Audiosoft Forums Last active: Never
Not logged in [Login - Register]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites   Post new thread Poll:
Author: Subject: Startup without logon?
guddler

posted on 6-15-2004 at 02:01 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
Startup without logon?

On a slightly more positive note to my other thread, i nearly have this thing working in the way i want (ie, mimicking GJukebox on linux).

Now then, i have it set up so that the EJ pc runs the shoutcast plugin through winamp and the vast majority of the time i will be wanting to just listen to the tracks remotely from (say) my laptop while i'm working, so i'd like to get the streaming / EJ working without having to physically go to the EJ pc and log the user on.

At the moment, the EJ pc will just sit in my garage without a monitor being a jukebox for my gamesroom. In the end i'll use it for other stuff when i can afford yet another flat panel monitor, but for now, all i really want to have to do on that PC is to switch it on, then walk away from it.

Is there a way to acheive this? Running EJ as a service perhaps?

Ta,
Martin.
Audiosoft
Super Administrator

posted on 6-15-2004 at 10:59 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
To have eJukebox start with windows add a shortcut to C:\program files\eJukebox\ejukebox.exe in the Startup folder on the start menu. There should be a way to get windows to start without needing to login... Search google for instructions on how to do this for your particular version of windows.

If you are unable to get the stream to start automatically using this plugin or some other one...you have a problem since the PC does not have a monitor...however you can use a program such as Remote Administrator to view its screen and control the mouse on the monitor-less system remotely: http://www.radmin.com/download/

You can enable eJukebox 2Web v2.5 (on the Web tab in eJukebox's options panel) to control eJukebox remotely via a web browser running on the remote listening PC.

:cool: Audiosoft
View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
guddler

posted on 6-15-2004 at 11:25 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
To deal with the points in order...

Okay, will pop it into the startup folder, but doesn't the startup folder only get run on login?

Yes, you can get XP to automatically login a user, which would mean this would all work (already using the shoutcast winamp plugin), but i have in the back of my mind that when also using remote desktop, you can't use it. Will need to investigate that one!

I have eJukebox2Web running, and i did use the interface one afternoon. I left the web page up, and I seem to recall that it refreshes itself every so often? Well, regardless, I recall that day the EJ pc ran out of memory, then virtual memory, then crashed! I've been too busy since to worry about why it happened, all i know is that i haven't used the web interface since, and the memory use hasn't gone out of control since.

A memory leak in the web interface perhaps?

I haven't been that bothered as a) i've more often than not been happy to just listen to random tracks, and b) when i have wanted to select albums i've logged in using remote desktop (see above).

As i said, i didn't have much time to spend on it that particular day, but i don't recall seeing a way to add albums and stuff by browsing like with the full interface. I've got 15 days left of the trial, so i WILL revisit the web interface before it runs out as i am certainly going to purchase a license, but i will need to decide if i think the web interface is worth the extra dollars (i know it's not much extra!).

Probably worth mentioning that one of the big appeals of having eJukebox (or any jukebox) is the random play feature. If i try and decide what album i want to listen to, i often can't and come to the conclusion i'm bored with my CD collection. If i let it play random tracks, more often than not i find myself enjoying tracks i haven't listened to in years :)

Superb!!

Anyway, sorry for that pretty much turning into random ramblings :D

Martin.
Audiosoft
Super Administrator

posted on 6-15-2004 at 11:37 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
A couple of things:

Not sure what you mean by "but I have in the back of my mind that when also using remote desktop, you can't use it."
Can't use what? Try using the Remote Admin program mentioned above.

eJukebox's memory management is much better under Win2K and WinXP...it effectively uses 2-10MB physical RAM on those OS versions so you may want to install Win2K on the monitor-less PC if you have a copy lying around. Also regardless of the windows version...if you do not open the artist list and album list in eJukebox it will use much much less ram.

Make sure you have enough free space on the hard drive for virtual memory purposes.

Also you should use Winamp 2.91 on the monitor-less system as it uses much less ram and cpu than Winamp5 and offers the same features.

Also we have just added Drag and Drop Functionality to the 2Web Interface, for the version that follows eJukebox v3.83. So you will be able to reposition songs in the playlist via drag and drop as well as drag artists or albums from the songlist to the desired position in the playlist using 2Web.

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
guddler

posted on 6-15-2004 at 11:56 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
By

"but I have in the back of my mind that when also using remote desktop, you can't use it."

I mean the autologin feature of XP. If you put the startup folder links in, then you would need to autologin, and i don't think you can with remote desktop sharing enabled. Leave that one with me i'll do some more homework tomorrow!

As for the other bits though, i'm already running Windows XP Pro (i have a MSDN pro subscription so i could go back to 2000 but i don't really want to, and from what you say i shouldn't need to).

I have about 75GB free on the C drive. The reason it crashed is because i wasn't watching it, so the prompt came up advising me i needed to increase the pagefile size, but i didn't see it for several hours - oops!

Am using Winamp 2.something as downloaded by the install - prior to EJ i always used to use "Zinf" for my audio purposes, so i had no prior Winamp install, so just went with the flow when it prompted me if i wished to have it downloaded for me.

Again, with the memory thing, let me do some more investigation also. I'll do my best to ensure the time tomorrow afternoon to run using the web interface...

I should point out that i only have 128mb of ram, which i know isn't really beefy enough, but it's all i have available right now. Maybe later i can throw some more at it. It seems fine if i don't try and do too much at once though, and the machine is otherwise largely just a file server for me at home.

Anyways, I'll come back to you.

Martin.
PS: Thanks for the quick responses - time for sleep in the UK now though.
guddler

posted on 6-16-2004 at 12:42 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
Okay, close, but no cigar!

Autologin acheived under XP: run "control userpasswords2", uncheck the "users must supply username and password to use this computer" box, then when prompted enter the username and password that you wish to be autologged in.

Not desperately secure, but behind a firewall it's fine and it acheives the desired result.

So this then means i popped the shoutcast server and EJ into the startup folder and that all works lovely.

There is a problem that i don't appear to be able to get round though...

In the shoutcast dsp plugin for winamp i have confirgured it to autoconnect to the shoutcast server, BUT there seems to be a bug in that it doesn't autoconnect unless winamp is started in a normal window (ie, because EJ starts it minimized, it seems to ignore this setting). As soon as you "restore" the window, the shoutcast autoconnects to the server, and you can then minimize it again. So that's the only thing stopping me from being able to just switch the PC on without a screen, keyboard or mouse attached and have remote music while working, and local music through switching the speakers on when playing...

Now i know this is a Winamp / Shoutcast DSP problem, so i will see if i can get anymore info from them on this (although all initial attempts to find anything out just point me to the readme, which only tells you how to set it up!).

In the meantime, don't suppose there's a registry setting or INI file setting tucked away anywhere to tell EJ to start winamp in normal mode is there (not minimized)?

Of course, until i can do that i won't know for sure if it's the fact it's minimized that is the problem or something like it doesn't have focus as the active application. But got to try and start somewhere with working out where the problem lies :)

Anyway, reasonably successful. A major step forwards towards the goal.

I'll monitor the web interface memory usage once i've got some work out of the way!

Martin.
junk

posted on 6-17-2004 at 08:21 AM Edit Post Reply With Quote
Some times (not all of the time, actually), when using the eJukebox2web php script, eJ opens a new, blank Internet Explorer window each time it updates the "now playing" song. I've experienced coming home and seeing zillions of IE windows having opened, so this could be the reason for the crash you mentioned, if you ran out of ram, and the system became a bit too overloaded.
View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member junk's ICQ status This User Has MSN Messenger junk's Yahoo
Audiosoft
Super Administrator

posted on 6-17-2004 at 09:00 AM Edit Post Reply With Quote
Junk,

I believe guddler is talking about the 2Web v2.5 browser interface and not the 1.0 web script...since he doesn't have the script function enabled that can't be causing the memory problem.

guddler

posted on 6-17-2004 at 09:11 AM Edit Post Reply With Quote
A little update is in order :)

I was actually talking about 2Web v2.0, as it had managed to slip by me the fact that 3.83 / 2.5 was released the same day as i downloaded my evaluation!! I suspect the difference in timezone meant i downloaded my evaluation before anyone had got to the office that day ;)

I also think i _MAY_ have been playing around with the CGI script that day too...

However, yesterday i spotted the update and have gone to that version. I also had cause to segregate my network into to seperate networks (for entirely seperate reason), so HAD to use the web interface.

It all went off without incident. So whatever problem i had in the past was either a freak one-off, or was a result of the 2.0 version.

The 2.5 is a HUGE improvement incidentally, Well done.

One thing though, is there a quick link to add an entire album to the playlist (via web) rather than clicking each song individually?

If not, can we please, please, please have one in the next release??

Thanks,
Martin.
Audiosoft
Super Administrator

posted on 6-17-2004 at 10:23 AM Edit Post Reply With Quote
RE: is there a quick link to add an entire album to the playlist (via web) rather than clicking each song individually. If not, can we please, please, please have one in the next release??

Yes, a couple big improvements are coming to 2Web v2.x in the next release. One being the ability to drag and drop artist names and albums to add all songs by the artist or in the album to the playlist position you drop it on. Also you will be able to move songs around in the playlist via drag and drop. All of this from inside the web interface.

guddler

posted on 6-17-2004 at 11:06 AM Edit Post Reply With Quote
Superb!

I'm happy now :)

Expect a purchase in the next 10 days...

Many thanks,
Martin.
Post new thread Poll:

Go To Top

Audiosoft Home | Download EJukebox for Windows | Register EJukebox
©2019 Audiosoft Network. All rights reserved.
[queries: 16]
HTML5 Color Picker for CSS Opacity
Short Url Service with Stats