Audiosoft Forums Last active: Never
Not logged in [Login - Register]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites   Post new thread Poll:
Author: Subject: program freezes on edit
ringo

posted on 7-4-2003 at 08:37 AM Edit Post Reply With Quote
program freezes on edit

every now and then, when I try to edit a song, the program just freezes (during the saving operation), and I have to close it through the task manager. This does not happen all the time (about 10% of the edits). I am suing Windows XP, professional edition.

Any thoughts?
jhlurie

posted on 7-4-2003 at 10:12 AM Edit Post Reply With Quote
Are you sure it isn't a long pause instead of a freeze? I keep a lot of my MP3 files on a server, and occasionally when saving an edit I can get a minute long pause.
ringo

posted on 7-4-2003 at 10:50 AM Edit Post Reply With Quote
Well, all of my files are saved locally, and I've waited even 5 minutes, but nothing happen. When the saving operation is successful, it usually takes only 1-2 seconds to complete.
Also, I've noticed that in every saving operation there is a temporary file that is created in the same directory as the MP3 file. When the saving causes the program to freeze, no such file is created.

BTW, I'm using winamp 3.0. can this be the cause for this problem?
Rich

posted on 7-4-2003 at 11:32 AM Edit Post Reply With Quote
Since it seems that it works *some* of the time, are any of your folders Read Only?

-Rich
ringo

posted on 7-4-2003 at 03:00 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
No, that's not the problem either.
Another problem that i witnessed, that might be connected, is that when I press "Refresh List" in the album tab, the program also seems to freeze. In this case, however, pressing F5 unfreezes it.

Can this be connected to my other problem?
ringo

posted on 7-10-2003 at 09:26 AM Edit Post Reply With Quote
Well, I changed to winamp 2.91, and it "almost" solved the problem. With winamp 3.0 the program freezed in about 10% of the edit operations, and now it happened only once in my last 100 or so edits.

Just in case somebody else encounter this problem (though it seems i'm the only one...)
cbsoundman

posted on 7-10-2003 at 07:25 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
Changing songs always causes the program to freeze up for about 5-10 seconds for me. All my MP3s are on an external USB hard drive and they are all read-only. I wish the program would honor that read-only because I want to really keep them locked down when I don't want them edited automatically. I am running Windows 2000 professional (with the latest updates) and the program, itself, runs from a local hard drive. I always attributed it to having 3000+ MP3s.

By the way, if any of you want to massively set your MP3s to read only without going through each one in explorer or if you have subdirectories to worry about, go to a DOS prompt and change directories and drive letters until you are at the root of where your MP3s are located. Then, type "ATTRIB +R *.MP3 /S" without the quotes to make all MP3s read only. To make them all read/write, the command is "ATTRIB -R *.MP3 /S". The ATTRIB command sets a particular file attribute (in this case, R is READ-ONLY and the + sets the attribute and the - removes it). The *.MP3 means only MP3 files, and the /s means to look through subdirectories.
Rich

posted on 7-11-2003 at 12:39 AM Edit Post Reply With Quote
If your're running XP or 2000 you can do this through the GUI as well. (It MAY work with 98 / 95 / NT, but I don't have those OS's around anymore to confirm.)

- Right click on the folder containing your music files.
- Select Properties
- Check the Read Only box. If its grey, click it once to clear it and then again to check it. The check mark should have a white background now.
- Click OK or Apply.
- A dialog box will pop-up asking if you wish to apply the change to the one folder only, or the folder plus all subfolders and all files.

The DOS trick is sweet, (and it works in ALL windows versions) but this way works well for those who fear the dark. :)

-Rich
Post new thread Poll:

Go To Top

Audiosoft Home | Download EJukebox for Windows | Register EJukebox
©2019 Audiosoft Network. All rights reserved.
[queries: 16]
HTML5 Color Picker for CSS Opacity
Short Url Service with Stats