist lookup, etc.

So I am planning on picking up a new PC - I was thinking of a PIII, 550MHz, 512MB RAM (or so) 10gb HD... and I have two questions:

1. What OS should I run on the new PC? I have both Win98 and XP available.

2. Does the system that I plan on getting have the resources to run this program ONLY (and spyware programs)- or will I be wanting to upgrade in another year or so...

Thanks!!

Paul
Fishy

posted on 12-6-2004 at 01:34 AM Edit Post Reply With Quote
Quote:
Originally posted by pmilnes

I am buying a new (used) PC to run eJukebox on. I am CURRENTLY running it on a PII, Windows 98, 256MB RAM, 4gb hard drive (pulls songs through the network)

Sounds like you will appreciate a transition ;)

Quote:

1. What OS should I run on the new PC? I have both Win98 and XP available.

I would go for Xp or Windows 2000. The ej database will actually use less ram with these systems, due to smarter memory handling somehow. In general I think 512 mb is recommended for Xp, but if you're going to use this computer for ej only, I would give it a go. You can always add more ram later on :)

Quote:

2. Does the system that I plan on getting have the resources to run this program ONLY (and spyware programs)- or will I be wanting to upgrade in another year or so...

I think the cpu and ram will give you fairly good results with ej. As mentioned adding 256 mb more can give further performance increases. 10 gb harddrive sounds a little to small for me, but it depends on how big your collection will grow and the bitrate of the music in your collection. Harddrives are pretty cheap nowadays anyhow, so getting a larger one when needed isn't a problem.

Concidering the pace the computer industry moves in these days, you would probably like to upgrade in a year or so not matter how powerful your current computer will become :)

I hope this helps!

-----------
Fishy
View User's Profile Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member Fishy's ICQ status
Post new thread Poll:

Go To Top

Audiosoft Home | Download EJukebox for Windows | Register EJukebox
©2019 Audiosoft Network. All rights reserved.
[queries: 16]
HTML5 Color Picker for CSS Opacity
Short Url Service with Stats