Audiosoft Forums Last active: Never
Not logged in [Login - Register]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites   Post new thread Poll:
Author: Subject: newuser very confused
veryconfused

posted on 6-22-2004 at 09:57 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
newuser very confused

I have downloaded the software and tried to input the files (wma) from My Music folder. Winamp finds the files ok and finds all of the tag information but jukebox puts every track either under artist "1" or artist "0" and says it finds no albums. Why is there no help files or contact information for this software
Spazz

posted on 6-22-2004 at 10:42 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
Behold the power of search!

:o

http://www.audiosoft.net/forums/viewthread.php?tid=843

http://area51.gerpok.com/song/spazz.png
Fishy

posted on 6-22-2004 at 10:58 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
And behold the power of proper format support..

I hate to say this, but the commercial advantages gained from supporting wma seems more and more obvious. Even if the format itself is concidered a bad one. Are there any concrete plans for this audiosoft?

Is it not possible to just read the tag information directly from the WMA input plugin in Winamp somehow?

I'd hate to see ejukebox suffer, just because Microsoft has made a terrible sound format that way too many tend to use..

-----------
Fishy
View User's Profile Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member Fishy's ICQ status
jhlurie

posted on 6-23-2004 at 05:14 AM Edit Post Reply With Quote
What's even worse, is that the stock advice for resolving the old versions of files you move is to recreate the database---thus losing all the customizations you make for .WMA , .M4A and .OGG files. It's beyond annoying, as my investment in other file formats grows with time.
Audiosoft
Super Administrator

posted on 6-23-2004 at 08:16 AM Edit Post Reply With Quote
Does anyone else find it annoying that all these new music formats elected not to use the perfectly good ID3v2 tag format but to instead invent a new tag format for each file type with some offering the ability to store album cover images and some not. I guess it doesn't really matter to you unless you are a programmer.

Anyways, right now we are trying to add OGG tag Reading support. Hopefully eJukebox will eventually be able to read and write to all the different formats....we are working on it.

:cool: Audiosoft
View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
jhlurie

posted on 6-23-2004 at 08:34 AM Edit Post Reply With Quote
.OGG is definitely the forward looking choice, I think, although .M4A may grow.

As for as the ID3v2 format question... I wonder if these various people were under some bizarre impression they could improve it? At least some of them (Microsoft) were deluded enough to think, even briefly, they could outright replace MP3 I suppose, and it wouldn't matter.

Also, I wonder if these different projects--even if open source--feared people would think they were copying each other or not being "forward looking" if they didn't come up with some all new crappy tag format. Either that, or someone wanted to develop a cottage industry for software makers with Tag-control programs. :)

It's even more of a bear on portable music players, I bet. You not only have to write code for your player to decode the music, you have to write new code to read the tags. Great, when you only have a little bit of memory in those things devoted to the software, as opposed to caching the music...
junk

posted on 6-23-2004 at 01:28 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
The mpc format must be one of the few non-mp3 formats that uses id3v2 tags. eJukebox supports reading the tags, even the images from the files. If this is the case, that it is id3v2 compliant, then eJ could save to the tags just as easy as mp3's, yet it doesn't save to them at all. Perhaps this is easy to fix?
View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member junk's ICQ status This User Has MSN Messenger junk's Yahoo
Audiosoft
Super Administrator

posted on 6-23-2004 at 06:08 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
RE: then eJ could save to the MPC tags just as easy as mp3's, yet it doesn't save to them at all. Perhaps this is easy to fix

Yes, very easy....we have updated it so eJukebox v3.85 and up will save data to mpc id3 tags.

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
junk

posted on 6-23-2004 at 06:59 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
Hehe, most excellent :) Thanks for taking action so quickly.
View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member junk's ICQ status This User Has MSN Messenger junk's Yahoo
Fishy

posted on 6-23-2004 at 08:52 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
That is really good news! Looking forward to also get my mpc's into the popularity count also after rebuilds :)

-----------
Fishy
View User's Profile Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member Fishy's ICQ status
Audiosoft
Super Administrator

posted on 6-23-2004 at 09:35 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
Here is a review of the different codecs and how they compare: http://www.recordstorereview.com/misc/aacmp3.shtml

CONCLUSION

The only standout format appears to be good old MP3, albeit with the most advanced LAME encoding and Variable Bit Rate. It seems to offer a tangible improvement over the other formats if you want to use ~192 kbps encoding.

*Note: If you use eJukebox's CD ripper and turn on Variable Bit Rate and check Studio Quality you can get the above as eJukebox uses LAME. It might not encode as fast as OGG or AAC but should sound better.

As for file size, the same bit rate in different formats yields about the same file size because it's x bits per second. 128 kbps MP3 will be the same size as 128 kbps AAC for example because it has the same number of bits in the same number of seconds.

Post new thread Poll:

Go To Top

Audiosoft Home | Download EJukebox for Windows | Register EJukebox
©2019 Audiosoft Network. All rights reserved.
[queries: 16]
HTML5 Color Picker for CSS Opacity
Short Url Service with Stats