Audiosoft Forums Last active: Never
Not logged in [Login - Register]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites   Post new thread Poll:
Author: Subject: Unknown files?
Rich

posted on 5-11-2003 at 05:54 AM Edit Post Reply With Quote
Unknown files?

What's up with all of the [songname).mp3.XXXXXX files?

I noticed they're created when editing a file, but not removed...

Thanks,
Rich
Rich

posted on 5-11-2003 at 06:04 AM Edit Post Reply With Quote
In addtion, copies are made when just PLAYING some songs as well. I can't give you a more specific reason.

This sucks, because disk-space can get eaten up pretty fast if you have a large mp3 collection and don't catch it.

Thanks,
Rich
Audiosoft
Super Administrator

posted on 5-11-2003 at 06:16 AM Edit Post Reply With Quote
Thank you for reporting this.
Do not delete the mp3.XXXXXX files!

This is happening when you try to edit a mp3 file that is being used (for example if it is playing when and you attempt to edit it).

Because the file is in use eJukebox cannot delete the file and replace it with the .XXXXXX file - which is the properly tagged copy of the mp3 that eJukebox temporarily creates when you perform an edit or popularity counts are increased.

With eJukebox v3.1 we tried to get around this problem with files that are being played by making playback stop...having the newly tagged mp3 replace the old mp3...then resume playback on the new file. However, if you are seeing .XXXXXX files, this must not be sufficient all the time..

We are looking into correcting the problem. Also, we will probally release a small program that will search your hard drive for the .XXXXXX files and replace them over the old mp3s.

:cool: Audiosoft
View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Rich

posted on 5-11-2003 at 06:21 AM Edit Post Reply With Quote
You don't have to edit the file for the .XXXXXX file to be created. I've been experimenting for the last 20 minutes or so and I've found that if bring up all the songs by a particular artist and click on the "Play Now" icon, some of the songs will have the file created WITHOUT editing.

For example, for my FOO Fighters, I have 44 songs, and I clicked "Play Now" for each, and 6 of the songs had files created. No editing was performed.

And... I've already deleted well over 200 of .XXXXXX files, but I don't seem to have any problems with the originals.

Thanks,
Rich
Rich

posted on 5-11-2003 at 06:25 AM Edit Post Reply With Quote
After deleting the 6 Foo Fighter .XXXXXX files, I clicked "Play Now" on each one again, and this time I had 14 of the 44 create files.

Trying to help,
-Rich
Audiosoft
Super Administrator

posted on 5-11-2003 at 06:30 AM Edit Post Reply With Quote
Do you have any file system security in place that may restrict the deleting or renaming of files? Are any of the original files READ-ONLY?

The reason this could occur, when you are not editing a file, is when eJukebox updates the files popularity count in the ID3 tag. However, the popularity update occurs after the file is done playing so this should not happen because the file is not in use then. Which is why your files might be write proof. Are any of the original files that get .xxxx files Read-Only?

Also, what version of Windows are you running?

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Rich

posted on 5-11-2003 at 06:36 AM Edit Post Reply With Quote
Windows XP Professional, SP1. None of the Foo Fighters are Read-Only. Using "Simple File Sharing".

Also, I'm not letting the entire song finish, I'm clicking on Play Now, then after a couple of seconds, doing the same to the next song on the list. I don't know if that matters.

Also... Although not as frequent, I have Custom mode cycle through ALL songs, and a few that play at random also create the files.

Thanks,
Rich
Audiosoft
Super Administrator

posted on 5-11-2003 at 06:38 AM Edit Post Reply With Quote
Are you running any antivirus software? If so disable the scanning of MP3 files and see if it still leaves the .xxxxxx files.

Also are you accessing these file over a LAN?

Rich

posted on 5-11-2003 at 06:44 AM Edit Post Reply With Quote
Yes, Norton 2002. I just changed the settings to prevent scanning of .mp3 files and it still happens.

Also, I was incorrect about the Custom mode (which doesn't collect stats, right?). I just ran through 100+ songs without any .XXXXXX files being created.

That's not a perfect test, but...

Accessing files locally.

Thanks,
Rich

E D I T

I just did another 100 songs on custom mode, 7 of the files did First-Time album cover look-ups and there were NO files created.
Audiosoft
Super Administrator

posted on 5-11-2003 at 06:52 AM Edit Post Reply With Quote
None of the playmodes collect stats. Stats are only increased when you "Play Now" a song or when you add it to the eJukebox playlist and it ends up being played.

Also try disabling the scanning of .XXXXXX files in Norton Antivirus.

Rich

posted on 5-11-2003 at 06:58 AM Edit Post Reply With Quote
I can't exclude .XXXXX, it's not a valid argument for Norton. I did disable real-time scanning alltogether and it still happens.

Also, it can bybass creating the .XXXXXX file on files added with "Play Now" (or by queuing them in the playlist) one time, but may create the file the next time the song is played. Seems to be somewhat random.

-Rich
Audiosoft
Super Administrator

posted on 5-11-2003 at 07:14 AM Edit Post Reply With Quote
OK, I believe I have isolated the problem. We should have an update or a re-release of v3.1 tomorrow. Do not delete the .xxxxxx files. The first time the updated version is run it will quickly search for and replace the .xxxxx files over their associated mp3s.

Also, are the .xxxxxx files still being made when you use the editor after disabling Norton on mp3s. Try editing the currently playing song while it is playing and another song that is not playing.

Rich

posted on 5-11-2003 at 07:29 AM Edit Post Reply With Quote
Nope. I edited one playing, one not, and neither created a .XXXXXX file.

Thanks,
Rich
Rich

posted on 5-11-2003 at 10:09 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
Audiosoft is NOT kidding when they say not to delete the .XXXXXX files. I was looking at the files that are replaced as "originals" and though they retain the TAG info, all the mp3 info, such as MPEG Version, Sample Freq., Bitrate, Channel Mode, all Flags, and all File Info ARE GONE! The .XXXXXX files retain this information.

-Rich
Audiosoft
Super Administrator

posted on 5-12-2003 at 08:08 AM Edit Post Reply With Quote
eJukebox v3.12 has been released to fix this issue.

http://www.audiosoft.net/download.htm

The first time you run this version it will search for .xxxxxx files based on all the songs in your eJukebox database and replace them over their associated mp3s. It will do this in the background and will use a large amount of CPU usage for 30sec-1min while it does this, right after eJukebox has started.

In addition, starting with this version, any .XXXXX files created will now automatically replace their associated mp3 file right after the original file is no longer in use or being played.

Post new thread Poll:

Go To Top

Audiosoft Home | Download EJukebox for Windows | Register EJukebox
©2019 Audiosoft Network. All rights reserved.
[queries: 16]
HTML5 Color Picker for CSS Opacity
Short Url Service with Stats