Audiosoft Forums Last active: Never
Not logged in [Login - Register]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites   Post new thread Poll:
 Pages:  1  2
Author: Subject: New Version?
junk

posted on 2-13-2004 at 10:58 AM Edit Post Reply With Quote
I think you're on to something here. Perhaps the file transfer drivers aren't properly tested for handling files with special characters. I guess the same would happen to my system with some files i have, that have too long filenames to be copied (or deleted, for that sake!).

I know some cases where this has happened after using Tag&Rename's "rename file" function. It renames the file after the id3 tag, and in some cases the filenames becomes extremely long. I can play the file, but cannot re-rename, copy, move or delete it (i use Windows XP, standard filesystem).
View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member junk's ICQ status This User Has MSN Messenger junk's Yahoo
Pirk
Posting Freak

posted on 2-13-2004 at 01:00 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
Audiosoft,

I have an idea concerning the problem of 2 consecutive songs having a identical length:

When the problem occur, i notice the position of the current playing song in the winamp playlist stay freezed to 2, even though normally after each "successful" synchronization the current playing song always stays in position 1, until it has finish to play. Then, before eJ synchronize, the current playing song in winamp is the next one in the list which, at this moment is precisely in POSITION 2!

So, rather than check the song length you could check (every second in real time) the "current song position in the winamp playlist". When position = 2, it's the current playing song has changed!

I think if you use this method to determine the song change, that should work in all the cases... This make sense?
Demnos

posted on 2-13-2004 at 05:07 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
Well, getting back to my problem, I

- examined the Winamp playlist file & compared it with the entries in the db.m3u file. Everything checks out perfectly.

- rebuilt the database one more time. No difference.

- replaced ejuke.asn with a fresh one and erased db.m3u, then rebuilt. No difference.

- I then copied some MP3 files to the local HD to bypass the network, again deleted ejuke.asn, db.m3u and rebuilt with only the local files. No difference. So now I know that the network has nothing to do with it.

- Finally, I upgraded to Winamp 5.02 lite, as I noticed the "lite" version is really almost the same as Winamp 2.91. No difference.

- I then took the files to a friend's PC, installed an evaluation copy of eJukebox, there everything plays fine without a problem.

So, Audiosoft, what do you think? Should I just format the HD and reinstall Windows etc.? This might take care of the problem, as it seems to be somehow related to this particular PC. I mean, noone else has this problem, right?

Then again, by doing so we may lose the opportunity to find out what is going on. The thing that still puzzles me is that eJukebox 3.4 works without any problems, only 3.5 and beyond show this behavior. And why only files with special characters??? I want to find out!!!!

So...do you still want me to try something or should I start formatting? If the latter, then be prepared to be asked for a new serial soon...I have no problem using 3.4 for some time, but if you have run out of ideas then I might as well get it over with now...
Demnos

posted on 2-13-2004 at 05:46 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
I FOUND IT!!! I FOUND IT!!! I FOUND IT!!! I FOUND IT!!! I FOUND IT!!! I FOUND IT!!! I FOUND IT!!! I FOUND IT!!! I FOUND IT!!! I FOUND IT!!! I FOUND IT!!! I FOUND IT!!! I FOUND IT!!! I FOUND IT!!! I FOUND IT!!! I FOUND IT!!! I FOUND IT!!! I FOUND IT!!! I FOUND IT!!! I FOUND IT!!! I FOUND IT!!! I FOUND IT!!! I FOUND IT!!! I FOUND IT!!! I FOUND IT!!! I FOUND IT!!! I FOUND IT!!! I FOUND IT!!! I FOUND IT!!! I FOUND IT!!! I FOUND IT!!! I FOUND IT!!! I FOUND IT!!! I FOUND IT!!! I FOUND IT!!! I FOUND IT!!! I FOUND IT!!! I FOUND IT!!! I FOUND IT!!! I FOUND IT!!! I FOUND IT!!! I FOUND IT!!! I FOUND IT!!! I FOUND IT!!! I FOUND IT!!! I FOUND IT!!! I FOUND IT!!! I FOUND IT!!! I FOUND IT!!! I FOUND IT!!! I FOUND IT!!! I FOUND IT!!! I FOUND IT!!! I FOUND IT!!!

Unbelievable. Normally, when the system was hanging, I always killed eJukebox from TASKMAN. Just now, for the first time, I did something else: I selected SHUTDOWN from the START Menu, while ejukebox was in its endless loop.

Gosh, I wish I would have done that earlier. Shutdown first hangs 30 seconds, then it kills eJukebox. Then it hangs another 30 seconds and kills Winamp (which is now also hanging). And then, after another 30 seconds, it kills one more program. And this is called "Microsoft Text To Speech Synthesizer" Arghh!!!! So yes, all I had to do was go into eJukebox and deselect "Song Announce" and now...NOW MORE HANGING.

Conclusions:

a) Text to speech doesn't work with foreign characters. I just called my friend where we installed eJukebox earlier today. And yes: Even on his PC, as soon as you start "Song Announce" and play a song with foreign characters, the system hangs. So you can all try this at home now!

b) I never ever ever ever used text to speech anyway, what a useless feature. This means, I also never enabled it. But until 3.4 the default after installation of eJukebox was OFF, and after that it was ON. Correct?

c) it also explains why nobody else had this problem: I don't think anybody in their right mind uses the song announce feature.

d) there is still something weird about this: Even when I used to play a song with non-foreign characters, I never heard the song announce. That is the reason why it never occured to me to switch it off. I simply didn't realize it was on! On my friend's PC, when you do enable Song Announce, you also hear it working (with non-foreign characters).

Anyway, this explains everything!!! Why my 3.4 worked and later versions didnn't and why it only happened on foreign characters and why only on my system.

Phew!!!!! Now I am so happy I don't have top reinstall anything. Time to open a nice big bottle of beer!!!:D:D:D:D:D:D:D Cheers!!!
Pirk
Posting Freak

posted on 2-13-2004 at 07:28 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
Demnos: Which just goes to show relentlessness end to pay... Bravo! :D

You can be proud! You manage to hang my computer :mad: Now i understand why you only ran v3.4... :D:
I've tried to enabled the song announce and play a song with foreign characters (french songs with some accents), and you know what happen...
But, knowing that was because of the song announce, i succeed in killing a program called vcmd.exe which used 97% of the cpu time!

Otherwise the song announce works good for me when there isn't any foreign character in the song or artist name, and even i haved try to use it there is a long time, and i don't remember it had ever hang my computer. Curious...
But i never use it because the voice is not polyglot!! I have songs in English, in French, in Spanish, in German... Or else it would be neccessary to change the speech engine according to the song language...

Cheers! Demnos :D
Demnos

posted on 2-13-2004 at 07:55 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
Thanks Pirk, for trying it out! And for the empathy! Now you really know what I have been going through...

At the same time you can imagine that I am happy for another reason: while you and the others have "only" upgraded from 3.6 to 3.7 this week, I now went from 3.4 straight to 3.7 and so I now have many more changes and new things to play around with today. Ha!
Pirk
Posting Freak

posted on 2-13-2004 at 08:13 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
So, today you are:

a) Relieved

b) Happy

c) Eager to try a lot of new eJukebox features.

d) And a bit... drunk! :D

PS: Don't take your car this evening... ;)
Audiosoft
Super Administrator

posted on 2-13-2004 at 10:37 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
Demnos,

:D So glad you figured this one out!!! Nice work!!

We are going to see if we can auto disable to song announce when it encounters a song with a foreign character. Also after 3.4, we enabled the song announce feature by default...I think we will be making it disabled by default again for the next version. ;)

:cool: Audiosoft
View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Pirk
Posting Freak

posted on 2-14-2004 at 11:13 AM Edit Post Reply With Quote
Quote:
Message original : Pirk
Audiosoft,

I have an idea concerning the problem of 2 consecutive songs having a identical length:

When the problem occur, i notice the position of the current playing song in the winamp playlist stay freezed to 2, even though normally after each "successful" synchronization the current playing song always stays in position 1, until it has finish to play. Then, before eJ synchronize, the current playing song in winamp is the next one in the list which, at this moment is precisely in POSITION 2!

So, rather than check the song length you could check (every second in real time) the "current song position in the winamp playlist". When position = 2, it's the current playing song has changed!

I think if you use this method to determine the song change, that should work in all the cases... This make sense?

What you think of my idea Audiosoft?
Is it good or is there something that prevent you can use this method?

PS: Today again, a moment ago, my Jukebox had stop to play because of 2 songs having the same length! At least now i know why suddenly it stop to play my music...

Thanks.
Pirk
Posting Freak

posted on 5-31-2004 at 12:35 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
Audiosoft,

As regularly (at least once every day! Agrr...) eJukebox stop playing when 2 songs have the same lenght; or worse, when the "Prevent Playback Stoppage" option is enabled, it play the same song again, it play the same song again... and again(!), a real nightmare!
I wonder if one day you plan to fix this issue or not... Especially as i think i have a SOLUTION !!! :) (as suggested in my previous post):

>>> i.e. to watch the now playing SONG POSITION in the Winamp playlist, rather than its lenght... :
When the song position in the Winamp playlist change, then you can be sure the now playing song has changed !!!
It's so simple... and at least that would FIX this nasty bug for good!

Unless something else prevent you to use this method ???
The only case where that may not work is when eJ simply monitor Winamp and if someone change the tracks order... A mode i never use, but... Although i'm not sure if that really cause a problem: just a supplementary unnecessary synchronization? and then, it's not a problem since at this moment eJ is in a passive mode!

So maybe you could keep the current "song lenght" method specially for the monitoring mode, if you care about it, but above all watch the "playlist position" in all other cases. :)

Or else, tell me if i'm completely wrong on this!

Thanks.
Audiosoft
Super Administrator

posted on 5-31-2004 at 09:24 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
Pirk,

Funny you bring this post up now...we just fixed this 2 days ago for v3.83.

In v3.83, we have fixed the problem where eJukebox was not updating the now playing display (and inturn the playlist) when the song playing before the current song had the same track length. So eJukebox should now always show the correct song and continue playing no matter what.

Your idea for song position check was good but there was an even simpler way to accomplish this (which we should have thought of much sooner)...we just added a double check in eJukebox for the current winamp song when the playtime is between 0:00-0:01 just in case the song changed and the track length did not.

:cool: Audiosoft
View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Pirk
Posting Freak

posted on 6-1-2004 at 06:14 AM Edit Post Reply With Quote
Ahah... very good! I'm happy if you have finally fixed this bug! No matter the way you use, since that works... :)

Thanks a lot!
 Pages:  1  2
Post new thread Poll:

Go To Top

Audiosoft Home | Download EJukebox for Windows | Register EJukebox
©2019 Audiosoft Network. All rights reserved.
[queries: 16]
HTML5 Color Picker for CSS Opacity
Short Url Service with Stats