Audiosoft Forums Last active: Never
Not logged in [Login - Register]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites   Post new thread Poll:
Author: Subject: Network Drive Issue
mattwash

puzzled.gif posted on 3-6-2008 at 10:44 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
Network Drive Issue

Hi. The laptop I store my mp3's on is fast running out of disk space, so I've taken the plunge and bought a network drive. The drive has been connected up successfully and I have copied my mp3's across without any trouble (I still have them on my C: drive as well until I'm happy). I've rejigged iTunes to read the files from the new location (F: drive) - all ok so far. However, the fun starts when I try to rebuild the database in eJukebox. I choose the Re-Build Database option, point eJukebox to the network drive, and eJukebox processes all the folders, but finds no files. I've tried adding songs in a file at a time and also a folder at a time - again eJukebox finds no files. If I double click on an mp3 file in Explorer with eJukebox open, winamp will play the file and the file will be added to eJukebox (but obviously I don't fancy having to do this 9000+ times). I've also created a small playlist stored on the network drive listing 3 songs also stored on the network drive. Interestingly, eJukebox added these 3 songs. Has anyone else come across a similar problem?
Audiosoft
Super Administrator

posted on 3-6-2008 at 11:23 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
Have you tried Tools->Add New Files->Specify Folder to Search in->and then select your network drive and a folder? you may first need to map the network drive to a letter using explorer.

:cool: Audiosoft
View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
mattwash

posted on 3-6-2008 at 11:44 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
Yes I think I've tried every way of adding the files in from within eJukebox and the only way files will actually be recognised is by double clicking on an mp3 in Explorer with winamp and eJukebox open - this will then add the file to eJukebox. The network drive is mapped (F: drive). I've attached a screen dump of the update database option in action.
Audiosoft
Super Administrator

posted on 3-6-2008 at 11:47 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
Hmmm...Are your files or the folder they are in set to Hidden?

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
mattwash

posted on 3-6-2008 at 11:58 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
No, the Hidden attibute is clear for everything. The only attribute set on the files is the Archive bit.
Audiosoft
Super Administrator

posted on 3-7-2008 at 12:01 AM Edit Post Reply With Quote
ah I think when you move files to a new drive it marks them as Read-Only/Archive and that could be what is causing a problem. Try right clicking the Music Folder and Seleting Properties in Explorer then uncheck Hidden Read-Only and Archive. Then see if eJukebox will find the files.

crlove

posted on 3-7-2008 at 04:30 AM Edit Post Reply With Quote
I store all my mp3 files on a differant machine than my music server running eJukebox. I map a drive and then access the top of my MP3 Music Folder. eJukebox finds all the folders and mp3 files. The layout of my directory structure has some artist/albums atleast 3 or 4 folders deep.
mattwash

posted on 3-7-2008 at 07:22 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
Quote:
Originally posted by Audiosoft
ah I think when you move files to a new drive it marks them as Read-Only/Archive and that could be what is causing a problem. Try right clicking the Music Folder and Seleting Properties in Explorer then uncheck Hidden Read-Only and Archive. Then see if eJukebox will find the files.

Still the same, I'm afraid.
mattwash

posted on 3-7-2008 at 07:28 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
Quote:
Originally posted by crlove
I store all my mp3 files on a differant machine than my music server running eJukebox. I map a drive and then access the top of my MP3 Music Folder. eJukebox finds all the folders and mp3 files. The layout of my directory structure has some artist/albums atleast 3 or 4 folders deep.

...which is exactly what I expected to happen when I bought the network drive. It's an odd one - it's not like I'm trying to do anything out of the ordinary. I'm determined to sort it - I can't imagine not having eJuke...
crlove

posted on 3-7-2008 at 09:28 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
Have you tried to use microsoft search on the folder? If you have it ignore hidden files that should answer the hidden file\folder issue. Read only files shouldn't matter unless you are trying to update them with eJukebox.
mattwash

posted on 3-7-2008 at 11:29 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
Hi crlove. Yup tried that and the files are listed. I've never had a problem viewing the files with XP or writing files for that matter as I managed to copy the files across initially.

Also, other apps (such as winamp and iTunes) will see and play the files.
crlove

eureka.gif posted on 3-8-2008 at 04:43 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
Quote:
Originally posted by mattwash
....I have copied my mp3's across without any trouble (I still have them on my C: drive as well until I'm happy). .... However, the fun starts when I try to rebuild the database in eJukebox. I choose the Re-Build Database option, point eJukebox to the network drive, and eJukebox processes all the folders, but finds no files. ....

It maybe that since you have them on C: and have read them into the database that eJukebox is not treating the files on F: as new music.
Have you tried renaming the db.m3u and ejuke.asn then doing a complete reload of the database? Renaming the files will cause eJukebox to start with a fresh database and only have the files and folders that you add from that point on.

Making a copy of the db.m3u and ejuke.asn is also a good way of having a quick backup of your eJukebox music database on hand in case it should become corrupt. If you want to backup the settings just copy the .ini files in the eJukebox folder.
mattwash

posted on 3-9-2008 at 11:52 AM Edit Post Reply With Quote
Same results I'm afraid. eJukebox ran through the initial database setup, processed all the folders on the network drive, but still found no files.
mattwash

eureka.gif posted on 3-15-2008 at 12:45 AM Edit Post Reply With Quote
Ok. I've managed a work-around (it's not ideal and I wouldn't necessarily recommend it, but I've now got eJukebox playing files from my network drive). It's a crude solution, but it works whilst I try and get to the bottom of the original problem. Before I copied my mp3's over to the network drive and rebuilt the database, I made a copy of db.m3u and ejuke.asn. As the file/folder structure is exactly the same on both my C: and F: drives (C:Music<aritst><album>, F:Music<artist><album> ), I've amended the file paths in the database file to reflect this. The only problem I've encountered so far is that every time eJukebox starts, it wants to add the song playing at startup into the database again, although if you look at the file information, it will display in 8dot3 format (eg F:MUSIC1919THECOM~112CRYW~1.MP3) instead of the normal format. Changing the Playback Method from WinAmp to Media Player seems to have resolved this (although it does raise another question which I will raise elsewhere). Again, I would like to say it's a bit crude but at least I'm up and running for now. Can I just also thank Audiosoft and crlove for their sugggestions? Cheers, guys.
Atavar

posted on 12-11-2008 at 03:39 AM Edit Post Reply With Quote
Another suggestion would be to move the files to your network drive, do the update database / remove missing files then add the new folder.. that's what I did in the same situation and it worked
bhauxwell

posted on 1-25-2009 at 10:35 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
Network Drive Issue

Hi, I also have an issue similar the the one described about network drives.

I have a network Share with 37k tracks on it. Ejukbox seems to find some (different amount each time) and will then just ignore the rest no matter how you point it at them. The only way to add them is by playing them in Winamp - one at a time.
neilneil72

posted on 5-4-2009 at 09:09 AM Edit Post Reply With Quote
Quote:
Originally posted by bhauxwell
Hi, I also have an issue similar the the one described about network drives.

I have a network Share with 37k tracks on it. Ejukbox seems to find some (different amount each time) and will then just ignore the rest no matter how you point it at them. The only way to add them is by playing them in Winamp - one at a time.

Yep, I have the same issue. Manages to find the files if they are on my C drive, but when searching on a mapped network drive = no files found :(

Any help would be appreciated on this.

Thanks
Audiosoft
Super Administrator

posted on 5-4-2009 at 05:49 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
make sure you are selecting a Folder on the mapped drive letter in eJukebox database manager and not having it search all drives

neilneil72

posted on 5-4-2009 at 06:06 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
Quote:
make sure you are selecting a Folder on the mapped drive letter in eJukebox database manager and not having it search all drives

Hi,

I'm choosing :

- Tools
- Add New Songs to eJukebox
- Specify Folder to Search In
- Choosing M drive (network drive letter).

Returns 0 files added

Thanks
Audiosoft
Super Administrator

posted on 5-4-2009 at 06:51 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
neilneil72,
when eJukebox is looking for files to add the db it ignores folder names containing these words:
temp temporary recycle winnt
and it will not search folder named 'windows'
it also ignores files with names containing the word Incomplete and files under 350KB

However when you drop files on the eJukebox playlist from windows explorer ejukebox should get the desired file paths immediately so the above restrictions do not apply. if add new files does not work try dragging media files on M:\ from windows explorer to the eJukebox playlist.

neilneil72

posted on 5-4-2009 at 07:23 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
Quote:
neilneil72, does the database update manager show the folder paths in M:\ its looking in? what version of eJukebox are you using?

also when eJukebox is looking for files to add the db it ignores folders containing these words:
temp temporary recycle winnt windows
it also ignores files with names containing the word Incomplete and files under 350KB

Hi,

Appreciate your help on this.

I'm running Vista, and eJukebox version is 4.99.54 (downloaded and subscribed just this weekend).

Directories are visible when browsing to add files/folders. Example structure is :

M:\Music\Artists\A-H\A\Aa-Ag\

The adding process runs through all the directories, and the paths are visible in the search window, but returns nothing.

Thanks for your help.
Audiosoft
Super Administrator

posted on 5-4-2009 at 07:28 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
thanks btw i edited my post above so please re-read that and try dragging files on M:\ from windows explorer to the eJukebox playlist and see if that works. you can't drag folders just select all the media files in M:\whateverfolders\ and drag them to the playlist and let me know if that works. then will know better where to look to figure out how to get 'add new' working for your mapped drive.

neilneil72

posted on 5-4-2009 at 07:44 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
Quote:
thanks btw i edited my post above so please re-read that and try dragging files on M:\ from windows explorer to the eJukebox playlist and see if that works. you can't drag folders just select all the media files in M:\whateverfolders\ and drag them to the playlist and let me know if that works. then will know better where to look to figure out how to get 'add new' working for your mapped drive.

Ok great, I've managed to get some files in there which is great thanks. Might take a little longer to add them all, as it only works when I add one at a time, but it's a good start.

Many thanks for your help and time. Much appreciated.
Audiosoft
Super Administrator

posted on 5-4-2009 at 08:22 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
Great glad that works - btw which file extension is your media? if is video would need to check box for videos on add new files.

neilneil72

posted on 5-4-2009 at 08:34 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
Quote:
Great glad that works - btw which file extension is your media? if is video would need to check box for videos on add new files.

Hi.
They're all mp3 files. Will see how I get on!

Thanks for your help.
Zainen

posted on 12-2-2009 at 04:25 AM Edit Post Reply With Quote
Changing the Playback Method from WinAmp to Media Player seems to have resolved this.

Regards

Zainen
Surendettement
Post new thread Poll:

Go To Top

Audiosoft Home | Download EJukebox for Windows | Register EJukebox
©2019 Audiosoft Network. All rights reserved.
[queries: 16]
HTML5 Color Picker for CSS Opacity
Short Url Service with Stats