Board Logo

what bit-rate to encode in???
pthorson - 7-27-2004 at 02:31 AM

I am having skipping problems. i encoded at 320 kbit

What can I do now? What settings might be bad?

Phil

Audiosoft - 7-27-2004 at 03:42 AM

160Kb/s - Stereo - Studio Quality

Will give you really good CD Quality Audio.

Spazz - 7-27-2004 at 08:19 AM

What Audiosoft said, though I tend to use 192. That said, skipping shouldn't be a bitrate problem. If anything either your computer is a bit slow, the cd might have been scratched that you ripped or you need to set the buffer in winamp higher.

-Spazz

cbsoundman - 7-29-2004 at 09:58 PM

I use 192 myself. 320 may run into problems with outer audio reading files. The higher the bit rate, the more data is in there so if it does get corrupted or gets skipped on something like a network connection, there is less of a chance for skipping. The drawback is that the computer or device reading those 320kb bit rate files have to work much faster in order to get that increased data read and processed.

I agree with Spazz. Check your system resources and look at memory and CPU Utilization...it may be a question of horsepower. Also, try re-ripping the problem tracks after you have made sure the CD is VERY clean. When I RIP CDs, I usually try to keep other programs from running so that the computer can dedicate its resources to that.

Krobar - 8-1-2004 at 11:34 AM

Going to 320Kb/s with MP3 is not worth it anyway. Lossless compression like wavepack give files of a similar size with perfect audio quality and it works with EJ.

Fishy - 8-2-2004 at 11:32 AM

I prefer vbr at minimum 192 kb/s and max 320 kb/s... Sounds good in my ears at least :) Maybe go a little lower if you have skipping problems. But I would try to increase the buffer in winamp first.. Or get hold of a faster cpu if you can :)

Krobar - 8-2-2004 at 09:01 PM

Try EAC. It offers C3 error correction (Better performance with scratched disks and quality reports). It can multithread leading to much better performance for Hyperthreading and SMP cpus. EAC can use any enocoder and also autoconfigs with Lame (Use the R3Mix setting for excellent audio). It also auto labels using FreeDB and will generate folder names and a playlist for each CD if you wish.

http://www.exactaudiocopy.de

Kimper - 8-14-2004 at 09:43 PM

Agree with Krobar, Excact Audio Copy is the only way to go.