Board Logo

Song Weight
Spazz - 6-16-2004 at 03:33 AM

Right, so I was surfing the winamp forums tonight and came across something I think would kick serious ass if Ejukebox did. Use certain criteria to make it look like a song had more entries inthe database (EG - weight using the star rating system. songs with 1 star would count for 1 song, all the way up to 5 star songs looking like they had 5, making them more likely to come up when nothing in in the playlist)

Would need to be optional though since some are bound to not like it. Maybe a weighted song mode with checks for using song pick counts, star ratings, combinations, etc etc.

Whaddya think? Good, Bad, Shut up and quit requesting inane features? ;)

Audiosoft - 6-16-2004 at 04:28 AM

What is the difference between this and the current Popularity playmode in eJukebox?

Spazz - 6-16-2004 at 04:33 AM

The current popularity mode only lets a song play if it meets X rating or X playcount settings. The mode I'm proposing would in effect let any song in the dbase play but the higher the Rating or Pickcount or whatever the filter is the more likely it is to play. 5 star songs being 5 times more likely to get picked than 1 star songs.

Fishy - 6-16-2004 at 04:53 AM

A probability meter :)

ochristmas - 6-16-2004 at 08:37 AM

Great idea - and "probability meter" sounds like a great term as well!

Blaze - 6-17-2004 at 12:07 PM

Kinda like when radio stations use A, B, & C rotation
Where A is the songs that gets the most airtime.
Right?
If so, I think it would be a great idea

Spazz - 6-17-2004 at 09:13 PM

Basically yeah, that's what I was thinking

Pirk - 6-21-2004 at 07:42 PM

Excellent idea Spazz!

I think this new "Probability meter" would increase my interest in song ratings if that produce them to be played more often when in autoplay random mode, because i use this mode a lot!
And when these super-songs will become a bit old-fashioned, then you only need to lower their ratings to hear them less often... I think that make sense.

jhlurie - 6-21-2004 at 08:41 PM

A much simpler way might be to just display the current popularity rating along with the starred "excellence" rating and allow the popularity number to be manually adjusted (although NOT locked into place since it will continue to "grow" if the song is chosen more in the future, or manually knocked down if you so decide later on).

As for a "5 star" playing 5 times more than a 1 star, I'm not sure I'd want the differential to be on a straight angle like that. It should be more of a steepening curve.