Board Logo

Mp3Gain???
Blaze - 6-24-2003 at 02:08 AM

Have any of you tried it and if so, is it worth anything? Does it alter your files?
There are not much information to be found on their webpage

Rich - 6-24-2003 at 03:12 AM

Blaze,

I've tried it and to be quite honest, I would BEG you not to, or at the very least implore you to "test" it on backup mp3 files!

The problem for me: it dramatically & forever alters the sound quality of the file that it normalizes. My songs were no longer "full" sounding. I would compare the results to a very low bitrate rip.

This was in March of this year. In May they released a newer beta, but I have not tried it.

I have since foregone the direct file manipulation route, and settled with the RockSteady pluging which normalizes the media on-the-fly; albeit not perfectly, but well enough. There's a link to it, as well as others in this forum.

Good Luck,
Rich

Blaze - 6-24-2003 at 10:50 AM

Ok I was affraid of that, IŽll test it first.
I use rocksteady myself, but don't think it's good enough and have many lacks.

stsirois - 6-26-2003 at 12:24 AM

I really like the Audiostocker plugin when I'm at work since I can't play my music too loudly. It allows me to hear all of the soft parts along with the louder parts. I don't think the plugin is being developed anymore, but here's a link to the plugin if you want to try it out:

http://www.shannon.reece.net/audiostocker.zip

Haven't tried RockSteady, but that's because I never found a need to.

Steve