Not logged in [Login - Register]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites   Post new thread Poll:
 Pages:  1  2
Author: Subject: crashing while updating library
jojo

posted on 5-15-2007 at 03:31 AM Edit Post Reply With Quote
crashing while updating library

Audiosoft, not sure what's up, looking into it more, I'm in the process of moving my files. When I'm in the middle of updating the library EJ crashes all the way out to no longer running.
View User's Profile Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member This User Has MSN Messenger jojo's Yahoo
Audiosoft
Super Administrator

posted on 5-15-2007 at 03:54 AM Edit Post Reply With Quote
If it crashes again: open up C:\Program Files\eJukebox\db.m3u in notepad and check the last 2 files listed. Make sure they are not corrupt or incomplete file downloads.

:cool: Audiosoft
View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
jojo

posted on 5-15-2007 at 06:50 AM Edit Post Reply With Quote
Quote:
Originally posted by Audiosoft
If it crashes again: open up C:\Program Files\eJukebox\db.m3u in notepad and check the last 2 files listed. Make sure they are not corrupt or incomplete file downloads.

Well, I thought I was onto it, in the db.m3u file the last track was a partial path, I moved that one folder to try and fix it, it crashed again, then I attempted to rebuild the libray and it crashed on a different folder, one that it passed before. looks like a bug
View User's Profile Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member This User Has MSN Messenger jojo's Yahoo
Audiosoft
Super Administrator

posted on 5-15-2007 at 07:00 AM Edit Post Reply With Quote
i doubt it is a bug because I just rebuilt a database with 9000 songs using v4.61 and had no problems.

what happens? does ejukebox just disappear? do you get an error message? if it is a problem with a particular files it would be the file that comes after the last line in db.m3u.

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Pirk
Posting Freak

posted on 5-15-2007 at 04:47 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
Re-build folder takes ages..

Well.. for my part, I've tried to rebuild 2 folders with eJ 4.61 after I removed some unwanted "asn" tags using an external editor (Godfather).
The first folder (547 albums in it) reloaded good, very slowly but good! The second one is a big one: more than 25000 files in it: It started to reload slowly until +/- 6500 files.. but I was obliged to close the eJukebox rebuild box, because my PC was almost 100% paralysed by this process (only the mouse is not paralysed). I think the problem is the RAM memory of my PC (1024 Mo) becomes completely saturated during the loading of song datas (some songs, the first song of each album in particular, are very long to load - all my "old" albums include id3 images.. It seems the image loading process is very slow), while the processor is not used a lot! So during the database rebuild my PC is totally unusable, and the update is so slow than I can't reload a big folder until the end: 24H was insufficient! For the big folder, it only loaded 7000 files during a day..

Audiosoft, I don't know if my PC is in question or eJukebox??

Thanks.

:cool: Pirk
jojo

posted on 5-15-2007 at 04:50 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
Quote:
i doubt it is a bug because I just rebuilt a database with 9000 songs using v4.61 and had no problems.

what happens? does ejukebox just disappear? do you get an error message? if it is a problem with a particular files it would be the file that comes after the last line in db.m3u.

It just disappears, I've not seen a message. Well, I do have some developments, I restored my library from backup, so it should be the perfectly working library that it was. Now it's only seeing about 1500 of the 7,000 tracks in the folders.

Could it be paths too long? I'm trying to move the library so the path names aren't too long for other programs.

Currently: C:\documents and settings\jojo\My Documents\My Music\%artist\%album\track#-artist-title

moving to: C:\Media\Music\%artist\%album\track#-artist-title

Some of those tracks for some reason are much deeper file structure (a problem I'm looking into) something like :

Currently: C:\documents and settings\jojo\My Documents\My Music\%artist\%album\%artist\%album\track#-tittle-artist-album.xxx

Not sure why or what changed them to the worse structure, but will fix today.
jojo

posted on 5-15-2007 at 10:13 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
Quote:
Originally posted by Pirk
Well.. for my part, I've tried to rebuild 2 folders with eJ 4.61 after I removed some unwanted "asn" tags using an external editor (Godfather).
The first folder (547 albums in it) reloaded good, very slowly but good! The second one is a big one: more than 25000 files in it: It started to reload slowly until +/- 6500 files.. but I was obliged to close the eJukebox rebuild box, because my PC was almost 100% paralysed by this process (only the mouse is not paralysed). I think the problem is the RAM memory of my PC (1024 Mo) becomes completely saturated during the loading of song datas (some songs, the first song of each album in particular, are very long to load - all my "old" albums include id3 images.. It seems the image loading process is very slow), while the processor is not used a lot! So during the database rebuild my PC is totally unusable, and the update is so slow than I can't reload a big folder until the end: 24H was insufficient! For the big folder, it only loaded 7000 files during a day..

Audiosoft, I don't know if my PC is in question or eJukebox??

Thanks.

I hate to say it, my system is not in question, that I'm aware of. This sytstem was built for Media (Windows MCE) came stock. It pretty much plays everything that I've come up with. Mine is doing the same thing you mentioned, crashes right at 556 (I'm trying something now, removed "Bob Segar" the file it crashed on, but it plays fine, in many players...) of my 8,000+ tracks. Granted, some (many) are .WMA (silly me, I listened to a friend / aquaintance that works at my ISP to use WMA fomrat,.... )

EDIT:! Jus in: (315pm) I moved Bob Segar and it continued now.... in looking further there is an "&" in the tag.... Found it I Think!!!!
Audiosoft
Super Administrator

posted on 5-15-2007 at 10:17 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
Is the Bob Segar song it crashes on a wma or mp3?

jojo

posted on 5-15-2007 at 11:31 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
Quote:
Is the Bob Segar song it crashes on a wma or mp3?

It's .wma

I thought I had it, but now it's crashing, much farther along,

EDIT: 08:45a 5/16 I'm still having some problems with this, I've not been able to do a full import of my library, it stops at 5185 of near 8500+ tracks. I'll keep looking into it, strange characters in the tags, or incomplete tags. So far, I've not found the culprit, other than a guess. I've noticed some of the files are in the format of: C:\Media\Music\%artist_Name\%album\tr#-title

I'll be working on that today and report back.

I seem to still have a lot of "artist 0" in the library, though I think the above reason tells me why. (they are All .wma)

jojo
Pirk
Posting Freak

thumbdown.gif posted on 5-16-2007 at 06:13 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
A minute of silence, please..

Sadely as I restarted eJukebox since my yesterday folders rebuilding attempt, after a long eJukebox starting delay (PC 100% paralysed..), my database just rised back to 7255 songs, from more than 40000 files before the update... :( :( :(

jojo

shocked.gif posted on 5-16-2007 at 06:24 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
Bummer

It looks like our issues are related.... on one part it makes me feel better that it's not just me.... Makes it easier to go through everything.

:o:o 40,000 Are you kidding me?! Woa! and I thought I had a lot of music, with a very extensive collection. I can't even fathom how many gigs that takes up. I was looking over my library this go-around and noticed that my library takes 49 Gb now, which in itself is decent LOL

jojo :P
Pirk
Posting Freak

posted on 5-16-2007 at 06:37 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
Yeah man, 40000! I can give you a trick: if you want eJukebox manages that much songs, you must go through all your songs with a fine-tooth comb BEFORE to import them in eJ. My 40,000 songs/tags are totally clean, and eJukebox works perfectly good with them. The bad idea was to try to remove some unwanted eJukebox popularity tags using a external editor.. Otherwise all is fine! :D

jojo

posted on 5-16-2007 at 07:54 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
Quote:
Yeah man, 40000! I can give you a trick: if you want eJukebox manages that much songs, you must go through all your songs with a fine-tooth comb BEFORE to import them in eJ. My 40,000 songs/tags are totally clean, and eJukebox works perfectly good with them. The bad idea was to try to remove some unwanted eJukebox popularity tags using a external editor.. Otherwise all is fine! :D

Thnx for that :) I thought my tags and files were clean. I re-did all of my Cd's probally in '05 but in that time other players moved them out of order. it seems most are only just %tr#-title << explains the "0" or "1" as the artist, now... I'm fixing all of that today.
Pirk
Posting Freak

posted on 5-16-2007 at 08:07 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
OK jojo, I think you are on the right way: Perfect tags will save you many -even all- future problems in eJukebox.. The thing is to start!
As far as I'm concerned I like to play with fire..

Audiosoft,

That would be great if eJukebox was able to manage its own "asn" tags using the song editor: Reset popularity or rating tags for a song, or a complete album. Even maybe the AutoList Builder could be used to select a targeted group of songs.. All the changes would be saved in the song files, of course! Not only in the database.. In anticipation of any future database rebuild! :o

jojo

posted on 5-16-2007 at 08:28 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
Quote:
OK jojo, I think you are on the right way: Perfect tags will save you many -even all- future problems in eJukebox.. The thing is to start!
As far as I'm concerned I like to play with fire..

Yep me too LOL I have to do something when I'm having a boring week, and reading the news is not a good idea.

I finally took a look at tag&rename. Why I didn't buy it before now I have no idea... I was using Dr. Tag, which I did buy but now hasn't had an update for over 4 years or more :(
Pirk
Posting Freak

posted on 5-16-2007 at 08:40 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
Yeah tag&rename is very handy.. There is also a new tag editor, well new at least for me: "The Godfather". It's a freeware but it seems quite good.
Good luck with your songs and eJukebox! ;)

Audiosoft
Super Administrator

posted on 5-16-2007 at 11:18 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
Maybe you guys should try turning off antivirus when building a large database since antivirus tends to hog the harddrive and slow things down.

Also, if you do find that an audio file is causing the crash please attach it to a post so I can try to get eJukebox to work with it.

Pirk
Posting Freak

posted on 5-17-2007 at 12:32 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
Thanks for your advise Audiosoft, since I've turned off my antivirus the database rebuilding doesn't freeze my system. My PC still slow down but it is not frozen. And the eJukebox database updater continue to make its valorous job in the background while I write this message! That was not the case with the antivirus turned on..

Suggestion: It's a Tip -"Turn off your antivirus during a big database update, to speed-up the process"- that would deserve to be displayed somewhere in the eJukebox database updater dialogues! :o Because I already knew that, but I forgot it..

Aside Question: Your forums was inaccessible for me since my last posts: Is it you Audiosoft who blocked me?? or the CIA? :D

jojo

puzzled.gif posted on 5-17-2007 at 06:51 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
Importing problems

Audiosoft, is there a tool I can use to find out why my tracks fail to import (Crash EJ) I did some tag work and renaming and moving files, but now I'm getting the crash on tracks that worked before.

I'm moving files to:

C:\Media\Music\%artist\%Album\%TR#-%artist-%tittle.xxx

xxx=file type wma, mp3 etc.

Of course all this, I've not even had a chance to get to the tracks that come in as artist "0" <sigh> Is there some way that EJ can report the problem, or have some kind of ability to continue importing other files and reporting problem tracks.

I'm open to ideas here.
Pirk
Posting Freak

posted on 5-17-2007 at 08:20 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
Well, it seems we are both in the misery..

Audiosoft, in my last post I said things become better for me, but unfortunately that was only temporary: The database update worked good from 0 to about 25400 files, but it suddenly deteriorates with no apparent reason! The update became very slow again for the first song of each album (id3 image..), and my PC was again 99% paralized, even if the database update continue slowly.. I can write this post because it has just finished from 25400 to 29314 files imported.. So it took all the afternoon for only 3914 supplementary files imported! And I've not finished.. but I hesitate to start another importation.
I'm quite sure that my problems are related to the virtual RAM memory management, which becomes very slow -and freeze all my system- at some point during the database update process. Strange!? It seems the antivirus is not the unique responsible..

I'm also open to ideas!

Audiosoft
Super Administrator

posted on 5-17-2007 at 10:03 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
Pirk,

Interesting you mention virtual ram. Tell you what...I will post an 4.62 ejukebox.exe that always runs the database update 'in ram' so you can see if it is faster/more stable that way. I am also going to make it so the db.m3u's last file will always be the last song that was attempted to be tag read/added to the database. That way if there is a problem eJukebox will skip over it when you add new files.

As far as 99% CPU - the only known issue that can cause this is incompleted music file downloads...particularly incomplete torrent downloads. Also I discovered eJukebox was attempting to read in ID3 tags on non mp3/mpc files which was slowing it down a little. That has also been fixed so non mp3/mpc will be added faster.

Also, when the database update freezes or fails you should then just go in and "Add new files"...instead of rebuilding the whole thing again. If you do "add new files" eJukebox should pickup where it left off.

v4.62 is now available for download from the forum under Latest Updates.

jojo

posted on 5-17-2007 at 10:39 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
Quote:
Pirk,

Interesting you mention virtual ram. Tell you what...I will post an 4.62 ejukebox.exe that always runs the database update 'in ram' so you can see if it is faster/more stable that way. I am also going to make it so the db.m3u's last file will always be the last song that was attempted to be tag read/added to the database. That way if there is a problem eJukebox will skip over it when you add new files.

Also, when the database update freezes or fails you should then just go in and "Add new files"...instead of rebuilding the whole thing again. If you do "add new files" eJukebox should pickup where it left off.

v4.62 is now available for download from the forum under Latest Updates.

This sounds like a great way to handle this problem and take care of at least the library. Perhaps, is it possible? can EJ write problems to a log of sorts? So, perhaps we can help pinpoint this would be nice.

I look forward to the update :) Keep up the great work.
Audiosoft
Super Administrator

posted on 5-17-2007 at 10:48 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
Link to 4.62 Download

jojo

posted on 5-18-2007 at 01:19 AM Edit Post Reply With Quote
Quote:
Link to 4.62 Download

Right off, I notice displays are MUCH! faster ;) Seems to be anyway. Very nice improvements.... I like ... Thank you so much for helping me keep my sanity.
Pirk
Posting Freak

posted on 5-18-2007 at 10:36 AM Edit Post Reply With Quote
Thanks a lot Audiosoft! I will try that this afternoon, now I go to eat. ;)

Pirk
Posting Freak

posted on 5-18-2007 at 12:05 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
Well.. I've just tried to add some files to the database using ej 4.62, but things are not better for me. My system is a bit less freezed during the update process, but it is still extremely slow... :( The importation of the first song of each album is even more slow than with 4.61: more than 2 minutes with 4.61, about 3 min 20s... with 4.62) So it still takes ages to import new albums! Maybe should I remove all the id3 images of my albums?
I managed to take a screenshot during the database update.. Audiosoft, do you think that all these material faults on the resource monitor are normals?? :o

Pirk has attached this image:
paralysis.jpg - 306.85kb

Well_Jaggy

posted on 5-18-2007 at 02:58 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
Hey Pirk,

I have had the same problem since around 4.2, but I just put it down to my PC as it only had 384MB ram in it. 2gh pentium4

When I last re-built the database (about 2 months ago roughly) it took almost 48 hours to add 27,000 songs. The PC its installed on is standalone and does not access the web at all. It has no firewall, anti virus or anything else running, in fact I have even stopped all non essential services from running at startup, but still it took 2 full days to re-build.

I am ok for now as it has been pretty stable for a while, but I fear for it happening again! Other than that I love EJ!
Pirk
Posting Freak

posted on 5-18-2007 at 03:56 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
Hi Well_Jaggy,

48 hours for 27,000 songs? If you have only 384MB ram maybe it's "normal" it took a long time, I don't know..
In my case I haved not made a full rebuild since a very long time... I can't remember if even I haved not copied my database from XP to Vista! Only as these last days I've removed a lot of unwanted Audiosoft popularity tags in my mp3s using a external editor, now I need to rebuild otherwise eJukebox will re-write its old "asn" datas in my files..
OK, so what is very strange for me is eJukebox has imported more than 25,000 files in a morning, then suddenly (and sadely..) the scanning process performance fallen down with no apparent reason!
The only thing I've changed these last days is when Audiosoft put a version of eJukebox that requested a online registration, 4.59 I think. Then before he posts a fixed version I haved reinstalled a quite old version.. Once he posted the fixed version 4.60, I've made a full install over the old version, but maybe I breaked something in the eJukebox install?? That's crazy!

Audiosoft
Super Administrator

posted on 5-18-2007 at 08:15 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
Pirk,

Do you have enough free hard-drive space for the 'Temporary Internet Files' IE7 folder? I will do my best to get the database update to import mp3s with the id3 embedded images faster. Also I am going to remove the run in ram from the database update for the next version since that doesn't seem to be helping when you don't have allot of ram. I will also look into the memory faults.

Pirk
Posting Freak

posted on 5-18-2007 at 09:29 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
Audiosoft, thanks for your help..

I've just tried to move the temporary internet folder on another disk on which there is more free space, there was only 9Gb free on the system disk, but the database update is not faster than before.. I've also increased the temporary internet folder to the maximum size, I don't know if that can help.. And I haved already tried to delete the temporary internet files.

Do you think that would help if I try to remove the id3 images? The cover.jpg image importation will be faster than embedded images??
EDIT: I've tried to import a album without id3 image, cover.jpg only.. but it seems that's not faster!!! :( Also probably that often I use too large images..

Memory faults: I've read on the web that it's not real "faults", but just when windows can't find datas in RAM then it counts "a fault", and it takes datas from the disk instead..

Thanks.

PS: In my previous posts I said the first 25,000 files was added quite fast. Now I'm thinking that even if the Homepage displayed 7500 songs remaining in the database after the "initial" crash, maybe many images have been recovered (from where?) during the first rebuild? That would explain why the 25,000 first files were faster to add than the following...

PS #2: I'm also thinking that 1024Mb it's not that much for Vista!! As the system monopolizes 600Mb.. it only remains 424Mb for eJukebox!
So I'll try to add more RAM. How much RAM can manage Vista 32 bits? 2Gb, 4Gb?

Pages:  1  2
Post new thread Poll:

Go To Top

Audiosoft Home | Download EJukebox for Windows | Register EJukebox
©2019 Audiosoft Network. All rights reserved.
[queries: 16]
HTML5 Color Picker for CSS Opacity
Short Url Service with Stats