Audiosoft Forums Last active: Never
Not logged in [Login - Register]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites   Post new thread Poll:
Author: Subject: [Fixed v3.3] Case Fixing issues
jhlurie

posted on 6-26-2003 at 04:50 AM Edit Post Reply With Quote
[Fixed v3.3] Case Fixing issues

I think the behavior of this needs tweaking. If the intent is to correct lower case letters at the head of words, there are a lot of cases where it appears to be doing the exact opposite.

I mean does anyone really want "R.E.M." to be changed to "R.e.m."? Or "B.J. Thomas" to "B.j. Thomas". Or here's another. The name of the Bruce Springsteen song "Let's Be Friends (Skin To Skin)" changing to "Let's Be Friends (skin To Skin)"? These have all happened to me and seem to be using some weird rule that letters after a period, dash or parentesis are supposed to be small letters. Why? How often is that really a neccesary correction, versus the reverse situation when you have small letters at the heads of words which should be capitalized?

And why is this cap changing the default behavior on importing anyway? Seems to me it is the kind of operation which might be better off as a post-import task from the Special area, for those who want it. I know you can turn it off during the import with that somewhat hard to see checkbox, but if we are stuck with the capital to small letter part of it as well as the small letter to capital piece, I'm just curious why its NOT RECOMMENDED to turn it off.

At a minimum, if the cap to small letter corrections are deemed necessary somehow, I'd like to understand WHERE it applies. I could just be missing the point. Or if the two functions cap-to-small and small-to-cap could be seperated into two seperate items (with their own checkboxes--the first being OFF by default and the second being ON by default) that might be a way to handle the people who want both.
Audiosoft
Super Administrator

posted on 6-26-2003 at 09:17 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
You are absolutely right about the case fixing problems. This has been a long standing issue because we used the built-in Propercase function in our programing. This function basically makes all letters lowercase then capitalizes the first letter and the first letter after each space. Which causes problems. when you have a R.e.m or B.j. or a parenthesis such as (skin To Skin).

We have written our own function to do the case fixing better which will correct all of those issues by making it capitalize the first letter after every non-letter (not just after every space), except for after ' commas. The new casefixing will be in v3.3.

:cool: Audiosoft
View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
jhlurie

posted on 6-26-2003 at 11:06 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
Sounds good. Thanks.
Post new thread Poll:

Go To Top

Audiosoft Home | Download EJukebox for Windows | Register EJukebox
©2019 Audiosoft Network. All rights reserved.
[queries: 16]
HTML5 Color Picker for CSS Opacity
Short Url Service with Stats