Audiosoft Forums Last active: Never
Not logged in [Login - Register]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites   Post new thread Poll:
Author: Subject: My eJukebox audiomachine...
Demnos

posted on 3-12-2003 at 10:38 AM Edit Post Reply With Quote
My eJukebox audiomachine...

It's the same old picture I posted here months ago, but now that this subject has its own forum section, I think I may post it again...

- very small "thin-client" type of PC, Celeron 566, 256 MB RAM, Win2K Pro
- completely fanless, cooled only by a heatpipe and aluminum chassis
- external power supply
- ultra-silent 10GB Fujitsu 2.5" Disk of the Hornet Series (Fluid Drive Bearing), the quietest drive on the market
- due to the PC being 100% closed, there is absolutely no noise at all - none whatsoever!
- 12.1" TFT touchscreen
- Connected via a USB Wireless LAN 802.11b at 11mbps to my main PC and MP3 Server in another room.
- UPDATE: now no longer connects to a PC, but to a Linksys NAS (network attached storage), a small box with an external USB disk, located noise-free inside a filing cabinet in another room. Now I can listen to music even when the main PC is switched off.
- output via a USB external S/PDIF digital soundcard (Sonica by M-Audio) to a standalone D/A converter for highest sound quality.

Demnos has attached this image:
Audiostation.jpg - 38.98kb
jacoblo33

posted on 3-12-2003 at 02:31 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
looks great

around how much did the whole thing cost you?
View User's Profile View All Posts By User U2U Member This User Has MSN Messenger
Demnos

posted on 3-12-2003 at 09:34 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
Me? Ahem...well...I am really really lucky - the only actual money I spent on this rig was about $50 for the M-Audio Sonica.

That's because the company I work for actually manufactures these machines (they are sold as Point Of Sale terminals) and I managed to get a demo machine that came back from a trade show. The real price would have been at least something like $1500 - $1800 for a ready-to-roll machine.

If you are building something like this yourself from special PC components you could probably do it for something like $1300 would be my guess.
Dyno Don

posted on 3-12-2003 at 09:42 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
Demnos,

Do you actually stream the mp3s wirelessly? I have problems doing that. Got to keep 'em local.

Don
jacoblo33

posted on 3-12-2003 at 10:34 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
Looking around for a touchscreen, but they are expensive as hell...

looks great anyhow
View User's Profile View All Posts By User U2U Member This User Has MSN Messenger
stsirois

posted on 3-13-2003 at 08:12 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
Quote:
Originally posted by Dyno Don
Demnos,

Do you actually stream the mp3s wirelessly? I have problems doing that. Got to keep 'em local.

Don

Hi Demnos,

At first I had some problems streaming my MP3s over a 802.11b connection. I cleared up about 95% of my problems after fiddling with the buffer settings within Winamp. I'm upgrading to a 802.11g (up to 54mbps!) setup in the next couple of weeks, so that should pretty much get rid of any buffering problems.

Steve
Demnos

posted on 3-13-2003 at 09:00 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
Well, believe it or not, I was running this for 6 months on my old 2MBit Wireless and only recently switched to 11MBit. With 2Mbit, the databse building was painlessly slow, but for playback it worked flawlessly.

Actually, in the beginning I also had lots of problems with glitches and droputs, but they all went away the second I added the Sqrsoft X-Fading Plugin to Winamp. This X-Fading plugin actually does all of the buffering etc and apparently can do this much better than the normal Winamp Output module.

On the network side I did nothing special, it is just a Shared directory on a W2K PC that I read the MP3s from.
Dyno Don

posted on 3-14-2003 at 10:11 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
I used to have the 2 mbit Proxim setup. Thought it was great till 11b. Sure there is plenty of bandwidth to handle any encoding rate, but I am plagued with hiccups when playing remotely. No way to wire the garage (gameroom) so using 11b. I used remote desktop to manage the player and mp3s. (I am constantly changing things). It is nice to sit with a laptop and run the jukebox wirelessly in the garage, editing, deleting, etc., but it has the same hiccups. I think the machine that holds the files gets busy every 10- 15 seconds and intterupts the stream. Hadn't thought about the buffer. That square soft X fader is great. Everyone is impressed. Constant stream of music.

Don
Post new thread Poll:

Go To Top

Audiosoft Home | Download EJukebox for Windows | Register EJukebox
©2019 Audiosoft Network. All rights reserved.
[queries: 16]
HTML5 Color Picker for CSS Opacity
Short Url Service with Stats