Audiosoft Forums Last active: Never
Not logged in [Login - Register]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites   Post new thread Poll:
Author: Subject: [Fixed v3.27] infinite loop on exit
extempore

posted on 6-11-2003 at 04:38 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
[Fixed v3.27] infinite loop on exit

The software looks very cool but it has some significant bugs. The most serious I've found so far is that when I quit, the window leaves but the process doesn't actually die, and in fact starts sucking up as much CPU as it can find, until I have to hard kill it in the task manager.

This is under a fully up to date win2k, with the latest ejukebox (3.23.) I just installed it for the first time so I don't know if it had this behavior with earlier versions. For completeness I tried rebooting, starting ejukebox, and then immediately quitting, and even under this scenario it loops. I can supply more info on request.
jimmydu3

posted on 6-11-2003 at 05:19 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
yeah, i've got the same problem
Audiosoft
Super Administrator

posted on 6-11-2003 at 06:31 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
Is it not looping.... it is performing ID3 tag writing operations.

Maybe we should have a dialog box that comes up the first time the user exits eJukebox in order to explain what is being done after exit - so people understand that it is not permanently looping and going to stay running forever.

What it is actually doing is writing album image ID#s to hidden fields in your MP3s ID3 tags, in order to ensure that it does not need to lookup an album cover for the song again. This is done once for each mp3 after it has gotten an album image during the automated lookup. If you kill the task while it is doing this - it will pickup were it left off the next time you exit.

After you have used eJukebox for awhile and all of your songs have album images set - it will exit immediately as there will be no new album ID#s to write.

The only reason this is noticable to you now is because you probally have a ton of new album images found for your tracks - because you are a new user. Each of these tracks needs to be written too once after you exit...which is why it may initially take some time to finish this process and completely exit the program.

:cool: Audiosoft
View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
extempore

posted on 6-13-2003 at 12:56 AM Edit Post Reply With Quote
Oh cool. That's good. Possibly relatedly, today I played through all the songs on an audioslave CD and it looked the same album image up 13 times. Does this perhaps stem from my abrupt termination? Whether it does or not, it probably shouldn't do that.

You'll definitely want to have some kind of feedback on long operations like that though. When I exit a program and the windows bails silently, but then my disk starts thrashing for a while, I tend to assume badness (correctly I think, in every instance ever save this one.)
Audiosoft
Super Administrator

posted on 6-20-2003 at 11:20 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
We have decided to change it so that the tags are written to the songs right after they are done playing. This way eJukebox will shutdown pretty much right away from now on. This change has been made in version 3.27.

:cool: Audiosoft
View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Post new thread Poll:

Go To Top

Audiosoft Home | Download EJukebox for Windows | Register EJukebox
©2019 Audiosoft Network. All rights reserved.
[queries: 16]
HTML5 Color Picker for CSS Opacity
Short Url Service with Stats