Audiosoft Forums Last active: Never
Not logged in [Login - Register]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites   Post new thread Poll:
Author: Subject: eJukebox design suggestion
junk

posted on 1-15-2004 at 07:17 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
eJukebox design suggestion

Here's just a quick (well, it was supposed to be quick, but...) suggestion of how i envision a possible interface for eJukebox might be.

It is really just a change of the "now playing" panel, but one step at a time, right? :)

This mockup takes in consideration that in the future, the playlist will be available in the main screen as well, so you can easily organise a big playlist, while always seeing which 4-5 songs are up next... see this post for more info about that function:
http://www.audiosoft.net/forums/viewthread.php?tid=445

I used Fishy's eJ screengrab as a starting point, so that's the reason for the large resolution. I've made the backgrounds and buttons many years ago, so they are perhaps a bit more spaced out than i woud reccomend for a permanent design. ;) But i would like this as an alternative skin, though :)

I haven't bothered inserting the stars for the rating, nor the volume/time/etc functions... that'll be in the next version. :cool:

junk has attached this image:
eJukebox_junksuggestion_01.jpg - 206.48kb
View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member junk's ICQ status This User Has MSN Messenger junk's Yahoo
Pirk
Posting Freak

posted on 1-15-2004 at 09:14 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
Bravo Junk! I like your idea of a bigger image in the now playing pannel. Almost all my images are in 300x300... ;)
Fishy

posted on 1-15-2004 at 11:13 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
Except for the play, next etc buttons I really liked this design, looked slick. Those buttons may be a little too much though? Slick fonts and such ;)

I would like to see a mockup where you've also have changed the borders around the windows, and colors of course. I enjoy the possibility of having patterns all over the program. It invites to an more invidual looking ej. :)

Keep on developing this concept, Junk. I think you're heading somewhere with this. And remember to post shots of your progress :)

-----------
Fishy
View User's Profile Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member Fishy's ICQ status
Cactusboy

posted on 1-16-2004 at 07:36 AM Edit Post Reply With Quote
I like!

I like!:)
jhlurie

posted on 1-18-2004 at 03:36 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
The idea of showing the next 5 possible "autoplay" songs is one I tossed out a while back. I'm not sure Audiosoft liked it...

You'd need to have a "Next" function for each one though--so you could juggle which ones stay and which go.
junk

posted on 1-18-2004 at 08:07 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
Why a "next" for each one? I'd rather have it just like it in today's playlist; you can move the order of the files, and remove the one's you don't like by right-clicking on it... would also be great if you could just drag'n'drop it to the outside of eJukebox,, or in a designated "trashcan" area of eJ, and it would be removed from the list.
View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member junk's ICQ status This User Has MSN Messenger junk's Yahoo
Pirk
Posting Freak

posted on 1-18-2004 at 08:18 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
Nice plans, guys :D

junk, your idea of a trash area is great!

If there was also a way to select several files at the same time (like in Windows) in the playlist, that would be perfect...
Fishy

posted on 1-19-2004 at 10:46 AM Edit Post Reply With Quote
And the forum got it's first senior member ;) Congratulations Pirk, you're an inspiration! Viva! :D

-----------
Fishy
View User's Profile Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member Fishy's ICQ status
Pirk
Posting Freak

posted on 1-19-2004 at 10:11 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
Thank you for the compliment Fishy :D I appreciate too your contribution to the forum, with your friend junk! ;)

In fact Demnos and Mabonetti (who is away) was already senior members in the old forum... Only now, they are less talkative! :)
jhlurie

posted on 1-20-2004 at 11:56 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
Quote:
Originally posted by junk
Why a "next" for each one? I'd rather have it just like it in today's playlist; you can move the order of the files, and remove the one's you don't like by right-clicking on it... would also be great if you could just drag'n'drop it to the outside of eJukebox,, or in a designated "trashcan" area of eJ, and it would be removed from the list.

That's not at all how it is right now. Autoplay items (the ones where a CD cover is show) are predicted ahead of being played and you have a "next" choice to deny that autoplay choice. Playlist items don't have CD covers next to them--presumably so that more of them can fit in a smaller space.
Demnos

posted on 1-21-2004 at 10:54 AM Edit Post Reply With Quote
One solution to this problem (rather than having 5 NEXT buttons) could be that one could drag and drop items from the Autoplay list into the playlist, and the (single) NEXT button would always generate 5 new Autoplay songs.

So it would be like this: eJukebox will suggest the next 5 songs. If I do nothing (the original idea behind Autoplay) then all those songs will play one by one, and eJukebox will always generate 1 more song as 1 is being moved to NOW PLAYING. If I see that I only like, say, songs 1 and 4, then I drag those to the playlist, click NEXT and get 5 new songs.

I think this could be a neat festure because it would allow a DJ to generate a nice playlist quickly based on suggestions by the program, but still only containing songs that he picks. A lot of times I sit before my huge collection and cannot decide what to play next, so this feature will help me...
junk

posted on 1-21-2004 at 11:07 AM Edit Post Reply With Quote
jhlurie, i feel like we are misunderstanding each other. In my suggestion, the autoplay function is extended to randomly generate not only one song ahead, but a long list. When in a autoplay mode, I agree there should be a general "next" button, which would generate a new set of songs, which would be displayed with their covers.

When it comes to the playlist, i meant to point out that i would like the functionability of the playlist applied to the "up next" - the removing of entries, moving etc.

It may not be clear from my suggestion, but the up next panel should always display the songs with their covers, and the playlist shoud no longer be confined to the small left panel, but be placed in the main window. This should satisfy all the users who want the playlist more managable and organized, as well as those who want the playlist more visible (TV / Jukebox users etc).
jhlurie

posted on 1-21-2004 at 07:03 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
Quote:
Originally posted by Demnos
One solution to this problem (rather than having 5 NEXT buttons) could be that one could drag and drop items from the Autoplay list into the playlist, and the (single) NEXT button would always generate 5 new Autoplay songs.

So it would be like this: eJukebox will suggest the next 5 songs. If I do nothing (the original idea behind Autoplay) then all those songs will play one by one, and eJukebox will always generate 1 more song as 1 is being moved to NOW PLAYING. If I see that I only like, say, songs 1 and 4, then I drag those to the playlist, click NEXT and get 5 new songs.

I think this could be a neat festure because it would allow a DJ to generate a nice playlist quickly based on suggestions by the program, but still only containing songs that he picks. A lot of times I sit before my huge collection and cannot decide what to play next, so this feature will help me...

Except that there should be SOME way to dismiss individual songs out of that five which is less complicated that a complex drag and drop. If having 5 "nexts" takes too much room, how about a right click popup menu function?

On the right click popup for each of the five "Autoplay" items could be:

-Add this song to current playlist
-Dismiss this song from Autoplay
-Play this song now
-Show all songs by this Artist

Also, a drag of the song to the normal playlist area, as you have suggested, should ALSO add it to the current playlist, as should a drag to the Now Playing window play it, and a drag outside the borders of eJ (if it's windowed) should dismiss the song.

And of course, if NOTHING is done to those Autoplay songs, and there is nothing in the "regular" playlist area, then they play in order--a new suggestion appearing at the bottom of the "Autplay queue" when one is used up.

One change to the base mechanics of the eJ program though would have to be that the Autoplay "picks" do not dissapear when songs are taken out of it and put into the normal playlist. Maybe to take less room they resize a bit though (or lose the covers), depending on how much "room" is being taken up in the regular playlist area by choices there.
matthewlking.com

posted on 11-8-2004 at 02:50 AM Edit Post Reply With Quote
Quote:
... Except for the play, next etc buttons...

Funny, out of all the features and changes people are throwing out htere, that is the only one I find useful at all.

I have been forced to file my pinky nail down to a "coke sniffer point" jsut so I can press play and next track on my touch screen.
junk

posted on 11-8-2004 at 01:14 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
True... and the visualisation button is always lurking with its dangerous closeness to the "next" button. I click on it often enough with my touchpad, bet it must be a hell lot worse with a touchscreen.
Fishy

posted on 11-8-2004 at 01:56 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
I think they talked about redoing the play controls in flash in another thread.. Then we hopefully will get both larger controls, a previous song buttong and less accidental visualization :)

I even think they wanted help with the design:

http://www.audiosoft.net/forums/viewthread.php?tid=975#pid5200

The suggestion at the top of this thread still is a good one by the way :D Sure like the idea of large album covers in now playing and , while so many "up nexts" might be a little confusing, I'd sure like the playlist to display albumcovers in the way illustrated. Also like the idea of using graphics instead of pure text in the artistlist a-z and patterns in scrollbars :D

-----------
Fishy
Post new thread Poll:

Go To Top

Audiosoft Home | Download EJukebox for Windows | Register EJukebox
©2019 Audiosoft Network. All rights reserved.
[queries: 16]
HTML5 Color Picker for CSS Opacity
Short Url Service with Stats