Audiosoft Forums Last active: Never
Not logged in [Login - Register]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites   Post new thread Poll:
Author: Subject: (UPDATED: v3.21) Album Lookup should default to OLDEST match
jhlurie

posted on 3-15-2003 at 03:34 AM Edit Post Reply With Quote
(UPDATED: v3.21) Album Lookup should default to OLDEST match

I'm not sure if this is a bug, a new feature request, or merely a limitation of the system used to look up the album information and beyond Audiosoft's ability to change.

The default behavior of the album lookup feature seems to be to point to the NEWEST album with that artist/song combo--inevitably some greatest hits collection or compilation.

In my opinion, its much more appropriate for the lookup to default to the OLDEST possible match, since that's more in context to the actual timeframe when the music was first released.
stsirois

posted on 3-16-2003 at 02:41 AM Edit Post Reply With Quote
I agree as it makes choosing music via the genre tab more accurate.

Steve
jhlurie

posted on 3-16-2003 at 06:37 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
Here's a good test case (since it acted about as bad as I've seen this problem).

"The Look of Love" by Dusty Springfield, from the album ALSO named "The Look of Love", from 1967.

Looks up EVERY time as from a recent "best of Burt Bacharach" collection, and in the full album lookup mode (when you are in the editor and requesting the lookup) even improperly changes the artist to Bacharach (who wrote the song and has also recorded a different version of it, but Springfield's name is outright being replaced).

My version of the MP3 started out with only the Artist and Title fields filled, with "Dusty Springfield" and "The Look of Love" respectively, and then the "Lookup Album/Image--Artist/Song Title" function was used.

Again, I recognize the limitations of this kind of lookup, but hope this example can help improve the process. This is not an app killer, just something that I hope can be bettered.

Please note its much MORE usual for a song simply to be attributed to a newer greatest hits album instead of the original album. This case with the artist actually being changed is just the most extreme case.

Here's an example of the more usual problem. "Chelsea" by Elvis Costello looks up to the 1999 greatest hits edition called "The Very Best of Elvis Costello" instead of the original album "Pump", from 1990.
jhlurie

posted on 4-11-2003 at 08:20 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
Anything new on this? Its very irritating that even with well known songs (actually, ESPECIALLY with well known songs), that a "greatest hits" compilation is what comes up.
Audiosoft
Super Administrator

posted on 6-5-2003 at 09:10 AM Edit Post Reply With Quote
We have done quite a bit in regards to the album cover lookup in v3.2.

In addition to the lookups now being multi-threaded, so that you can still use eJukebox while a lookup in in progress, this version makes it so Lookups always select the oldest album when there are multiple album matches.

:cool: Audiosoft
View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
cbsoundman

posted on 6-5-2003 at 02:12 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
Kickin' Chicken. I can't wait to see it.
junk

posted on 6-6-2003 at 09:50 AM Edit Post Reply With Quote
If you really want control over your album images, i recommend using Tag&Rename's album lookup using Allmusic.com's database. You select the right album, and it encodes the images in the mp3's id3 tags. Very handy.

As an added bonus, it'll also mean that someone without an internet connection (still some left ;=)) will get the album images in eJukebox.
View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member junk's ICQ status This User Has MSN Messenger junk's Yahoo
Audiosoft
Super Administrator

posted on 6-7-2003 at 12:55 AM Edit Post Reply With Quote
With version 3.21, we have made it so the lookup will always uses an album with the same artist over a compilation album whenever possible.

That way you will get more accuracy and increased fequency of different albums because of less Compilation as well as Artist's Greatest hits albums being used. This in addition to the the lookup now picking the oldest possible matching album, has greatly increased the acurracy.

Album images will automatically be restored to eJukebox on the Same computer after redoing the database or upgrading- no matter if the there is an internet connection or not.

eJukebox saves a reference number for the eJukebox lookedup image, in each mp3, so that the image never needs to be looked up again (only needing to be downloaded, one time, when you give the mp3 to someone else), Tag&Rename saves the actual image to the MP3 -which increasing each mp3s size.

So if you like eJukebox please try using eJukebox's editor as it allows you to save an image inside the mp3 or autolookup covers and encode the image id only saving space and making eJukebox run faster (because the images are already sized perfectly). Any suggestions on how to make the editor better would be appreciated.

Hope you all enjoy the increased accuracy of the album/image lookup.

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Pirk
Posting Freak

posted on 6-7-2003 at 03:26 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
Quote:

Any suggestions on how to make the editor better would be appreciated

If I have a brainwave, I will suggest to you immediately! ;)
However, I think the eJukebox editor is already very handy, even if for non-used users it may seem limited (because of its small size?), once you know its great potential, it is super efficient.
Use it, that is well worth it!

Pirk
Pirk
Posting Freak

posted on 6-7-2003 at 04:09 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
I'm dreaming or you have removed the button "Set4all" of the Artist field in the editor?
That would be useful for non-compilation albums.

Thanks,
Pirk
Audiosoft
Super Administrator

posted on 6-7-2003 at 09:40 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
The "Set4all" buttons are all still there - However, they only appear when applicable to avoid people clicking them when they wouldn't need to. The buttons appear by:

the Genre when the Genre is not the same for all songs by the Artist

the Year when the year is not the same for all the songs in an album

and the Album when the album image is not the same for all the songs with the same album name.

Also, we will probally be adding a new button in the editor soon to "Rename Artist" which would work like the "RenameAlbum" button but for the Artist. Allowing you to update Artist name misspellings, etc. without having to edit each song by the Artist with the misspelling.

Pirk
Posting Freak

posted on 6-8-2003 at 07:16 AM Edit Post Reply With Quote
Ah OK, it had never existed for artists... I am happy to hear you plan to add it soon. That was the only one still missing.

Thanks,
Pirk
Pirk
Posting Freak

posted on 6-8-2003 at 10:20 AM Edit Post Reply With Quote
While using the editor I'm thinking up it would be useful if the artist box had, in addition to the "Set4all" button already planned, a scroll list which would work like the genre list.
That would allow to easily find any artist name in duplicate because of misspelling or also if the same artist already exist in the database but written differently, i.e.: Rolling Stones, The Rolling Stones or Rolling Stones, The...
What do you think of this (good!) idea?
[EDITED]
I realize that is not necessary. It is easy to open the artist list at the same time and look for duplicate names...
Sorry for this post.
[END EDIT]

Pirk
Pirk
Posting Freak

posted on 6-10-2003 at 09:09 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
Thank you for the Rename Artist Button of the song Editor added so rapidly!
I come from use it and it work very well. It's handy and powerful!

Pirk
jhlurie

posted on 6-10-2003 at 10:46 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
Quote:
With version 3.21, we have made it so the lookup will always uses an album with the same artist over a compilation album whenever possible.

Since I've had less "old" songs than usual lately I've haven't had as much of a chance to test this, but overall its going okay.

Still some weird quirks. For example, I just loaded Bruce Springsteen's "The River" from a file with no Album filled in (the actual album is "The River"--an album for which my eJukebox already knew from other songs), and it decided that the song is actually a song called "The River" by Joe Ely, on some album called "Letter to Laredo".

Weird.
Post new thread Poll:

Go To Top

Audiosoft Home | Download EJukebox for Windows | Register EJukebox
©2019 Audiosoft Network. All rights reserved.
[queries: 16]
HTML5 Color Picker for CSS Opacity
Short Url Service with Stats