Board Logo

Music Organization by Decade
acebh - 11-17-2003 at 04:33 PM

I have a dilema of sorts with organizing music and was wondering how others were tackling the task. Currently I have a directory for full albums and have quickly been able to get the tag information right using Tag&Rename. I don't have a problem organizing most of the newer releases this way, but older stuff (70s/80s and back) I see as more of a problem because a lot of them didn't have cds or were re-released (or in compilations) so many times, thus the date could be 1998 for an Elvis song.

So the first problem is that I have a variety of artists left now that I have all the full albums done, and I need to easily (and quickly) get tag information set for all of the other songs that range from the 50s-90s. I guess my main question is do I organize songs by the date that the individual song first came out? It just seems so tedious to go about it this way, but otherwise if I select music from "the 90s", etc.. I stand the chance of getting a lot of older stuff because they were re-released. Is there anything out there better than Tag&Rename that would make this task easier? I'm hoping there's an easy solution.

Pirk - 11-17-2003 at 04:56 PM

Yes, that is a good question!

I think this problem had been already refered: normally when eJukebox find an album on the All music site, it choose the older matching album. But as i don't use the lookup feature, i don't know if that really work or not?

junk - 11-17-2003 at 05:06 PM

I know this dilemma.... i try as a rule to date the releases to their original date.

For instance, if an album was originally released in 1968, and what i have is a 2003 remaster with three added bonus tracks, i still want it to be part of my selection when i select "60's" in the "Play decade" presets. Any thing else would be quite confusing for my use.

Demnos - 11-18-2003 at 09:56 AM

Indeed this is one of the most difficult problems when organizing your collection. The only true solution to this would be to record both dates, e.g. one into a user defined field. But since eJukebox doesn't evaluate this yet, this solution is of very little use.

And really, in some cases you would want 3 dates: What if you have a 2003 remaster of a 1973 album that includes 3 bonus tracks recorded in 1981?

junk - 11-18-2003 at 01:09 PM

Haha, geez... i never thought things could be so complicated. :)

Well... i've never been in the last situation. However, i've missed having the date as well as the year, since i have for instance two bob dylan albums released the same year. One came out before the other, but they are listed in reverse order in eJukebox, since it's done alphabetically.