Audiosoft Forums Last active: Never
Not logged in [Login - Register]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites   Post new thread Poll:
Author: Subject: Music Organization by Decade
acebh

posted on 11-17-2003 at 04:33 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
Music Organization by Decade

I have a dilema of sorts with organizing music and was wondering how others were tackling the task. Currently I have a directory for full albums and have quickly been able to get the tag information right using Tag&Rename. I don't have a problem organizing most of the newer releases this way, but older stuff (70s/80s and back) I see as more of a problem because a lot of them didn't have cds or were re-released (or in compilations) so many times, thus the date could be 1998 for an Elvis song.

So the first problem is that I have a variety of artists left now that I have all the full albums done, and I need to easily (and quickly) get tag information set for all of the other songs that range from the 50s-90s. I guess my main question is do I organize songs by the date that the individual song first came out? It just seems so tedious to go about it this way, but otherwise if I select music from "the 90s", etc.. I stand the chance of getting a lot of older stuff because they were re-released. Is there anything out there better than Tag&Rename that would make this task easier? I'm hoping there's an easy solution.
Pirk
Posting Freak

posted on 11-17-2003 at 04:56 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
Yes, that is a good question!

I think this problem had been already refered: normally when eJukebox find an album on the All music site, it choose the older matching album. But as i don't use the lookup feature, i don't know if that really work or not?
junk

posted on 11-17-2003 at 05:06 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
I know this dilemma.... i try as a rule to date the releases to their original date.

For instance, if an album was originally released in 1968, and what i have is a 2003 remaster with three added bonus tracks, i still want it to be part of my selection when i select "60's" in the "Play decade" presets. Any thing else would be quite confusing for my use.
View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member junk's ICQ status This User Has MSN Messenger junk's Yahoo
Demnos

posted on 11-18-2003 at 09:56 AM Edit Post Reply With Quote
Indeed this is one of the most difficult problems when organizing your collection. The only true solution to this would be to record both dates, e.g. one into a user defined field. But since eJukebox doesn't evaluate this yet, this solution is of very little use.

And really, in some cases you would want 3 dates: What if you have a 2003 remaster of a 1973 album that includes 3 bonus tracks recorded in 1981?
junk

posted on 11-18-2003 at 01:09 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
Haha, geez... i never thought things could be so complicated. :)

Well... i've never been in the last situation. However, i've missed having the date as well as the year, since i have for instance two bob dylan albums released the same year. One came out before the other, but they are listed in reverse order in eJukebox, since it's done alphabetically.
View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member junk's ICQ status This User Has MSN Messenger junk's Yahoo
Post new thread Poll:

Go To Top

Audiosoft Home | Download EJukebox for Windows | Register EJukebox
©2019 Audiosoft Network. All rights reserved.
[queries: 16]
HTML5 Color Picker for CSS Opacity
Short Url Service with Stats