Audiosoft Forums Last active: Never
Not logged in [Login - Register]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites   Post new thread Poll:
Author: Subject: What on earth is EJ up to!!
guddler

shocked.gif posted on 11-30-2004 at 04:26 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
What on earth is EJ up to!!

I have no idea what's going on here, but the simple point is, why on earth does EJ have to try to be so dang clever!!!

Only last week i noticed that a lot of my tracks were listed against the wrong albums. This was particularly true of compilations, although by no means limited to them.

For instance a Gary Numan anthology album (NOT a compilation album, just a best of all by the same artist) had a lot of the tracks appearing as though i had the individual albums, which i don't.

SO, i corrected all instances of it. I've just started EJ up for the first time this week to find that a lot of them are back again. For instance, the compilation "Dark Side Of The 80's" shows 3 tracks against disc 1, 22 against disc 2. There should really be 19 against each, No idea yet where the missing 13 have gone!

My question really is quite simple. Why on EARTH can't EJ just stop trying to think for itself????

If i've told it exactly what all the tracks on an album are and what album they belong to, why can't it just beleive me, stop trying to think for itself and leave the dang things alone??

Yes, i'm getting a bit irate with this. 9 times out of 10, software that tries to be smart software ends up getting it all wrong and being dumb software and this is a prime case. I'm that close (/me shows a very small gap) away from throwing this in the bin and writing off the money i spent on it, so i really hope someone at Audiosoft is listening.

Don't try to be so smart....

Martin.
PS: That goes for this forum too. If i want to say d a m n then i will, it's not swearing you know! Leave it alone and don't turn it into dang. I'm not from the US so i don't talk like someone that does :)
Spazz

posted on 11-30-2004 at 09:04 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
Turn off auto album art lookup. That'll stop it from screwing with your tags and stuff.

http://area51.gerpok.com/song/spazz.png
guddler

posted on 12-1-2004 at 12:22 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
Okay, while i'm not too sure what album art has to do with which songs are in which albums, i'll try anything to stop this behaviour so i'll give it a go now...

Thanks.
guddler

posted on 12-2-2004 at 08:37 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
EJ doesn't seem to have had a repeat performance of what it did before, which is very good news!

Now if only someone would kick it's memory usage into touch then it would be almost perfect.

Running it on a system with XP Pro and 128mb of memory is no fun, but it's all i have. The minute you fire EJ up it's all gone!

Martin.
Fishy

posted on 12-3-2004 at 04:27 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
hmm... sounds Fishy. Mine doesn't take more than 2 mb when loaded with the albumlist.. How big is your ejuke.asn file?

(ps. Am I the only one that got an avatar these days?) ;)

-----------
Fishy
View User's Profile Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member Fishy's ICQ status
guddler

posted on 12-3-2004 at 05:14 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
2 mb??? What are you using to take that reading?

Okay, lets take an example. I've been listening to EJ all afternoon while i've been working but haven't strayed from the Home page on the interface as i listen to it from a shoutcast stream via winamp on my work laptop.

Sure, in task manager there is only 2,004k assigned to EJ, and that jumps up and down, as low as about 1,250k and as high as just under 4,000k.

However, if i look at the commit charge my machine tells me there is 151,748k committed. Just after EJ startup this is normally approximately 115,000k. So that's (very, very roughly) about 36mb that isn't assigned to other things so i assume must be assigned to EJ or any threads that it owns?

Let's browse the album page (which is a known memory hog)...

Okay, EJ memory usage is now jumping about between 4,000k and 8 or 9,000k and the commit charge is remaining pretty static at approx 170,000k. Still not so bad i guess, but by now i'm well over the physical memory of 128,000. Things are still coping well though.

Right, now the other day when i was editing the albums (as per the original thread) the commit charge went soaring to well over 350,000k. I didn't think to look what the actual memory usage said it was against the EJ program...

Problem is, it doesn't give this back until you shut EJukebox so when you get up to those kind of figures things really do start to get sluggish.

In fairness, this may not be EJ itself, it could be windows. Those figures are pretty alarming though, i'm a programmer and i simply wouldn't dream of consuming that much resourse unless i knew i was aiming for a target plaform with several gigabytes of memory.

If this thing is written using .net then that is probably why. It doesn't give any memory back intil IT feels like it needs to (garbage collection).

Dunno, maybe it's windows, who knows. I do know that when i put this PC on my workbench where it really needs to be then it's going to need to be driving an eprom burner and sometimes some cpu troubleshooting hardware from the early 80's as well as viewing PDFs and possibly runing mame in debug mode so there's little chance of me being able to listen to stuff with EJ while it's doing it :(

My ejuke.asn file is just under 14mb. I have 253 albums (apparently - it felt like MANY more when i was ripping the CD's :) )

Don't know if any of this sheds any light for anyone. As i say, the machines coping, but only just!

Martin.
Spazz

posted on 12-3-2004 at 10:32 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
My advice would be to buy more ram. WinXP eats it like candy. I wouldn't run it with less than 512 megs. :P

http://area51.gerpok.com/song/spazz.png
guddler

posted on 12-4-2004 at 12:54 AM Edit Post Reply With Quote
That would be my advice too! Sadly this PIII mobo can't take anymore in the combination that i'm throwing at it and at the mo i can't afford to junk a perfectly usable PC.

To be honest i think there may be a fault on the bios.

Oh well :)
Fishy

posted on 12-4-2004 at 02:46 AM Edit Post Reply With Quote
Being poor is expensive these days.. Looking forward to better times.. Merry pre-christmas to the ejukebox family, thanks for kicking ass .. :D

-----------
Fishy
View User's Profile Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member Fishy's ICQ status
Post new thread Poll:

Go To Top

Audiosoft Home | Download EJukebox for Windows | Register EJukebox
©2019 Audiosoft Network. All rights reserved.
[queries: 16]
HTML5 Color Picker for CSS Opacity
Short Url Service with Stats