Board Logo

Are you ready for a GOOD eJukebox SKIN?
Pirk - 2-9-2007 at 12:34 AM

eJukebox needs a good skin, no?

I think the interest in eJukebox would be increased tenfold with a real good looking skin, but are you ready to reward the skin designers for this difficult work?
If yes, how many would you pay for a good looking skin?
If no, I think eJukebox will never really take off.. unless if eJukebox was a freeware!
Explain your opinion.

Thanks.

Fishy - 2-9-2007 at 11:53 AM

Actually I think it is the other way around. I don't think your skin will take off, unless it is freeware. There are already a few nice skins for ejukebox, which I think most users would prefer above a skin that costs money. But, if you need empirical evidence for this I am not going to stop your data collection :b

Since I am the first to answer this survey: I am not willing to pay for a good ejukebox skin. Two reasons which pops to mind:

1. I am not willing to pay while there are several skins free of charge. So as long as the Bluej skin, Arctic skin, silvertunes skin and bitsumu skins are free, which I bet they will continue to be. I would choose one of them even if your skin looked like the garden of eden (may I have a look? You have certainly raised the expectations), cooked coffee for me at heavy mornings or rubbed my back when I was begging for it.

2. I am not willing to pay for a small visual improvement as skins at the end of the day offer. I could be willing to pay for additional functionality in ejukebox, such as heavy improvements to the homeview, albumlist etc. This is something skins can not offer.

Of course I can not state that everyone around feels the same about this as I do. It is an interesting discussion, but I think we are heading in the wrong direction if we were to demand cash for skins.

Pirk - 2-9-2007 at 02:31 PM

The thing is that when it's totally free you can have 1000, 2000 or more downloads, but no feedback from these thousands users who have downloaded the skin!! Any feedback is really gratifying, I don't think Audiosoft will say the opposite! I think the least that users should do would be to tell what they like or don't like. I just would see money (or any other kind of exchange?) as a compensation for lack of feedback in the forums.. Audiosoft already works a bit like this!! This is why my skin would be free for those who actively support me, but charged for the others! Only, for that the skin needs to be protected against copy user by user, just like eJukebox.. or else bought once for all, by Audiosoft!
Of course the ideal would be that ALL can be free for everybody, like in the garden of eden.. ;)

Pirk - 2-9-2007 at 10:07 PM

Pirk - 2-9-2007 at 10:09 PM

Audiosoft - 2-9-2007 at 10:14 PM

looks interesting. really need to see the whole thing to have an opinion

Pirk - 2-9-2007 at 10:27 PM

Audiosoft - 2-9-2007 at 10:59 PM

Nice work Pirk! Allot of really nice elements! I am curious as to how the songlist would look if you put this in the songlist.dis

body {

filter: progid:DXImageTransform.Microsoft.gradient(enabled='true', startColorstr=#550000FF, endColorstr=#000000, GradientType=0)
progid:DXImageTransform.Microsoft.gradient(enabled='true', startColorstr=#000000, endColorstr=#110000FF, GradientType=1);

Pirk - 2-9-2007 at 11:07 PM

Pirk - 2-9-2007 at 11:30 PM

It's more dark, but the transparency still works! Interesting no?

Audiosoft - 2-9-2007 at 11:51 PM

yeah.. I was playing around with that filter in BlueJ to see the effect on the background cover tiles.

Your skin looks good Pirk. I think all it needs is some streamlining to make it all blend together more. How does it look when you are looking at only one artist's songs with the artistlist open?

Pirk - 2-10-2007 at 12:29 AM

Thanks Audiosoft.. I've worked hard on it!

More streamlining: You mean better shapes? This is precisely what I don't know how to make easily! :( For example I think maybe my songlist header is too straight because it's just a photoshop effects combination.. I don't know how to make smooth rounded shapes?? (like your new songlist header)

Here is a full view with only a artist:

Pirk - 2-10-2007 at 11:10 AM

Pirk - 2-10-2007 at 11:32 AM

Do you like it guys?

Montana - 2-10-2007 at 11:29 PM

Either black or a slightly textured charcoal grey would be nice.

Andy

Pirk - 2-11-2007 at 10:26 AM

More black? well maybe.. I will see. ;)

Montana - 2-11-2007 at 10:53 AM

I must admit that I'm not liking the blue at all, sorry m8.

That's why I said a black or textured dark grey would be good.

Andy

Pirk - 2-11-2007 at 07:16 PM

Ahh.. ok! So I suppose you don't use the default skin!

I don't think I will change much colors for the time being. But maybe I will make a carbone version the next time.

Thanks for your opinion.

Audiosoft - 2-11-2007 at 09:53 PM

Pirk,

You should think about setting your skin free so that others can work on new versions based on it to add to your collection. Red+Blue may not be the best color scheme.

Pirk - 2-11-2007 at 10:19 PM

OK Audiosoft. So WHO would like to work on my skin to improve it with a better color scheme and also a better streamlining?

Maybe you Audiosoft?? Because.. it's not easy!

If others are interested, you can tell me! You are welcome..

Thanks.

Audiosoft - 2-12-2007 at 05:06 AM

I wouldn't mind trying to create a new skin based on it. Basically just some color tweaking.
Maybe more, i am not sure, but it would be interesting to try some things out.

Pirk - 2-12-2007 at 11:34 AM

Audiosoft,

You said my skin needs some streamlining.. I would really appreciate some help for that too! :)

rllercstr7 - 2-12-2007 at 07:01 PM

Hey Pirk!
I think your skin looks really original! I did have a really long reply typed it up but got a database corruption error when I tried to post that I have been getting a lot lately.

In short the slider on the artistlist sticks out a little bit and doesn't match the silver x and < buttons above the letters and the silver to select the tab being displayed (Home etc.).

As you already mentioned the songlist header needs a little work. I really like the bar you created for the top of the songlist where it says Artist, Play Now etc. Perhaps you could put the same style into the songlist header. I will post a few images you could also consider using that I think might go well there. The first is one I came up with when making a mock up of the new music page a while back.

Hopefully that helps! Unfortunately I have never been to keen on skinning. Sorry it took so long for me to comment, I have been on a ski trip. Great job Pirk!

Pirk - 2-12-2007 at 07:41 PM

Hi rllercstr7! ;)
Thank you very much for your support. I appreciate a lot!

Even if you aren't keen on skinning, I think you could help me a bit if you have some free time.. I would need a few images:

1. A large background image in 800x1200 pixels for the songlist background (listback.jpg). This image is displayed in the songlist background when there is no album cover tiled: long lists.. The image will appear behind the "frozen" surface of the songlist, so it needs to be quite contrasted.

2. Maybe some icons for the other words (Artist, Song name, Rating, Year, Album) in the songlist header (like the note icon behind "New"). Well I don't know if that will fit! If you have ideas..

3. Concerning the color scheme: You could edit one of the screenshots I've posted and just change the colors you don't like (buttons, bars..). Then I will update the corresponding images for the skin.

Thanks.

rllercstr7 - 2-12-2007 at 07:54 PM

Ok Pirk I will give it a shot and post when I have something. Here is kind of what I was trying to explain with the songlist.

Pirk - 2-12-2007 at 08:05 PM

OK, thanks rllercstr7.

Just a little thing: You say "songlist" in your posts.. but in fact you mean PLAYLIST! The Songlist is the part on the right of eJukebox. The Playlist is the left part.

rllercstr7 - 2-12-2007 at 08:15 PM

Yeah, sorry about that Pirk. Also I have and idea for the songlist background if it can be an animated gif. Do you know if thats possible?

Audiosoft - 2-12-2007 at 08:20 PM

yes animated gifs can be used for the background image. you can use animated gifs in the now playing, playlist, artistlist, songlist and albumlist. It would be nice to have a skin with some animation effects even if it does use a little extra cpu.

rllercstr7 - 2-13-2007 at 12:22 AM

Here are a couple backgroungs Pirk although I have no idea if they will look any good since I cant try them out. Neither are animated and I don't know if I will get enough time to try that idea.

rllercstr7 - 2-13-2007 at 12:23 AM

Another similar one.

rllercstr7 - 2-13-2007 at 06:45 AM

I attempted to make an alternate pop-up case for your skin Pirk and think it turned out really well. It looks best in action so give it a try and let me know what you think :D

Pirk - 2-13-2007 at 12:40 PM

Well I would say that is your interpretation of my color scheme.. the ejukebox logo is well visible, but I don't think the background needs to be inevitably red-blue! That is to much red-blue. I think maybe a luminous golden background would be better.

Thanks rllercstr7.

rllercstr7 - 2-13-2007 at 07:36 PM

Pirk here are a couple more attempts with gold in them. The other color is the purple from the songlist not blue. It would be nice to get a hold of your skin as I really have no clue how these things will look. Let me know what you think!

rllercstr7 - 2-13-2007 at 07:36 PM

Another with eJukebox indented.

Pirk - 2-13-2007 at 08:52 PM

rllercstr7, Thanks again, but I forgot to say you a little thing: I don't like much this kind of photoshop criss-cross pattern! And also as my frozen texture is already diagonally striped..
However I like the corrugated "eJukebox" text in your last image.

I know that to find a good background image for my frozen skin is a challenge! I would prefer something more random. Until now the famous Norwegian plastic bag remain the best.

rllercstr7 - 2-13-2007 at 11:11 PM

I tried again and replaced the images in the last couple of posts with the new ones. They are not real random, but I kept with the same corrugated look and made the background gold and black. The text that looks chromish can easilly be changed to something else.

Pirk - 2-14-2007 at 12:42 AM

rllercstr7, your "Golden Indent" image works rather good!

If you could make exactly the same, but without the roughcast texture. Just keep the black-golden shading.
The indented ejukebox logo is perfect in grey, don't change it (just remove the rough texture in it too).

And if you could also make another version with the shading in golden-black (instead of black-golden), maybe that will look better in my skin.

Thanks a lot.

rllercstr7 - 2-14-2007 at 01:07 AM

Here ya go!

Pirk - 2-14-2007 at 01:10 AM

Otherwise guys, I've started to arrange the skin directory, it is now reduced to only 5 Mo.. :)

rllercstr7 - 2-14-2007 at 01:14 AM

And here is the second one you requested.

Pirk - 2-14-2007 at 01:33 AM

Thank you very much rllercstr7!

Here is how that looks:

What do you think?

rllercstr7 - 2-14-2007 at 01:36 AM

Wow! that looks really cool streaking eJukebox like that behind the songlist. Looks great. I'm glad I finally came up with something that worked :D

Pirk - 2-14-2007 at 01:45 AM

Yeah! This is your work man! I keep it. The skin will be finished soon.. :D

rllercstr7 - 2-14-2007 at 02:02 AM

Pirk I found one more little thing in the skin. It looks like you hit the songlist top boarder with the eraser or something and a little gouge is missing.

Pirk - 2-14-2007 at 12:42 PM

No rllercstr7, it's deliberate! :P This is a field separator!! I've just keep this one because the others field move and so they look bad.. Well rather the songlist moves compared with the header.. The album field is the only one which is perfectly stable.

Now you know what it is, I hope you will like it! :)

rllercstr7 - 2-14-2007 at 06:48 PM

Here is a golden cd you can use for the nocover.jpg image that I have been using a while. It might look good.

Fishy - 2-14-2007 at 06:50 PM

Would be even cooler if the (white) background was transparent? :)

Pirk, very nice work!

Have you considered to use other playicons in the playlist? Also, the play icons in the songlist could be made more explicit? As a new user I am not sure if I would have thought "aha, this button plays songs" right away. I think I would have used a more 'cdplayer-alike" playbutton, which blended more into the blue background. Would make the skin look less cluttered and more streamlined as well?

Also I do not like the orange hightlight color used in the artistlist. I would have used a more neutral color here as well. Maybe this is a matter of taste. I tend to enjoy dark and discreet interfaces.

Finally, I would have changed the style used for the buttons in the albumlist (refresh, options, etc.). I think the style used in arctic skin (don't remember the name) looks a little smoother and more like things that are pushable :)

Pirk - 2-14-2007 at 07:57 PM

rllercstr7, thanks for your no cover cd. I will try it.

Fishy, I will consider your remarks concerning the orange color.. But as it's a lot of work (for a poor graphic artist like me), probably that will be in a futur version.

rllercstr7 - 2-14-2007 at 09:04 PM

Fishy I tried to get rid of the white by saving it as a png image, but ejukebox looks for the exact filename nocover.jpg so it wouldn't work with another file extension and I don't know how to change that.

I can see where Fishy is comming from when he says a first time user may not know that the little CD is to play the song now, however I really like that symbol and thing it is original. If anything is to be changed I say do it in a later version and just concentrate on getting this one out.

Audiosoft - 2-14-2007 at 09:11 PM

You should use transparent .GIF images for transparency. PNGs only works if you have IE7 installed. So just save it as a GIF (only supports 256 colors) or you can save it as a JPG and fill in the transparent parts with the now playing background so you have full color for the gradients.

Pirk - 2-14-2007 at 09:59 PM

Hmm.. All my images are png! I hope you have ie7 installed guys? :o

rllercstr7 - 2-14-2007 at 10:00 PM

Hmmm,
The image looks pretty bad and develops readlly jaged edges when I save it as a gif unfortunately. I dont have the gradient you are using Pirk, but here is the psd where it has a transparent back if you would like to play with it.

Pirk - 2-15-2007 at 12:46 AM

I can't blend your cover with my background directly because the nowplaying background is resized differently than the nocover image.. but it's still possible to add a background to your cd image:

Pirk - 2-15-2007 at 12:53 AM

This one is a bit textured and transparent..

Pirk - 2-15-2007 at 01:04 AM

How it looks in real situation:

rllercstr7 - 2-15-2007 at 01:58 AM

If other parts of your skin use png images why don't we just use one for the no cover cd too?

Pirk - 2-15-2007 at 12:27 PM

If other parts of your skin use png images why don't we just use one for the no cover cd too?
I agree that would be great, but only Audiosoft could allow the png extension because as the "nocover.jpg" image name is not specified in the nowplaying.dis file we can't change its extension in our skins.. Currently eJukebox just search for a nocover.jpg file in the skin folder, a nocover.png image is ignored!

Audiosoft, maybe could you allow the PNG file type for the nocover image?

Audiosoft - 2-15-2007 at 08:33 PM

eJukebox currently can use nocover.gif or nocover.jpg. I will think about adding support for nocover.png but I am reluctant to do so because if the user only has IE6 then the transparent parts will show up solid white.

rllercstr7 - 2-15-2007 at 09:12 PM

Hmmm,
What is the downside to that since Pirks skin will probably need IE7 anyways Audiosoft? Even for those with IE6 the nocover image would look similar to the one that exists now that in fact does have a solid white background. It would be nice for those of us with IE7 and virtually no change for IE6 users. I could maybe understand more if IE was something you have to pay to upgrade to but since its not I don't quite understand the logic.

Audiosoft - 2-15-2007 at 10:22 PM

OK I will make nocover.png work for the next version of eJukebox. The only thing is: the skin that first time users see must look good on IE6 (so that it works on a fresh Win2k/XP install)...that means no PNG's (except for the song change album popup png) in the startup skin but I can still include Pirk's skin in the eJukebox installer if he wants.

Pirk - 2-16-2007 at 05:43 PM

Thanks a lot Audiosoft! That will be perfect if you allow a nocover.png file in the next version of eJukebox. And I will be delighted if you can add my skin in the eJukebox installer!

Concerning ie6, I've tried my skin on a win xp fresh install, and even without the transparency effects the songlist looks rather good. I just need to adjust a effect in the artistlist, the other parts work perfectly.

Pirk - 2-19-2007 at 09:19 PM

Here is my Crimson skin which now include a new version of the songlist. What do you think guys?

Audiosoft, could you allow this in the songlist files:

.albumrule{ height: 0px; }

So i mean no albumrule at all! :D

Thanks a lot.

rlailey - 2-19-2007 at 10:35 PM

That'll be my default skin Pirk when it's available

Pirk - 2-19-2007 at 11:17 PM

Thanks rlailey!

I've also found a nice background for the songlist:

Pirk - 2-19-2007 at 11:20 PM

Here is how it looks behind a long songlist:

rllercstr7 - 2-19-2007 at 11:30 PM

Hmm,
I kinda liked the blue behind the play now icon and dark purple behind the stars in the songlist.

Pirk - 2-19-2007 at 11:42 PM

No problem rllercstr7, the first version will be available too! This last version will be the normal songlist, the other blue the X-large songlist. And I've a third different version for the songlist large..

Pirk - 2-20-2007 at 12:46 AM

Do you prefer this version in blue?

rllercstr7 - 2-20-2007 at 01:11 AM

yes, I prefer the blue. When you said the x-large version did you just mean a special version where everything will be larger for viewing on TVs, touchscreens etc?

Pirk - 2-20-2007 at 01:16 AM

Do you like this version guys? :)

Audiosoft - 2-20-2007 at 01:18 AM

Pirk,

Do you have a nocover.png with the transparency yet? Can you post it so I can test it out and make sure it will work with the next version of eJukebox?

Pirk - 2-20-2007 at 01:23 AM

Quote:
Message original : rllercstr7
yes, I prefer the blue. When you said the x-large version did you just mean a special version where everything will be larger for viewing on TVs, touchscreens etc?

Yes and No, X-large only apply to the songlist: Right click menu on the songlist: Skin font/size...
Otherwise we can make different versions of a skin to have some large fonts everywhere..

Pirk - 2-20-2007 at 01:28 AM

Quote:
Message original : Audiosoft
Hey Pirk,

Do you have a nocover.png with the transparency yet? Can you post it so I can test it out and make sure it will work with the next version of eJukebox?

Yes of course.. :)

Pirk - 2-20-2007 at 02:03 AM

Guys, do you prefer this version with the PlayNow CD or the previous version with the orange shape?

Audiosoft - 2-20-2007 at 03:00 AM

Thanks for the nocover.png Pirk.
I got that working perfectly for the now playing panel. Just make sure to include a .jpg along with the nocover.png. The songchange album popup needs to use a nocover.jpg otherwise the cover will not update.

BTW try this to get rid of the line between albums in the songlist.

.albumrule {

background: transparent;
padding: 0px;
margin: 0px;
border: 0px;
height: 0px;

}

rllercstr7 - 2-20-2007 at 04:46 AM

I like the orange shape better just because its original and the color blending.

Pirk - 2-20-2007 at 12:27 PM

Audiosoft,

Thank you very much for the new nocover.png transparency feature in the NP pannel.

Thank you too for your albumrule trick.. But unfortunately that doesn't work! It sill remains a 1 pixel row between each album..
It seems that something exceed the css parameters?

Audiosoft - 2-20-2007 at 08:33 PM

hmmm...instead of background: transparent;
maybe try background-color: #CCCCCC;
or background-color: #FFFFFF;
so maybe it will blend in better.

You can also use try using a background image or gradient filter.

Pirk - 2-20-2007 at 09:45 PM

Ok Audiosoft, but that would be better if I could remove it entirely, like in the old time of eJukebox!! So it's a kind of "feature remove request"..
I still like the albumrule, but for this kind of skin including a "songrule" (in fact the bottom line is on top - cf my screenshot), that would look better without any albumrule.

What is preventing to temporarily remove the albumrule in a skin?

Thanks.

Audiosoft - 2-20-2007 at 10:21 PM

Pirk, I have updated it for the next version so you can add:

[SongList]
DisableAlbumRule=1

to the bottom of songlist.dis to disable the albumrule line. Do NOT put this inside .albumrule { }. Only add it to the end of the songlist.dis files right before /* END eJukebox Song List Display Definitions */

Pirk - 2-20-2007 at 10:34 PM

Wow! That will be perfect. Thanks a lot Audiosoft.

Pirk - 2-27-2007 at 12:39 PM

My eJ Crimson Skin is now available for download from here: http://www.audiosoft.net/forums/viewthread.php?tid=2035 And it is FREE for everyone..

Enjoy!

thomaslist - 10-20-2020 at 04:35 AM

Coach Outlet finest selection
Champion Free Shipping
Denmark Adidas NMD Boost
Authentic Adidas Discount Outlet
Ed Hardy Tiger Tatto Hoodies
Nike SB Shoes Cool Black
Lowest Price ED Hardy T Shirts
Off White Hoodies Top Designer
Coach Purses Discount
Official Coach